Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Adams Statement on the killing of Adrian Donohoe and Jerry McCabe

• 29-01-2013 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭

Speaking in the Dáil this evening during statements on the murder of Det Garda Adrian Donohoe, Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams TD said:

“Ba mhaith liom mo comhbhrón ó chroí a thabhairt do cairde, teaghlaigh, agus do comhghleacaithe Bleachtaire Adrian Donohoe.

“I want to extend my deepest sympathies to the family, friends and colleagues of Detective Garda Adrian Donohoe.

“On my own behalf and on behalf of Sinn Féin I want to express especially our solidarity and sincerest condolences to Adrian’s wife Caroline and his children Amy and Niall.

“This killing has shocked the entire community, especially in the very closely knit Cooley area in County Louth and in South Armagh.

“I didn’t know Adrian Donohoe personally but I know many people who did.
    He was a valued and widely-respected member of our local community and there is a deep sense of shock and loss.

“The death of Garda Donohoe has also provoked memories of the killing of Garda Jerry McCabe and the wounding of Garda Ben O Sullivan in June 1996.

“I want to apologise to Mrs McCabe and the McCabe family, and to Garda Ben O Sullivan and to the families of other members of the state forces who were killed by republicans in the course of the conflict

“I am very sorry for the pain and loss inflicted on those families. No words of mine can remove that hurt. Dreadful events cannot be undone.

“But I want to restate that the resolve of Sinn Féin and of the majority of Irish people is to ensure that there is never ever a recurrence of conflict.

“Members of An Garda Siochána do a dangerous job. They take risks for all of us. Adrian Donohoe showed great courage when he confronted armed criminals at Lordship. He died in defence of other citizens.
    “I want to appeal to anybody with any information about this crime to co-operate with the Gardaí or the PSNI.

“I hope that those responsible are speedily brought to justice.

“My thoughts and prayers are with Adrian Donohoe’s family and colleagues at this very difficult time.

“Ar dheis dé go raibh anam

Quite unexpected I think, what he said about McCabe

Overdue many would say.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭houseplant

Quite hollow with Martin Ferris sitting behind him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Good to hear, at last.
    Now if he would just admit his role as an IRA leader, and his role in the shameful murder of Jean Mc Conville.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

houseplant wrote: »
    Quite hollow with Martin Ferris sitting behind him.
    Cant win can he?

As for Martin Ferris collecting them you have to wonder why the individuals decided to have themselves and their case removed from any negotiations when they didn't have to and opted to serve their full term in jail, all while others were released who did similar if not worse under the GFA.

I wonder why they decided to do that?

Out of the goodness of their hearts?

Think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Big move this by Gerry. The people up north will hear it and be looking for an apology too. I can just see Peter Robinson and all demanding apologies now for RUC officers and soldiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It's nice to see but it would have been good to also hear him apologize for campaigning for his killers release.

Still its a step in the right direction in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Merelyme

woodoo wrote: »
    Big move this by Gerry. The people up north will hear it and be looking for an apology too. I can just see Peter Robinson and all demanding apologies now for RUC officers and soldiers.

That'd be a two-way street. Nevertheless, it really is time to move forward. Welcome words from Gerry Adams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Unexpected and a pleasant surprise. Looking at the language used, it is quite a significant statement and it should be warmly welcomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Sorry. I've become inured to the shallow sympathy and the crocodile tears of Sinn Féin, it's hard to take anything they say seriously.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

"In the course of the conflict"? They were robbing a post office.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

"In the course of the conflict"? They were robbing a post office.
    ...and didn't take any money. Some robbery.

Remorse is good, but I have my doubts about the sincerity of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭maccored

fair dues to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

It's just damage limitation in the event that the murder of Adrian Donohoe is linked to republicans (which is still a distinct possibility, what with it being a cross-border armed criminal gang that seems to operate between South Armagh and Dundalk).

There is nothing to suggest that his views on the murder of McCabe were any different last week, last year, or a decade ago.

