Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gran Canaria..to go or not to go!?

• 29-01-2013 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi, I have been looking for someowhere to go this year thats a bit off the beaten track. Just wondering if anyone has gone to Gran Canaria recently (last year or two). What was your experience, how is the nightlife and what things are of interest there? If I do indeed go I was thinking of renting a car for a week and explore the whole island. So would love to hear back from anyone who would love to share their experiences. I was planning on travelling at the end of May! Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

How is Gran Canaria off the beaten track?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

because I know of no one who has gone there which is why I posted this thread. Plus its away from mainland Europe! Most Irish people go to the usual spots in Spain or Portugal for their summer holidays. Of course their are other destinations but they would be the main ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

its a bit like the bermuda triangle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

hundreds if not thousands of Irish fly to Gran Canaria/Lanzarote/Tenerife etc every year.

off the beaten track for Irish people would be places like cambodia/laos/micronesia/south pacific/iran/cape verde etc

Gran Canaria is like any Spanish resort - full of Irish/English/Dutch and a few other nationalities....nightlife can be good at the right time of year, its almost always guaranteed sunshine due to its location (very near equator)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

The weather is great, grub and drink is cheap. Full to the gills with paddys.

Worth a trip

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

The Canaries are beautiful lots to do, well worth a visit ect. ect.

Just beware of the volcano, the past year or so there has been multiple low level tremors in the region which generally leads to an inevitasble kaboom from a volcano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Depends on what exactly you are looking for. We are in our mid 30's and find the islands grand in the off-season (we like to just relax) but wouldn't dream of going there in peak season. No point hiring a car for a week either as you'd see most of the island in a couple days. I prefer Tenerife myself.

Thats a fair comment but like I said, I don't know of ayone who has gone to Gran Canaria which is why I probably said off the beaten track. :)

thanks everyone for your posts above, still not 100% sure where to go for a summer break but will defo have Gran Canaria on the top of my list :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Thats a fair comment but like I said, I don't know of ayone who has gone to Gran Canaria which is why I probably said off the beaten track. :)

You should go, it really is a good spot to visit. Everything a package holiday should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

all depends on your age group and the group you are travelling with (or if you are travelling alone) ...and your budget.

off-peak its loads of couples ...peak-time is late teens/early/mid 20's mainly, Lanzarote is better in my opinion.

its worth going for the experience anyway....worst case you knock it off the list of places to visit.

if you have the money I'd recommend USA, or Thailand ...Maui is great for relaxation, West coast of USA is great for scenery and exploring, East coast is the same.... middle is too spread out in my opinion....or goto Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Way nicer than Spain or Portugal for visual scenery.
    Safe to drive unlike Spain and Portugal.
    A car is a defo here to get around the Island.
    Not into the clubbing thing myself.
    Mogan is a beautiful place but no night clubs. kids safe on small beach.
    Play de ingles is full of night clubs.The Beach goes on and on.
    It all matters what you want.
    22 dregrees and over all year round. No winters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Spring loaded

Go it is a beautiful island the public transport is very good but if you are hiring a car go up into the mountains and see the caves plenty of night life in Playa Del Ingles but make sure you don't get an apartment in Playa stay in Maspalomas it is only a short way from there to Playa €5 by taxi if you are going out to drink.

Advertisement