Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obtaining a Galaxy s3

Options
  • 29-01-2013 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hello. After 7 years, I'm looking to join the smartphone era. I bought my last phone in 2005, an old brick of a nokia.

The Galaxy s3 looks like the beesknees. I can buy it from carphone warehouse for €560 or from amazon unlocked for €450. Honestly, I'm a dunce when it comes to new phones and their associated bits.

If I get an unlocked phone I would look to carry over my current number, however being a phone from 2005, the sim card is unlikely to fit.

So how should I get this gadget? Cost is not an issue but cheaper is nicer. Also any advice on keeping my old number and all that sort of thing (I'm with vodaphone if that helps)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Vodafone should be able to give you a new SIM (allowing you to keep your number) if the S3 requires a micro sim (I don't know if it does).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

murphzor wrote: »
    Hello. After 7 years, I'm looking to join the smartphone era. I bought my last phone in 2005, an old brick of a nokia.

The Galaxy s3 looks like the beesknees. I can buy it from carphone warehouse for €560 or from amazon unlocked for €450. Honestly, I'm a dunce when it comes to new phones and their associated bits.

If I get an unlocked phone I would look to carry over my current number, however being a phone from 2005, the sim card is unlikely to fit.

So how should I get this gadget? Cost is not an issue but cheaper is nicer. Also any advice on keeping my old number and all that sort of thing (I'm with vodaphone if that helps)

Just ask Vodafone for a new micro-SIM card, you'll get one for free or almost nothing. You might have to input a few data or MMS settings, but that's it. Your phone number is tied to the SIM card, not the phone.

The Amazon price looks very good, and because it's unlocked you won't have to put up with any carrier bloatware.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Hi Murphzor,
    You did not specify if you are prepay or Bill pay, if you are Bill pay, you can upgrade to the S3 but you will be tied into a new contract depends on the plan you choose.

Prepay, no problem getting a new simcard to fit the S3 and retain your same number, call into one of the phone shops, vodafone stores etc.

Hope this helps. They look like an amazing phone, very tempted myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭murphzor

Hey, thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the amazon seller doesn't seem to ship to Ireland but no biggie, I will look elsewhere. The whole sim exchange seems very simple.

Advertisement