Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB problem

Options
  • 29-01-2013 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Here's a strange one for the experts. Though I guess it might be something simple.
    My pc has 2 usb ports on the front. I can plug a usb hdd into either and everything is okay. But if i try to plug in 2 usb hdds at the same time, one of the ports decides not to work.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Have the 2 usb devices got the same name? note the name/letter each one has.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Are they portable drives (powered by the PC) or is each drive powered by it's own mains AC adapter? It's possible that the pair of USB ports can't power two drives i.e. the internal circuitry can't deliver enough watts to the pair of ports to power two portable drives.

If it's a desktop/mini-tower you wouldn't expect there to be any problems with power - or is it a laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

Thanks for the replys.

Aye. They have separate drive letters and names.

And they are usb powered. In a desktop pc.

But why would the same thing happen if I swapped a hdd for a usb drive?
    Is it still a power issue?

EDIT: maybe I should try a powered usb hdd to test this. Dammit. Komplett has enough of my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

The ports at the front usually just connect to a single port, akin to having a two port hub, so it's just insufficient power for two drives.

Advertisement