Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Chance Student Question

Options
  • 29-01-2013 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I am sure I know the answer already, but just to get another opinion on this in regards Second Chance Students just in case.

I studied (but did not finished) a Level 8 degree course 5 or 6 years ago, I want to return to college but one of the courses I am interested in is a level 7.

Am I right in saying that I cannot get the Second Chance Free Fee's/Grant because the course is a level 7 and I previously attempted a level 8 course? This course has a add-on 4th year to make it a level 8 also, But it's not a neccessity.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Not sure about the grant but I don't see why the fees wouldn't apply. I don't remember them being specific about the Level on the guides so it may not be an issue. I think the main focus was that you never had a qualification and were out for the 5+ years.

Thanks for the reply. Although I can't help but remember seeing something about you having to go back to do a course of the same level as you did previously. Again if anyone can clarify more would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Thanks for the reply. Although I can't help but remember seeing something about you having to go back to do a course of the same level as you did previously. Again if anyone can clarify more would be great.

I think that was based on if you had finished the level and then tried to repeat a similar level, or drop back. Hopefully someone else here might be able to clarify.

Hi, anyone else shed light on this?

• Advertisement

Again just posting this as seems alot more traffic here recently. Again the question is if you are returning to education as a second chance student where you did a Level 8 (but did not complete) can you re-try as a second chance student doing a Level 7 instead of a Level 8 again?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

So, I did a little searching and going by this website page: http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/free_tuition.htm

it looks like you won't have to pay fees as you did not finish the course and you are outside the 5 year time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Even if you are charged tuition fees and are ineligible for the Free Fees Initiative you might be eligible to have your Tuition fees paid by SUSI.
    (2) Subject to article 8(2) and (3), a student or a tuition student, may be assessed for the tuition fee element where they are—

(a) pursuing an approved undergraduate course to which the Free Fees Schemes applies but where the student, or tuition student, is ineligible for free tuition fees under those schemes; or

(b) pursuing an approved undergraduate course which is not a course
    approved for the Free Fees Schemes;

Taken from the Student Grant Regulations 2012, page 10.

Thanks for that, but would I be able to do a Level 7 though? Even though my first 'attempted' degree was a level 8? There is a course I'm very interested in doing, but it is a Level 7 (with a add-on fourth year level 8 if you wish to do it) and since I did an attempted a level 8 can I be eligble for the second chance student fee's/grant for a level 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I wouldn't think it matters after the 5year gap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement