Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And you need a reason shoot Feral Cats

Options
  • 30-01-2013 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

Cats killing billions of animals in the US

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21236690

Cats are one of the top threats to US wildlife, killing billions of animals each year, a study suggests.
    The authors estimate they are responsible for the deaths of between 1.4 and 3.7 billion birds and 6.9-20.7 billion mammals annually.

Writing in Nature Communications, the scientists said stray and feral cats were the worst offenders.
    However, they added that pet cats also played a role and that owners should do more to reduce their impact.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Reason enough..

'hdz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10862513

This chap has the same Idea in New Zealand

Here is the local reply

http://www.facebook.com/CatsAgainstGarethMorgan?ref=stream

On a slightly different note, In NZ they get a NZ$100/kg bounty on possum pelts because of the damage they are doing to the eco-system

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

4gun wrote: »
    The thing is in NZ there is a lot of flightless bird life that is severely impacted by Cats, Stoats and Possums that eat the eggs.
    I would fully support mandatory microchipping and licensing, if its good enough for dog owners then its good enough for cat owners.
    And no more of this rubbish about Trapping neutering and releasing cats back into the wild to do more damage.
    They should be trapped and checked for chips, no chip=destroyed.
    It can't go on the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I've never understood why one would trap feral cats; fix them up, neuter them and than let them back out again. Feral cats are a problem so you trap part of the problem, fix it up and release it again to cause more havoc ?

I'm by no means saying that any cat in a field is fair game but I for one would not hesitate to shoot a cat I've seen a few times behaving like a wild animal a fair distance from any dwelling. To clarify that; I'm not talking about the likes of a cat a few minutes walking away from a farm; that's more than likely the farmers' little ratter. I'm talking about the half starved wild as lightning yokes you encounter more and more down the end of remote lanes in fields and bogs where their loving owners seem to bring them for their permanent holidays in the wild.

In reply to the post above; not because they're easy to shoot but because they're a wildlife disaster.

Advertisement