Having said that, this is a positive statement. Most of the value of it is lost, however, due to the fact that it was only prompted by the public outcry concerning the recent death of the garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 eoghan_85

The thing I found most interesting about this statement (I don't think for a second it was sincere by the way), is that it is the closest that Gerry Adams has ever come to a formal admission of being a senior member of the IRA. If he were not a member, then who could he claim to be apologising on behalf of? As he continuously stressed over the last 30 years, Sinn Fein is not the IRA and vice versa - if so then why should SF apologise for an act committed by the IRA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

It's just damage limitation in the event that the murder of Adrian Donohoe is linked to republicans (which is still a distinct possibility, what with it being a cross-border armed criminal gang that seems to operate between South Armagh and Dundalk).

I agree and it is way too late for an apology, shallow as this one is. I don't understand why he is apologising for something that the IRA did when SF is supposed to have no links to them! Shame he didn't feel this way when he was campaigning for the release of McCabe's murderers. It is just another cheap insincere stunt by SF to try and put a respectable facade on their party. Why didn't he come out with this statement on the other 100 occasions he was asked about the McCabe murder?

COYW wrote: »
    I agree and it is way too late for an apology, shallow as this one is. I don't understand why he is apologising for something that the IRA did when SF is supposed to have no links to them.

Shame he didn't feel this way when he was campaigning for the release of McCabe's murderers. It is just another cheap insincere stunt by SF to try and put a respectable facade on their party. Why didn't he come out with this statement on the other 100 occasions he was asked about the McCabe murder?
    Ah, so he shouldnt have bothered so.

Seemed pretty sincere to me. What do you want him to do?

He didnt have to say it.

GRMA wrote: »

He didnt have to say it.

I know he didn't but do you not find the timing interesting? I mean, it is nice to see that he recognises how disgusting that murder was but he has been questioned about it on countless occasions and has never expressed such a sentiment. Before this he defended the murderers to the last, treating them like heroes and campaigned for their release.

Also, the IRA killed him, why would Adams apologies for their actions, since he was never a member of that "organisation". I mean, I wouldn't apologise for something that another organisation did, of which I was not a member, would you?

I, like every law abiding citizen, want him to start treating the people of this country with some respect and answer the questions relating to his past fully and honestly. He has failed to do this on countless occasions and I find his snubbing of the issue disrespectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

There is nothing to suggest that his views on the murder of McCabe were any different last week, last year, or a decade ago.

Having said that, this is a positive statement. Most of the value of it is lost, however, due to the fact that it was only prompted by the public outcry concerning the recent death of the garda.

Totally agree - on the basis of his statement I'm convinced that it will come out soon enough that there is a republican connection to the murder.

Seems like a blatant attempt at political spin/PR/whitewashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

woodoo wrote: »

Looking forward to the RUC apologies too, in that case.

Pretty much. The time for him to express his "shock horror" was seventeen years ago with the rest of the right thinking citizens of this country. At that time there was just the tiniest smidgeon of a possibility we might have thought him sincere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Looking forward to the RUC apologies too, in that case.

And there are many due!

• Advertisement

68Murph68 wrote: »
    Totally agree - on the basis of his statement I'm convinced that it will come out soon enough that there is a republican connection to the murder.

So what if there is a republican connection?

Sinn Féin have nothing to do with dissident republicans they are hated by them

And afaik the police have said they dont suspect dissidents anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

You have to admire the speed with which GA issued his apology...only 17 years. Any I assume he's apologising on behalf of the IRA....of whom he was not a member!!!

He didnt have to say it.

I think Lance Armstrong was more convincing at least he accepts his rode a bike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

It's mad, the ones who have called for an apology for years are now put out that it has happened. I think it backs up what a lot of SF people have been saying for years, they never really cared about the Garda, just the oppertunity to attack Sinn Fein.

realies wrote: »
    It's mad, the ones who have called for an apology for years are now put out that it has happened. I think it backs up what a lot of SF people have been saying for years, they never really cared about the Garda, just the oppertunity to attack Sinn Fein.

