Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Fran - 2013

Options
  • 30-01-2013 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys, been using boards for a long time but it's my first post here.
    I'm planning on heading to San Francisco for a couple a months during the summer July + August prob. I work for myself so no probs with getting the time off. Anyway the reason for the trip is to see a bit of the US and also to get involved in the tech start-up culture of Palo Alto.

So here's my questions:
    1) Traveling for just a few months so what visa do i need? Will I get by on the visa waiver program or should I apply for the B1 B2 visa? My plans re work when I get over there is to work as an unpaid intern as i really just want to get involved with interesting people who want to create something new.
    2) Where would you think would be a good place to start searching for the following:
    > accommodation - preferably shared, in a lively location
    > a tech start up looking for an intern

Thanks in advance

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

So here's my questions:
    1) Traveling for just a few months so what visa do i need? Will I get by on the visa waiver program or should I apply for the B1 B2 visa? My plans re work when I get over there is to work as an unpaid intern as i really just want to get involved with interesting people who want to create something new.

Quite simply you can't do either unless you are a recent college graduate and can get in J1.
    Visa waiver is strictly for tourism or business meetings - nothing more. You won't get a b1 or b2 as you are able to get the visa waiver.
    The only way to legally work, paid or unpaid is on a proper visa, either J1 or something like that or else if an employer sponsors you to come over (in my case L1, an intercompany transfer)

If you get caught working you will be banned from the US for anything from 10 years to Life.

Also, just remember you are asked at the border when on the VWP what your intentions are - if you can't prove proper ties to Ireland, or the border guard gets suspicious, you can be denied entry.
    2) Where would you think would be a good place to start searching for the following:
    > accommodation - preferably shared, in a lively location
    > a tech start up looking for an intern

Craigslist - but I would take care of question 1 first before you look at this...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You won't get a b1 or b2 as you are able to get the visa waiver.

Actually, not true. You can apply for a B1/B2 tourist visa if you so wish. This allows stays of up to 6 months as opposed to 90 days on the Visa waiver.

However OP, I don't think that unpaid internships would be allowed under either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 markymark88

Thanks guys for the responses.
    Didn't think I'd need a visa to do unpaid work, which is a shame really cause I was looking forward to going there for the experience really. The J1 isn't an option for me cause I'm not in college. The employer sponsorship idea is interesting, but I'm guessing this would be difficult enough to organize, but I'm not afraid of doing a bit of hard work to make this happen.
    I'll probably email/call the embassy in Dublin tomorrow and see what they can do for me.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Employer sponsership is very hard to obtain: you would need to have a very specific set of skills to make this happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Thanks guys for the responses.
    Didn't think I'd need a visa to do unpaid work, which is a shame really cause I was looking forward to going there for the experience really. The J1 isn't an option for me cause I'm not in college. The employer sponsorship idea is interesting, but I'm guessing this would be difficult enough to organize, but I'm not afraid of doing a bit of hard work to make this happen.
    I'll probably email/call the embassy in Dublin tomorrow and see what they can do for me.
    Thanks.

I really don't want to rain on your parade, but you are not going to get too far. The US is notoriously hard to get into for anything other than a vacation. When I started the process to get my L1a visa, my company lawyer outlined the ways in...

1. Study at an accredited university
    2. intercompany transfer (need to work at european affiliate for at least 1 year and have a skill that can't be found in the US)
    3. have a skill with years of experience (if no university, 4 years of work =1 year of study)
    4. marry an american
    5. Either be in or just finished university and go for the summer or 1 year.

There are of course people that come and work regardless of laws or morals, but you either can never leave america and hope to god you don't get sick or in trouble with the law, or else leave and never want to return (cos they just won't let you back in)

I seriously would recommend you save up some cash, enough for 90 days and see this country as a visitor, and not want anything more from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 markymark88

I seriously would recommend you save up some cash, enough for 90 days and see this country as a visitor, and not want anything more from it.

Looks like a plan to me :D

Thanks everyone.

Advertisement