Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premium Withdrawals

Options
  • 30-01-2013 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so new users often come along and go "so, what's the point of premium" and I for one always forget the advantages because I can't remember living without it.

So, my premium expired yesterday. As somewhat of a test, I'm going to try set my team for this weekend's match against Mar-z and write down all the differences I notice.

1. There are now ads embedded on the page when I sign-in. Initially I was confused as to where The Elder Scrolls fit into the grand scheme of BR things, til I copped the difference.

2. My default squad listing is by jersey. I have my first team all numbered up with the seconds hanging out below. Of course you can't have team numbers without premium, so hello alphabetically.

3. Not a major one, but I really like having the percentages on the energy. Means I can get a number in my head, scroll a bit and see how others match up, without using a visual comparison.

4. Can't arrange squad listing by energy. Running a two-squad system as I do, energy tends to be a good way of dividing the lads. I've a big match the week after, so I don't want anyone low on energy to feature against Grubber (who, in this relegation battle situation, are not a priority.) Just another nuisance.

5. It's a Tuesday and I can't see any pops. Annoying, as it's one of the best bits of the game, and I've long ago lost my little cardboard info cards for each player.
    I've a sneaking suspicion that my young prop has as much as three pops, because he now seems to be a damn fine prospect for promotion to the 2nds at 17 (he's currently 5th choice prop)

6. Still Tuesday, and I just realised it doesn't show any gains or losses in CSR. Tough to gauge progress without.

7. This is another silly one, but at this stage I know most of my team by their nicknames. Taking a moment to figure out which Fitzgerald is which without their lil names.

8. Flicking through pages, I just realised there's no more Curly Sue in my logo box. Ahwell.

9. Hrmm... no saved line-ups available. While I'd usually set up the line-up differently each time, I do have a few basic ones saved. So for this one I was going to click on the standard "2nds" but it's nowhere to be seen. Long way it is so.

Ok, so now that I'm actually into the nitty gritty, it seems to be pretty similar. I'm getting full details on past matches, I'm not sure whether that's cause I had premium back then or not, but yeah, everything seems ok. Able to scout out what Grubber were up to during the season.

Ok, hang on...

10. There is no "previous encounters" feature. How else would one possibly feel like the ultimate underdog without seeing all the losses stacked up. How am I meant to fully fathom how much the likes of Forza constantly pummel and have done so for years.

Scoping out the opposition is pretty much the same in terms of options to view squad under. No energy option, but, I rarely want to find out which of his players are tired, I want to see how many of his top players are tired, so it's always going to be a press of the CSR button. Unfortunately it seems Mar-Z's boys are all pretty damn rested. After a TNT last week I was kinda hoping for some luck in the losing bonus point area.

Actually, as I get further into scouting...

11. Stats are really restricted. I can see points scored and such, but it's really hard to get into the nitty gritty of the players.

Ok, so, I think that's the prelim squad set. May tinker with it a bit closer to game time.

So far, I'd say for the most part premium just makes things easier. Less scrolling needed when sorting out squads, and less work in general, but it doesn't really make a huge difference to how I'd go about things, apart from the time it takes to do things.
    Having said that, removing the majority of player stats is a bit sneaky. I don't think there's really any other way to get those figures, so when you get down to that micro level of opposition research, you're actually at a disadvantage without it.
    For instance, now I've no idea who Mar-z's greatest dangerman is on the attack, or which of his guys is most likely to fumble under pressure.

More of this when I have to watch the match and go through post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Played the game for 3 years without premium and i was always sceptical as to how much of a difference it made. Always thought the differences were largely cosmetic.

I've had premium for a couple of months now and i bought a renewal in the new year sale but tbh i don't find a huge difference. Yes its more handy (training reports, exact energy levels) but i don't think its given me any greater insight or more enjoyment. That depends on how you use it obviously but for me its much of a muchness.

Just on Number 5 fewi. I actually miss scrolling through my players histories on the date to see if they've popped. Just checking the training report is a bit of an anti-climax! And having to wait 24 hours for the game intensity levels was the thing that wrecked my head most about no premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

corny wrote: »
    Played the game for 3 years without premium and i was always sceptical as to how much of a difference it made. Always thought the differences were largely cosmetic.

I've had premium for a couple of months now and i bought a renewal in the new year sale but tbh i don't find a huge difference. Yes its more handy (training reports, exact energy levels) but i don't think its given me any greater insight or more enjoyment. That depends on how you use it obviously but for me its much of a muchness.

Just on Number 5 fewi. I actually miss scrolling through my players histories on the date to see if they've popped. Just checking the training report is a bit of an anti-climax! And having to wait 24 hours for the game intensity levels was the thing that wrecked my head most about no premium.

Yeah, the differences aren't game changers. Apart from player stats, everything else is available. It really just depends on what time you have available to do the grunt work.

I don't even look at the training reports, I just scroll through my squad and look at pops. Much better feel than words in a report :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

There is some pretty exciting discussions going on within the business dev team about some premium features!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

The intensity level bit would get me. I want to know what intensity everyone played in my league by 5 o'clock on Saturday. Sad, but true.

Other thing that annoyed me was not seeing percentage capacity on stadium attendance.

Great idea for a thread Fewi.

12. No idea what intensity Mar-z played.

13. Can't see what percentage of my stadium was filled.

14. Can't see the half-time stats. Beaten by two tries... but was it close at half time?

15. The Cougar Life ad underneath the match report is mocking me and my online sports, while also suggesting I want an older lady.

16. Just noticed it doesn't show you how many stars you used to recruit a youth player. Gah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

Fewcifur wrote: »
    12. No idea what intensity Mar-z played.

normal with a couple of 2nds thrown in

13. Can't see what percentage of my stadium was filled.

99%, with all the drop due to only filling 66% of corporate seats

14. Can't see the half-time stats. Beaten by two tries... but was it close at half time?

20-3 at halftime so we drew the second half

15. The Cougar Life ad underneath the match report is mocking me and my online sports, while also suggesting I want an older lady.

yeah you do!

16. Just noticed it doesn't show you how many stars you used to recruit a youth player. Gah!

turns out i can see yours but i'm too lazy to go through your team and tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭cclampett

The biggest annoyance for me without premium was losing the scout rules for the TM - took me a while to realise why i wasn't getting any messages for it.

Actually guys, do you have any premium ideas? is there anything that you would really like to see - premium only comps and such?

Phonehead wrote: »
    Actually guys, do you have any premium ideas? is there anything that you would really like to see - premium only comps and such?

I think premium only comps will kinda ruin it a bit. I like the way that a premium member and a non-premium member are the very same on the pitch etc.
    A premium lounge on the other hand might be something to increase purchases. Most sites (even boards I think) have some sort of paid members only forums.

It's actually quite tough to implement premium-only features without affecting the whole "no advantage on match day" type element.
    A nice option might be to rest an individual player from training for a week. Team training might not take that much of a toll on energy, but, the concept might be nice.

Under Thursday conditions played on a sunday with say 20 minute halves, enable mini tournaments! no ingame advantage but a really good perk.

• Advertisement

Phonehead wrote: »
    Under Thursday conditions played on a sunday with say 20 minute halves, enable mini tournaments! no ingame advantage but a really good perk.

Actually yeah, that might be pretty cool. If they made a big BR organised premium cup, well it'd be pretty exciting.

Cheers, that's what I'm thinking

Advertisement