Quit playing the SF victim card, for god's sake! He is apologising for a murder committed by the IRA, yet he was never a member of the IRA? He has supported the murderers for the last 17 years but is against them today, for some strange reason.

realies wrote: »

Maybe after 17 years its a bit hard to be ecstatic!

COYW wrote: »
    Quit playing the SF victim card, for god's sake! He is apologising for a murder committed by the IRA, yet he was never a member of the IRA? He has supported the murderers for the last 17 years.

Love him or hate him the man has never been convicted of IRA membership or activities. Maybe we should lock you up for IRA membership too ?

If you are so convinced of his membership will you please contact your local Garda or PSNI station and share your evidence to them. I am sure they would be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It's fairly obvious why SF did this, is it not?
    Self serving vote grabbing and softening up the public towards SF in the medium to long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

68Murph68 wrote: »

It is increasingly likely that the people behind the murder of the detective are a criminal gang based just north of the border but from the south. Have been responsible for numerous incidents in Armagh, Louth, Monaghan and Cavan. Hope the net closes quickly and are put away for a long time

• Advertisement

Maybe after 17 years its a bit hard to be ecstatic!

Don't have to be ecstatic but the apology should be welcomed not criticised.

He's apologizing on behalf of the republican movement and on behalf of republicans...

I thought this was a good and welcome development but apparently not.

What authority has GA to apologise for the murder of Jerry McCabe. if he was not a member of the IRA ans had no responsibility for the murder, what exactly is he apologising for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Dammed if they do, dammed if they dont. Got to love Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

bmaxi wrote: »
    Sorry. I've become inured to the shallow sympathy and the crocodile tears of Sinn Féin, it's hard to take anything they say seriously.
    eoghan_85 wrote: »
    The thing I found most interesting about this statement (I don't think for a second it was sincere by the way), is that it is the closest that Gerry Adams has ever come to a formal admission of being a senior member of the IRA. If he were not a member, then who could he claim to be apologising on behalf of? As he continuously stressed over the last 30 years, Sinn Fein is not the IRA and vice versa - if so then why should SF apologise for an act committed by the IRA?

Exactly
    He's apologizing on behalf of the republican movement and on behalf of republicans...

Including the terrorists his party supported but of whom he was never a member? How is he qualified to speak on their behalf so?

He's just worried about the fallout if this turns out to republicans in any guise.

jank wrote: »
    Dammed if they do, dammed if they dont. God to love Ireland.

If that is the kind of cynical crocodile tears stuff we have to put up with, then you are right...God love Ireland indeed.

• Advertisement

Dammed if they do, dammed if they dont. God to love Ireland.

The only way I would give SF any credit for anything they say (in relation to the past) is if it is backed up by clear actions.
    That and of course the fact that they have convicted terrorists in their ranks. Let them off and I'd be a bit more amiable to what they say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

kippy wrote: »
    The only way I would give SF any credit for anything they say (in relation to the past) is if it is backed up by clear actions.
    That and of course the fact that they have convicted terrorists in their ranks. Let them off and I'd be a bit more amiable to what they say.

So, your saying we should scrap the Good Friday Agreement?

So, your saying we should scrap the Good Friday Agreement?

Of course not.
    The GFA was responsible for the massive reduction in innocent people dying.
    It's the kinda stuff like this (amoung other things that current members have been involved in) that irk me.
    http://www.iclvr.ie/en/ICLVR/Pages/TheDisappeared

kippy wrote: »
    Of course not.
    The GFA was responsible for the massive reduction in innocent people dying.
    It's the kinda stuff like this (amoung other things that current members have been involved in) that irk me.
    http://www.iclvr.ie/en/ICLVR/Pages/TheDisappeared
    Yes and "sticking by" the McCabe killers was a vital part of that - they did issue a statement through the IRA that they wanted to be excluded from negotiations and disregarded from early release schemes - which they clearly qualified for. (I wonder why they did that?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭OCorcrainn

It is amazing to see the same constant people who always accused Sinn Féin of being behind the killing of McCabe and demanding an apology from Sinn Féin (despite the fact it was paramilitaries who killed McCabe not Sinn Féin).

And despite that fact even when they do issue an apology they are then criticised by the same people. :rolleyes:

Seriously get a grip, grow up, move on like normal people and grind your axes elsewhere.

You people have no idea how pathetic you look.

• Advertisement

OCorcrainn wrote: »
    It is amazing to see the same constant people who always accused Sinn Féin of being behind the killing of McCabe and demanding an apology from Sinn Féin (despite the fact it was paramilitaries who killed McCabe not Sinn Féin).

And despite that fact even when they do issue an apology they are then criticised by the same people. :rolleyes:

Seriously get a grip, grow up, move on like normal people and grind your axes elsewhere.

Are you talking to me?
    Normal people don't give cold blooded killers as much sympathy as some in this thread - apologies or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭flutered

dammed when he did, dammed when he didint, i have posted the same words on another thread here on boards, while the clip was been shown on the 6.01 i had a a vision of something similar to this being on boards tonight.

OCorcrainn wrote: »

So let me get this straight... SF and IRA had absolutely no connection with each other...male cow faeces!!!

flutered wrote: »
    dammed when he did, dammed when he didint, i have posted the same words on another thread here on boards, while the clip was been shown on the 6.01 i had a a vision of something similar to this being on boards tonight.

Lad, if he had done it at the time, he mightn't be as damned if he did.

Im happy enough he said it. Im not too worried about those complaining about how adams has never apologised and now complain that he did. Obviously it would have been wonderful if the conflict in the north had never happened at all, but it did and at least he has the balls to say it. Pity the current and last government dont have the balls to run the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

Apologies from Mr. Adams are very welcome developments. However, I suspect there may be ulterior motives behind the apology.

I'm sure the huge support shown for our police force during these last few days has not gone unnoticed by Sinn Fein's PR people. Mr Adams refusal to apologise previously for deplorable acts of violence carried out on our police force has been a major blot on the collective Sinn Fein copybook. The party have been doing rather well in the polls but perhaps have reached saturation point amongst inner city and working class voters. Another concern for SF is the resurgance shown by FF. It's in the middle classes where they have difficulty gaining traction in the polls. This apology and perhaps a change of leadership to a younger, unsullied and southern based member of the party (McDonald/Doherty) might just open the door to a whole new constituency of voters (along with a taming down of some more radical policies)

Call me a cynic but it's just how I see it.

I dont care why he said. He said it. its on record and he cant deny ever saying it. If it was something he strongly disbelieved in, then thats a mad thing to do. Otherwise, he obviously does believe in what he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

bmaxi wrote: »

Thankfully, the British government took their word seriously many years ago now. So you Keep holding on to that bitterness and keep living in the past.

mongoman wrote: »
    Thankfully, the British government took their word seriously many years ago now. So you Keep holding on to that bitterness and keep living in the past.

I'm impressed at your insight into the what the British Government thinks, has the whole decommissioning saga eluded you? I would say the British Government's opinion of and confidence in, Sinn Fein, is on much the same level as it was 40 years ago. They entered into an agreement, not a love affair.
    The Gardai and the PSNI have both concluded that those who committed this crime came from the Louth/South Armagh area, it's common knowledge that nothing goes down in this area without the knowledge or approval of "former' IRA members. Personally, I could take a stab at the identity of the person whose "approval" was given, I'd wager Mr. Adams is well acquainted with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭golfball37

Reading this thread and wondering why we live in a banana republic now doesn't seem all that unrelated. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. There are too many experts on all things here. Of course there's political expediancy to saying this now after a gard has been murdered. Give yourselves a gold star for figuring that one out !

There's a comment page 1 which is borderline libelious I would have thought too? Whatever Adams was/is he is worth 10 of any of the current cabinet imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement