Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a wetsuit for 100 euros

Options
  • 29-01-2013 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Beginner here, a full suit for Irish surfing at that price, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Winter wetsuits start at around 150ish for entry level. Id pick one up used if you don't have a problem with that.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

not a hope in hell, buy cheap buy twice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Aquilard

Around that price new can be hard to find, I know Portwest in Mayo have their own brand suits which are in and around that price. Used to use them i was starting out. One thing about buying in that price range is that they are not very durable and you may only get a season out of it.
    Could look for a secondhand one if you don't mind that. My advice save up for a bit and get mid priced suit that will be better quality and last you longer.

Try some brands like alder and circle one have something at plenty different prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 darragh97

not a hope in hell, buy cheap buy twice

+1 and it literally is your own balls on the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

The Skins 5ml legend is ok for an entry level suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/billabong-foil-543mm-surfers-chest-zip-wetsuit-f45m06-new-2011-3mm-hood-blackblue-logo-p-6964.html

100 sterling so prob about 130 euros.

Couple of other suits cheaper than that on that site as well but I picked up a 4/3 version of this suit last year for summer/autumn/spring use and was impressed with it.

OB.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

Thanks all

Looking on wetsuitoutlet, from the size chart I am MS

How about this?
    http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/rip-curl-dawn-patrol-wetsuit-charcoalblack-w2659-new-2011-p-6315.html

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Looks ok, I can't tell if the seams are taped or not, if they are not I would generally avoid the suit. They are on the billabong one.

Note that these suits aren't really going to be suitable for this time of year (mid-winter), plus you'll need booties, a hood and gloves (if ure soft) which will push out your budget a bit. Plus if you a beginner, surfing this time of year would only put you off.

But for late spring, summer, autumn, that suit would be grand.

Finally, sizing varies slightly for each brand, I would err on the smaller size when looking at the size charts as a snug fitting cheap suit is ten times better than a too loose expensive suit. Try in a shop if you can, alternatively, just buy in a shop, bound to be some local deals on winter suits coming into the spring.

looks like a pretty decent suit. As OuterBombie said hard to know with the sizes as they differ for company to company. Have you got any surf shops near you?? try and on a Ripcurl suit and see what the size is like before you order one, dont tell them that though!
    Should be grand for the weather, everyone feels the cold a bit different. again as said above you will need and boots and hood, gloves make for more comfort but can manage without.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

And when the shop shuts down, you should also feel real proud at what you've done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

rodento wrote: »
    And when the shop shuts down, you should also feel real proud at what you've done

Give it a rest eh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Plenty of good start pack offers in local surf shops

rodento wrote: »

Did not mean it in that way just to see the size, nothing wrong with brousing and going for the best offer. obviously buy something like a magazine or a few bars of wax

or alternately find a friend with a similar wetsuit to judge the size

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭I dont know

I can recommend the O'Neill Epic 5x3. Its nice and warm.
    You can get it slightly cheaper online, but if you surf in Bundoran, the surf shop there is doing it for €129 and its worth the extra few quid to get to try it on etc especially if its your first wetsuit imo

http://bundoransurfshop.com/index.php/wetsuits/wetsuits-mens-winter.html

Surfworld in Bundoran also have a pretty good selection of second hand wetsuits if you'd consider them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Stingerbar wrote: »
    Thanks all

Looking on wetsuitoutlet, from the size chart I am MS

How about this?
    http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/rip-curl-dawn-patrol-wetsuit-charcoalblack-w2659-new-2011-p-6315.html

You probably get a suit for in and around that price in a shop. It's a good time of year to buy one. If a suit is too small it will be very hard to put on, hard to move properly in and will eventually tear or split the liquid seals. Too big and you'll get flushed through with cold water all the time.

As a rough quide.
    http://www.portwest.ie/storefront/listproducts.aspx?idcategory=8115&viewmode=&curpage=1&pgstrt=1&pgend=2

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

I,m with rodento on the surf shops. What are you saving €20 or €30 and if theres anything wrong its a pain in the ass and some people will probably go to the local surf shop to see if they can sort it then anyway. Its a long road and I know it cant be done all the time but if you can buy local and help a local man in business, paying wages, rates etc and giving stickers out for free to young groms in annoying his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

I would say get one local, if it's a winter wetsuit as some don't really stock the desired summer suits.

I bought a winter in the spring for 150, I'm sure there are better quality for around the same pricing now. If you can, buy local as it does come back to favour you.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Here you go....

http://www.sunset.ie/p/cskins_surflite_5x3_stmr

John will also have a range of decent suits of all prices with discounts as Spring/Summer approaches.
    I've gotten a few Gul 5/4/3's there over the years.

Sligo based by the way as well as Spynet.

Advertisement