Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 29-01-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

lads im thinking of investing in a 22.250 for a bit of foxing any ideas on what to go for id like some thing a bit traditional have my mind made up on the cal so advise on the 22.250 please thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

That's .22-250, to be picky. I have had one for over thirty years and use it over on the west coast on prairie dogs. Made my longest ever 'connection' too.

There are gazilllions of older guns out there just yearning for a new home and an appreciative audience to care for them.

Buying old means that you can easily spring for a Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 heavy barrel, if you can find one, I'd buy it in a crazy-mad rush.

Ahem, I just remember, I did just that in 1974.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭xchrisshana

tac foley wrote: »
    That's .22-250, to be picky. I have had one for over thirty years and use it over on the west coast on prairie dogs. Made my longest ever 'connection' too.

There are gazilllions of older guns out there just yearning for a new home and an appreciative audience to care for them.

Buying old means that you can easily spring for a Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 heavy barrel, if you can find one, I'd buy it in a crazy-mad rush.

Ahem, I just remember, I did just that in 1974.

tac
    Cheers thanks for the info sounds like a nice gun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Very hard to find a nice one here, i wanted one last year and i'll i found were either cheap new guns or old wrecked guns, most dealers told me the they usually never bother with them as there are better deer rifles and a lot of supers won't license them without a deer license, fortunately i could have licensed it for foxes but never found a nice gun so went for a .204 instead and don't regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭slim223

What about the Remington Model 700™ VL SS™ Thumbhole

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

lads im thinking of investing in a 22.250 for a bit of foxing any ideas on what to go for id like some thing a bit traditional have my mind made up on the cal so advise on the 22.250 please thanks :D

Contact John Kavanagh Fingal sports, he has a Parkhale beaver tail 22.250. Its in perfect condition and has been re-barreled with a walther lothar barrel that has less than 100 rounds gone through it. I owned and used it for forty years with great accuracy, lots of deer and foxes went down to it, before it was re-barreled.

I'd say it could be bought very reasonably.

Hope this is of some help.

sikamick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Ruger No1V

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

If you're not fitting a moderator, make sure you have understanding neighbours - very loud gun;).

If you're not fitting a moderator, make sure you have understanding neighbours - very loud gun;).

Ah, yes. Should have mentioned that. VERY loud, but somehow, where WE shoot, you really don't notice it too much.;)

tac

Sikamick wrote: »
    Contact John Kavanagh Fingal sports, he has a Parkhale beaver tail 22.250. Its in perfect condition and has been re-barreled with a walther lothar barrel that has less than 100 rounds gone through it. I owned and used it for forty years with great accuracy, lots of deer and foxes went down to it, before it was re-barreled.

sikamick

Over here, Mick, that would be flying off the rack before you were out of the door...we love'em.

tac

i have a sps tactical in .308 looking for something different but thanks

• Advertisement

yes that ruger looks the part al right any 1 ever fire or own 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

i use a sauer 202 .22-250..love this rifle and caliber...yes its a loud round but cant see it getting you in more trouble than a 223 or 204 unmodded.its great round which needs very little if any hold over allowance at safe lamping ranges on foxes

saure is also a very nice rifle i was thinking of a krico with a double trigger or somthing down those lines the shooting buddy has a high end .204 it would blow the ears off you but he got a mod for it and its working brill i would put a mod on it for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

yes that ruger looks the part al right any 1 ever fire or own 1

I have owned one for the last 12 or 13 years. Compact but heavy with the varmint barrel. After changing the trigger and a bit of fiddling tuning the forearm it shoots like a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sikamick wrote: »

sikamick

I know this rifle and if you want a nice carrying .22-250, you'd be hard pressed to do better. Lovely, lovely gun, and very accurate.

I know this rifle and if you want a nice carrying .22-250, you'd be hard pressed to do better. Lovely, lovely gun, and very accurate.
    Dose he have a web site

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Dose he have a web site

Aye, here it is. Don't think they have a stock list online though. Give him a call and ask about the rifle. John will do right by you. Great guy to deal with.

Advertisement