Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which first earlies?

• 29-01-2013 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I had Pentland Javelin and Aaron Pilot last year, don't want to do either again, not complaining as such, just want something else.

Am looking for a real tasty spud, any recommendations? Would like good yield also, but that's secondary to taste.

Don't mind trying out two, or three varieties...

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I'm trying Lady Crystal and Red Duke of York this year. Havn't tried them before but doing them this year on recommendation for the same reasons you are looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I've had both of those suggested to me and I had them in mind from my own reading too.

I took my recomendations from Nicky kyle :) Cant go wrong if you ask me ...
    http://nickykylegardening.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭qzy

I grow Epicure (waxy, can handle a bit of Frost) and Sharpes Express (lovely and flowery but need to be steamed or they will fall apart)

Did Anabelle last year. A lovely waxy baby potato. Left some in and they grew fine and large and kept their taste. I used Tesco bought spuds as an experiment. I believe Charlotte is similarly nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

home guard usually good and tasty but trying duke of york this year

Are you trying 'red' duke of york Oldtree? I've not tried either but apparently the red is the better of the two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

I recommend Colleen for first earlies just for flavour and creaminess along. Delicious

Ok,

I'm going to try Red Duke of York, Duke of York, Colleen, and Lady Christl.

Hm, I sort of went and ordered more than I bargained for. Can't remember if these are all correct but Lady Christl, Colleen, Epicure, Duke of York & Red Duke of York, and Maris Peer I think.

I think I went a bit nuts :o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Lidl are selling Early Crop Seed Homeguards,Queens and Sharpes Express at the moment

2 euro 50 cents for a 1.5kg bag of either spud

Page 39 of their curent online catalogue

http://www.lidl-pageflip.com/ie.html?kid=xcQdHE

They might be of some use to some of you here.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Dealz are also selling packs of seed spuds for 1 euro 49 cents.
    8 per pack.

Dont know if this is good value or not,but might be handy for anyone close to a Deals shop.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    Dealz are also selling packs of seed spuds for 1 euro 49 cents.
    8 per pack.

Dont know if this is good value or not,but might be handy for anyone close to a Deals shop.:)

If they are 300gm bags, Woodies are trying to hawk the same for €2,99, about 10 spuds per their bags.

Advertisement