Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Labrador be trimmed by groomer?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Pinklady11 wrote: »
    Yeah I did send an email. They seem to think it's my fault. Apparently ALL dogs get clipped unless the owner tells them not to. :rolleyes:

Again, :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Lost for words here!
    I don;t suppose, indeed I don't expect, that they're members of the Irish Professional Dog Groomers Association? In which case you could make a complaint, but I very much doubt they've any professional accreditation at all.
    Why not ring them OP? Ask for the address to send the solicitor's letter to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yeah I did send an email. They seem to think it's my fault. Apparently ALL dogs get clipped unless the owner tells them not to. :rolleyes:

Clipping was never mentioned to me and I told them that I wanted him washed and blasted before making the appointment. I also told her that if they were "professional groomers" they should know the breeds that don't need clipping.
    Haven't heard anything back from them since.

In other words, she isn't a groomer. More like a chancer that got clippers from Argos, and hey presto! She's a groomer.

There's no way she did ANY training. Even someone who did a night course (and has common sense!) would know you DON'T clip short-haired breeds.

Pity you can't name & shame...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP check out zooplus.ie (or .co.uk) - they have some of their coats on offer. I have the Grizzly one for my retriever and find it great. It has fleece lining and padding. The Maxizoo near us had a basket of coats with 50% off last week so you might get a bargain there too if there's one near you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm so angry on your behalf. I really hope you get your money back.

Op, did you actually ask for your money back in your mail? If you didn't, then you most definitely should.

I'd call her again, and ask for the money. If she starts kicking off, then just tell her a solicitor's letter is on it's way...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

Groomer came back and said as part of de-shedding treatment a "light clip" was necessary and they thought I knew that it would happen. They have offered a refund. :)

I don't think I'll ever trust anyone with my dog again. Will be mortified bringing him for his booster and check up at the vets looking the way he does!! :o

And like one other poster said...he's healthy and happy and thats whats important.

Once again thanks for all your advise. :)

Light clip, my 'arris! More like a blunt No.10 was used....

Still - all's well that ends well I suppose. Get the poor fella a coat, and I'm sure his fur will grow back as good as ever. I'm glad you're getting back your money. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

Get the poor fella a coat, and I'm sure his fur will grow back as good as ever.

Already on the way!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Groomer came back and said as part of de-shedding treatment a "light clip" was necessary and they thought I knew that it would happen.

Oh my sweet divine... They need to change from being groomers to being excuse-maker-uppers.. they're good at that!
    Still, delighted to hear they're refunding you. I'm sure your vet would like to know not to be referring any customers to this "groomer" so no harm in letting him see what happened.
    I hope your dog isn't too embarrassed :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

While I share everyone's anger - and in the same boat I'd be furious, look at the positives OP. You're finally getting a refund... Instead of the thought of them having your hard earned cash for a crap job. And you'll never make the same mistake again. Chalk it up to one of life's experiences and learn from it.

And as the owner of a Siberian Husky with the most beautiful, thick, double layer coat (which should never be groomed/cut) - I have months of waiting ahead before his pre-op paw shave (anaesthetic) and belly and inside leg shave grows back.

My point OP? It WILL grow back!

Don't let that so called groomer get you down. If someone comments or you're embarrassed at the vets - tell them why!!! A chancer made a balls of grooming your dog. Not your fault.

You should make a list of all the people who've replied here and PM us the name.
    Powerful medium, the Internet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Peetwins

I am a groomer and get very annoyed when other untrained groomers give us all a bad name! He definately looks clipped ..for the record you would NEVER clip a lab. A good wash, blaster & defurminating treatment is all you would do. Also included would be ears, nails & anal glands.
    All my customers get a consultation before I do anything and i try my hardest to let them know exactly how the dog will look after. Some long haired breeds do need to be clipped if they are matted and not kept brushed at home (me not miracle worker :-)!) however a lab would never ever be clipped.
    Poor doggy.you should tell her how unhappy you are and ask for a refund. Very odd that she would do this......

