Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Labrador be trimmed by groomer?

• 29-01-2013 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi all,

I had a mobile dog groomer call to groom my Labrador today. It was the first time I had ever got him groomed. The main reason I decided to get him done was I had read that the groomers can get a lot of the dead hair out with the blaster and reduce shedding.

So after having this company recommended to me by a couple of friends and discussing with the groomer what I wanted done in advance of the booking I was quite shocked when my Lab was returned with his coat clipped...in fact it looks like a botched clip. His gorgeous golden coat is no more and he is practically white now. His coat is uneven and just doesn't look right at all.

Maybe I'm wrong but I always thought Labradors didn't get trimmed as they have a short coat. I'm just wondering is it standard for Labs to get their coat trimmed when groomed or did I get a not so good groomer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone trimming a labrador before! What was the point? Was they just too lazy to deshed the dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

Yeah that was my thought too. In fairness I didn't even discuss trimming with the groomer because I thought they didn't trim Labs. I just wanted him washed, brushed, blasted and ears cleaned. My poor dog just had his coat ruined. I hope it grows back quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Are you sure it was clipped? I wonder did they thin it with a furminator?! :( My guy was groomed once - I was heartbroken when they clipped his lovely retriever tail - we'd waited so long for it to unfold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

as a rule dogs regain their coats quite quickly but thats not the point i may be wrong but ive never heard of a lab being trimmed by the way i hope you didnt pay for this obvious botch job

tk123 wrote: »
    Are you sure it was clipped? I wonder did they thin it with a furminator?! :( My guy was groomed once - I was heartbroken when they clipped his lovely retriever tail - we'd waited so long for it to unfold!

It was definitely clipped. I had asked if they did the furminating treatment and they said no but that they could give him a really good brush and use the blaster which would help remove the dead hair and reduce the shedding. No mention of him being clipped.

On closer examination I have found a couple of bald patches where he was trimmed right down to the skin. It's like all his top coat is gone and his undercoat is all thats left. He is now white where as he was golden.

• Advertisement

jimf wrote: »
    by the way i hope you didnt pay for this obvious botch job

Unfortunately I did. As it was my first time getting him groomed I didn't know if it was standard or not. I was in shock when I seen him and I just paid the woman and sent her on her way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Pinklady11 wrote: »
    t's like all his top coat is gone and his undercoat is all thats left. He is now white where as he was golden.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Had a lab and never got her trimmed - never heard of a need for it - a good brushing usually kept her in good condition as she shed a lot without a regular brushing. Maybe a doggie coat would be an idea as he may be feeling the cold with the top coat having been taken away in the winter. Just a thought. :)

And I'd give that groomer "a wide berth" ! Totally unnecessary haircut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

It was definitely clipped. I had asked if they did the furminating treatment and they said no but that they could give him a really good brush and use the blaster which would help remove the dead hair and reduce the shedding. No mention of him being clipped.

On closer examination I have found a couple of bald patches where he was trimmed right down to the skin. It's like all his top coat is gone and his undercoat is all thats left. He is now white where as he was golden.

That's awful. I can imagine what he looks like. One of my labs has a trimmed patch on her backside as she has a growth and it looks odd!

Ok I'll post before and after pics of him just so you can see for yourselves what has been done to him.

Before

HPIM1367.JPG

After :(

HPIM1372.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

No groomer who knows what they are doing would clip a Lab.
    A wash good brush (furminator or similar) and blaster, would leave the coat thinner looking as the dead hair would be gone, but never clipped.

Labs have a good coat when kept in condition it keeps them warm and dry. To shave it would be ridiculous!
    Some so called groomers are butchers, had one shave both my dogs to the skin, tails and all, I asked for a small trim as it was winter, and I brush them daily, they weren't matted. I heard later she does the same to every dog that goes in. I asked did she pluck ears or do glands and was told "I don't do that sort of thing, ask you vet" :mad:

Edit: that is definitely clipped :(
    He's lovely, poor dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Poor dog op, he was def clipped and looks like they ruined his coat. I'd report the groomer. And get your money back, how much did they charge.

Yeah it's very uneven with a couple of bald patches. He just looks butchered. It's not what I expected at all. Feel like crying everytime I look at him. Paid 55euro for the groom.

nothing short of a disgrace that these kind of people are allowed to operate and call themselves groomers get your money back asap

after all this not just a dog its a very obviously much loved family member

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Yeah it's very uneven with a couple of bald patches. He just looks butchered. It's not what I expected at all. Feel like crying everytime I look at him. Paid 55euro for the groom.

Your poor dog and €55:eek:
    Go demand your money back from that 'groomer'

I just signed up to do a dog grooming night course at my VEC. It only cost €45. No mad clipping groomer will get their hands on my dog's lovely long coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

That person obviously has no clue what they're doing and doesn't deserve to be called a groomer.

