Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disable upnp on your router ASAP

Options
  • 29-01-2013 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭

UPnP networking flaw puts millions of PCs at risk. Danger stems from widely used tech found in routers & net gear

m.cnet.com/news/upnp-networking-flaw-puts-millions-of-pcs-at-risk/57566366

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Is there any tool available that determines whether a router is vulnerable or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Is there any tool available that determines whether a router is vulnerable or not?

Here:
    https://community.rapid7.com/community/infosec/blog/2013/01/29/security-flaws-in-universal-plug-and-play-unplug-dont-play (Windows only)

From this article

Scan your router online.

upnp-check.rapid7.com

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

thank you !! was able to disable it under the NAT settings in my router

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Scan your router online.

upnp-check.rapid7.com
    Mmmm, 9 times out of 10 it just sits there forever with the spinning cogwheel, and the rare time it ever comes up with anything it's for an IP address in a range that doesn't even exist on my local network and for an OS (Ubuntu 7.1) that isn't running there either. Not impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Worked first time for me.

Khannie wrote: »
    Worked first time for me.
    Did it come up with anything sensible?

Alun wrote: »
    Mmmm, 9 times out of 10 it just sits there forever with the spinning cogwheel, and the rare time it ever comes up with anything it's for an IP address in a range that doesn't even exist on my local network and for an OS (Ubuntu 7.1) that isn't running there either. Not impressed.
    Actually on closer inspection the results screen I saw was their 'example' results screen, must have clicked on the wrong link.

So, it still just sits there and does nothing, tried on 3 different PC's so far with both FF 18 and IE 9.

Yeah, it said I was safe. Took about 30 seconds. I was using firefox on my android phone (over wifi).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I've had UPnP disabled on my router for some time now, as recommended by the "Security Now" podcast.

Nothing to do with this vulnerability, but if malware gets on your system I believe it can use upnp to punch holes in your firewall.

And some routers don't show the upnp changes made in their user interface, so you'd never know.

If an application needs something changed on the router, I'd rather do it manually myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

worked first time for me too ... said i was at risk .. diasabled the setting in my router... on second scan it took a bit longer but then said all is good ... it is for windows os only i believe

GRC's 'Shields Up' has been updated to test for this:

UPnPtest.png

it is for windows os only i believe

Nope....
    Khannie wrote: »
    I was using firefox on my android phone (over wifi).

The underlying OS that your browser is connecting from should make no difference to the scan whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

If I disable uPNP on the router's administration page, will this stop the router from responding to uPNP requests on the WAN interface? Or does this depend on the implementation of uPNP on the specific model of router I'm using (I'm using a Cisco EPC2425 btw). I presume one could just configure the router to block UDP port 1900 inbound in any case.

Also is there a list of vulnerable devices online somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

WNDR3800 is safe according to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭yes chance

yes chance wrote: »
    That has been unsafe for years

I know. Thanks.

Is an 02 dongle a router? A frend of mne has one. Should he disable Upnp

Advertisement