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Peetwins

Oops didn't read all the posts! Delighted you got your money back :-) bull**** excuse though. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hpsheba

I am a groomer and its the first time ever I have heard of anyone clipping a lab :( You are entitled to your money back, and the person who did that to your lovely dog needs to either train properly or stop advertising as a groomer.

Yes, there are groomers out there that automatically grab the clippers instead of grabbing a brush but you did what I would recommend anyone looking for a groomer to do and asked people for a recommendation :( All I can say is agreeing with what other have said and get him a coat to do him the month or two to get him coat back sorted.

Just to address some of the other comments on the thread, its horrible to read that so many people hold groomers in such low regard. There are some very talented and experienced groomers working around the country but sometimes I think groomers and customers can speak a different language. I know that almost weekly I will get a dog in the is matted, felted to the skin and even though I explain and show photos that I will have to shave the dog many customers still act surprised when they come to collect them and see a practically bald dog. If you have a long haired dog, please please take the time to brush them ! Its gotten to the stage where me and most of the groomers I know get the customers of a badly matted dog to sign that they consent to the dog being clipped off before I even touch it :(

Its a pet hate of mine that the grooming industry is unregulated, same as the dog training industry, any one can put a sign on their hall door and start operating straight away, taking people money and tarnishing a whole body of people who want to trade in a respectable/lawful manner.

Until the pet care industry is regulated this is going to keep happening, every week I hear of a new person opening up as a groomer or trainer or pet sitter or dog walker. Most do not have insurance, training/qualifications, pay tax or vat.
    Sorry I am ranting now ,

but you dog is still adorable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

hpsheba wrote: »
    Its a pet hate of mine that the grooming industry is unregulated, same as the dog training industry, any one can put a sign on their hall door and start operating straight away, taking people money and tarnishing a whole body of people who want to trade in a respectable/lawful manner.

Until the pet care industry is regulated this is going to keep happening, every week I hear of a new person opening up as a groomer or trainer or pet sitter or dog walker. Most do not have insurance, training/qualifications, pay tax or vat.
    Sorry I am ranting now ,

Very true, far too many people setting themselves up as groomers. There is no way the person that groomed the OP's dog is actually a dog groomer or had any form of training.

I have a hand stripped breed who I do myself to show standard. I often get pet dogs here and strip them too. All of them with lovely wire coats in great condition but several were brought to groomers who just shaved them and the coat was ruined for a long time afterwards.
    It is pure laziness as well as a lack of knowledge.
    I do know some excellent groomers, many of whom are friends of mine and they would be absolutely horrified if they seen the OP's dog.

hpsheba wrote: »
    I am a groomer and its the first time ever I have heard of anyone clipping a lab :( You are entitled to your money back, and the person who did that to your lovely dog needs to either train properly or stop advertising as a groomer.

Yes, there are groomers out there that automatically grab the clippers instead of grabbing a brush but you did what I would recommend anyone looking for a groomer to do and asked people for a recommendation :( All I can say is agreeing with what other have said and get him a coat to do him the month or two to get him coat back sorted.

Just to address some of the other comments on the thread, its horrible to read that so many people hold groomers in such low regard. There are some very talented and experienced groomers working around the country but sometimes I think groomers and customers can speak a different language. I know that almost weekly I will get a dog in the is matted, felted to the skin and even though I explain and show photos that I will have to shave the dog many customers still act surprised when they come to collect them and see a practically bald dog. If you have a long haired dog, please please take the time to brush them ! Its gotten to the stage where me and most of the groomers I know get the customers of a badly matted dog to sign that they consent to the dog being clipped off before I even touch it :(

Sorry I am ranting now ,

Totally agree. When I was studying to be a groomer, I saw at least three long-haired dogs brought in that were so matted, there was no alternative but to shave them down. Then they get upset when they're presented with a shaved-down dog! These owners don't realise that to try to de-mat the dog is much more cruel than to grab the clippers and shave the poor thing down. All is takes is five minutes with a slicker, and job done! But some owners are too lazy to do even that.

Advertisement