I'd be looking for my money back, too, OP. Too many charlatans in the grooming business.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ok I'll post before and after pics of him just so you can see for yourselves what has been done to him.

Before

HPIM1367.JPG

After :(

HPIM1372.JPG

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I find myself in the uncharacteristic position of being lost for words OP

They made an absolute balls of him. I don't know what would possess anyone to clip a Labrador's coat... short-coated, high-moult breeds to not need to be clipped, ever.
    I would absolutely, categorically demand my money back from this charlatan (thanks for putting this word into my head Boomerang :o) and give her a serious ear-bending. What an idiot :mad:

On a positive note, what a lovely, lovely dog! That first pic of him with the bed in his mouth is just so.... Labradory! He looks like a lovely, gentle chap :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Slightly off topic but anytime I see a Cavalier or Cocker clipped down to their skin I die a little inside! They're supposed to have lots of lovely feathering!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

WTF??? Dog's definitely been clipped, and by the look of it with blunt blades as the coats so uneven!!! :eek: Poor thing. It's like destroying a beautiful painting by slashing with a knife.

I bet she's never bothered to maintain the clippers, oil, disinfect and sharpen the blades. **** knows what else this silly cow's done to other dogs...

Yeah, get your money back from this idiot, and spread the word about her. She hasn't got a Scooby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

AND the cheeky mare charged E55! :eek: I clip my dog myself now, but when he went to a groomer, she never charged more than E30 - and that's for a Shih Tzu!!

• Advertisement

Going to send an email to them now... but to be honest getting my money back just isn't my main concern. It's the state my boy's coat is in now...no refund will help his hair grow any quicker. :(

I would hope that my complaint will go some way towards no other dog getting treated like mine did.

He's the third child in the house and it's so upsetting to see him like this.

Any idea on how long it will take his coat to recover?

best to try and forget about it now and put it down to one very bad experience

after all hes healthy and still perfect in your eyes

as for hair growth i trim my springers in summer and within 2/3 weeks you would not know they were trimmed dont know about labs

Lab hair doesn't grow like a springer, takes time for new hair to grow and old to shed out. Hopefully that will be quick.
    I would look at getting even a cheap coat for walking in this weather, labs top coat keeps out wet and wind, undercoat traps heat to keep warm. Without the layers poor chap may feel cold.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

mymo wrote: »
    Lab hair doesn't grow like a springer, takes time for new hair to grow and old to shed out. Hopefully that will be quick.
    I would look at getting even a cheap coat for walking in this weather, labs top coat keeps out wet and wind, undercoat traps heat to keep warm. Without the layers poor chap may feel cold.

Good point mymo. The exposed undercoat will soak up water, and hold onto it without the protective topcoat, so if he gets wet out on walks, he could get cold quite quickly.
    However, I would not buy a cheap coat for him.
    I would be making sure the groomer buys a damn expensive coat for him :mad:

DBB wrote: »
    However, I would not buy a cheap coat for him.
    I would be making sure the groomer buys a damn expensive coat for him :mad:
    Good idea.
    The least they could do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

No way would I let them away with this. As I've stated before far too many people call themselves groomers who have not got a clue. They think every breed needs to be shaved.

The dogs coat will not grow back until he moults and new coat comes in. Shaving just cuts though the top coat and the root is still in.

I have wire coated breeds and I always advise owners and would be owners not to go near a groomer unless they have it in writing that the dog will be hand stripped and not groomed or better still I do it for them and show them how they can do it at home themselves.

Thanks for all the advice.

We have a waterproof luminous coat for night time walking but there would be no padding in it for warmth so will pick something better up for him. I have been worrying about him as it is very cold and wet. He's inside most of the day so it's only walks that he would need it for.

Don't think I'll be seeing my money back from groomer any time soon but I will make it my business to tell anyone who'll listen about what they done and warn people off them.

Thanks again everyone. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Pinklady, have you spoken to the groomer yet?

Yeah I did send an email. They seem to think it's my fault. Apparently ALL dogs get clipped unless the owner tells them not to. :rolleyes:

Clipping was never mentioned to me and I told them that I wanted him washed and blasted before making the appointment. I also told her that if they were "professional groomers" they should know the breeds that don't need clipping.
    Haven't heard anything back from them since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Yeah I did send an email. They seem to think it's my fault. Apparently ALL dogs get clipped unless the owner tells them not to. :rolleyes:

Clipping was never mentioned to me and I told them that I wanted him washed and blasted before making the appointment. I also told her that if they were "professional groomers" they should know the breeds that don't need clipping.
    Haven't heard anything back from them since.

Maybe they have Facebook page....... now I don't think you can publish it here but PM is a great facility

They are not groomers, they are butchers. I've seen all sorts of botched grooming jobs but this the first time I have ever seen someone butcher a labrador and I would not be letting them away with it. It shocking.

Advertisement