Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If someone asks you to delete an image of them, do you oblige?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Piper101 wrote: »
    So you wouldn't afford a Garda the same niceties you would apply to an ordinary member of the public or even a paedophile given the context this thread has taken?

An on duty Garda doesn't have the right to ask you to delete photos. so no I wouldn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think the law is much help here in whether you should delete a pic or not. i've never been asked to, but my action on being asked would be based on three things, i suspect - one, how good the shot is; two, the reason behind the request, and three, how big the requester is.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

EyeBlinks wrote: »
    An on duty Garda doesn't have the right to ask you to delete photos. so no I wouldn't.

No, but he does have to right to detain your property if it contains evidence in a case, and sometimes memory cards accidentally format themselves :)

But as a whole i think society is too paranoid about pictures being taken. I would balance how important the photo was and how the person approached me before i deleted anything. Google are inundated with requests to remove images of peoples houses or cars parked outside ex girlfriends houses from Google Street view... take a guess what they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Farmlife wrote: »
    No, but he does have to right to detain your property if it contains evidence in a case, and sometimes memory cards accidentally format themselves :)

But as a whole i think society is too paranoid about pictures being taken. I would balance how important the photo was and how the person approached me before i deleted anything. Google are inundated with requests to remove images of peoples houses or cars parked outside ex girlfriends houses from Google Street view... take a guess what they say

if there is a crime or suspicion of a crime - if not the garda is breaking the law...and you could insist on a receipt from the garda for any seized property - including details of images on the card (all the images could be worth money so there could potentially be a substantial loss of earnings claim)

Corkbah wrote: »
    you could insist on a receipt from the garda for any seized property - including details of images on the card (all the images could be worth money so there could potentially be a substantial loss of earnings claim)

gardai aren't experts in using camera equipment so any evidence would have to be preserved and sent to the technical bureau for analysis, you couldn't show him images because that would be tampering with state evidence... now remember that image he nicely asked you to delete... well hold onto it, because it's now just a memory :)

fact is guards have more to be doing than asking people to delete a still image taking in a public place

gardai aren't experts in using camera equipment so any evidence would have to be preserved and sent to the technical bureau for analysis, you couldn't show him images because that would be tampering with state evidence... now remember that image he nicely asked you to delete... well hold onto it, because it's now just a memory :)

fact is guards have more to be doing than asking people to delete a still image taking in a public place[/QUOTE]

you obviously have never been asked by a Garda to delete an image that you just took of them, I have ! .... and when I refused they even phoned my employer to get him to "tell" me to delete the image. (whole event took over an hour)

I still have the image !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I just happened upon this thread but it reminds me of the cycling threads regarding other road users and their attitude towards them.

When it's "your thing" you can argue for it all day without seeing the bigger picture, a picture I won't be deleting because it's mine.

you obviously have never been asked by a Garda to delete an image that you just took of them, I have ! .... and when I refused they even phoned my employer to get him to "tell" me to delete the image. (whole event took over an hour)

I still have the image !!

No never asked to delete image, took some of NYC cops at the underground with no problem, but there's probably the few awkward people everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

GarIT wrote: »
    Why do photographers have so much power? IMO it should be a criminal offence not to delete images one is requested to. If it was me I would always delete them. Could you not just take a picture of the same thing again without the person in it?

they do not is the simple ; honestly we don't.

As for you criminal offense idea you are being videoed and photographed very regularly by security cameras while you walk through town.

• Advertisement

No never asked to delete image, took some of NYC cops at the underground with no problem, but there's probably the few awkward people everywhere.

NYC cops and Irish Gardai ... completely different !!

you were photographing them as a tourist (I guess) ... most Gardai will happily pose for tourists.

you were photographing them as a tourist (I guess) ... most Gardai will happily pose for tourists.

I didn't have a I Love NY t-shirt on or anything, but good point

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MyLeftOne

I take photos of people in the city a bit... and I've only once been asked to delete. I think it's because I am reasonably discreet, and try to have some tact. I've seen people stick a giant wtf lens in people's faces, or blind them with a flash, only to be surprise when the person is antagonised.

I will often ask a person if it's ok to take a photo of them if I can... especially if it's a shop of something. Lots of shopkeepers are delighted to be photographed, and it's a nice record I think. I know it's not the popular modern photo-journalism style, but I like the old fashioned style too, where people pose, and look at the camera.

The one time I was asked to delete.... I was being a bit of a muppet. I think I walked across the middle of a giant chess game, obliviously taking a photo of the pieces. Not realising there was a game and players going on. They were understandably annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Clarification, I did not describe them as unsavoury, I took those words from the guy who took the image. I left it in though to see if it makes a difference if the person is friendly or unsavoury, if they want their image deleted

I don't think that the photographer should be allowed to represent the subject as unsavoury, either by using that phrase or by publishing a photograph that gives that impression.

Advertisement