Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland to announce aid for Syria

• 30-01-2013 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Ireland is to announce €4.7 million aid for victims of the civil war in Syria. Bringing it to a total of €7.1 million in aid.(rte news)

The situation in Syria is horrendous but we can't afford to be donors when we haven't a pot to p1ss in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

EURATS wrote: »
    [...] we haven't a pot to p1ss in.

We're not in the same league. Our pot is only figurative.
    Earlier, the UNHCR told RTÉ News that if the influx of Syrian refugees into
    Jordan continues at such a high rate it would run out of emergency supplies such
    as tents, blankets and sleeping mats within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cocobear

dvpower wrote: »

Ah yeah sure let's give them some of our borrowed money!
    F##ked up or what ? Politicians with no balls and trying to be PC!
    All foreign aid should be ceased immediately, we are broke for God's sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I'm unsure whether the UNHCR's statement regarding resources relates to Jordan's or the UN's ?

However I'm sure the Kingdom will be able to divert sufficient resources from it's Defence Budget to assist it's Syrian
    brothers...

http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Jordan

Defence Budget (2012) : $1,310,000,000

Mind you,this is more than covered by existing incoming Foreign Aid anyway....

http://english.nuqudy.com/Levant/Jordan_State_Budget-2165
    Half of Jordan’s 2.5 billion dollars of foreign aid will go towards the state budget,

Interesting blog opinion here....

http://www.black-iris.com/2012/02/06/jordan-one-of-the-most-militarized-nations-on-earth/

Whether or not Ireland Teo can afford to further borrow money to assist unfortunates in far flung foreign lands is a moot point in itself,but still one worth discussing?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I'm unsure whether the UNHCR's statement regarding resources relates to Jordan's or the UN's ?
    The UNHCR were referring to their own budget.

Jordan have upwards of 230,000 Syrian refugees, so I think its fair to say that they are playing more than their part.
    The aid, so far as I can tell, isn't limited to UNHCR operations in Jordan alone.

Jordan, by the by, has an unemployment rate comparable to ours, are in an IMF program, like us and have high public debt and a whole range of other problems. We're in a better place than Jordan is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

we haven't a pot to p1ss in.

We are hardly living in makeshift tents, pitched on filthy and flooded wasteland in sub zero temperatures at night. There the ones who literally haven't a pot to piss in.

• Advertisement

We are hardly living in makeshift tents, pitched on filthy and flooded wasteland in sub zero temperatures at night. They're the ones who literally haven't a pot to piss in.

Well that is doubtless true for some of them.

Other Jordanians however,appear to be getting by alright....

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/entertainment-articles/king-of-jordan-star-trek-theme-park/
    His royal family has kept very quiet about their net worth, which is unknown, with most royal families around the world having disclosed their wealth. Judging from his recent projects, he's got enough to commission his own Starship Enterprise.

I'm not actually that concerned about how wealthy these folks may be at all,however I do believe elements such as this need to be considered by OUR Government before committing monies (which we must borrow) to foreign aid programmes in general.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Well that is doubtless true for some of them.

Other Jordanians however,appear to be getting by alright....

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/entertainment-articles/king-of-jordan-star-trek-theme-park/

I'm not actually that concerned about how wealthy these folks may be at all,however I do believe elements such as this need to be considered by OUR Government before committing monies (which we must borrow) to foreign aid programmes in general.

I think you're mixing up Syrians with Jordanians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

cocobear wrote: »
    Ah yeah sure let's give them some of our borrowed money!
    F##ked up or what ? Politicians with no balls and trying to be PC!
    All foreign aid should be ceased immediately, we are broke for God's sake

Apparently you haven't the slightest notion what "PC" means. I find this is a common occurrence amongst the angry, reactionary element of the populace.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

We are hardly living in makeshift tents, pitched on filthy and flooded wasteland in sub zero temperatures at night. There the ones who literally haven't a pot to piss in.

Dip into your own pocket if you feel so strongly about it. Ireland is not in a position to do so..but does it anyway because...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Indeed. Look at all the Irish people who need tents and blankets. ;)

• Advertisement

Indeed. Look at all the Irish people who need tents and blankets. ;)

Indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

The government is broke but this is still a very rich country.

It'd be interesting to know how many people complaining about foreign aid are on welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

It'd be interesting to know how many people complaining about foreign aid are on welfare.

The attitude of some Irish people regarding foreign aid is disgusting in my opinion. Those people have nothing and are subjected to violence and terror on a daily basis. They would think they had won the lotto if each of them were handed €188 a week.

€5m is nothing, it wouldn't have covered the filling of a pothole on the M50 during the boom or the erection of some hideous, non-informative sign. Just because our government are in a deficit doesn't mean that we haven't the means to help out a desperate nation/people when they need it.

And to the person above who said if I feel that strongly about then I can dip into my pocket - sorry am I mistaken or do I not pay taxes? It's coming out of all our pockets. We are a human race that is meant to be compassionate towards people in distress, how any of you can think ye have it worse than them is beyond me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭tenton

The 600 million euro we gave in foreign aid last year will cost our kids and grandkids three times that in interest by the time its paid back. Crazy when you discover where some of the money ends up.

If a begger on the street was bankrupt and a lender of last resort was lending him money, would he be allowed to squander money like that? To hell he would!

People who want to give money to other countries should do it out of their own pockets, without the cowardly action of burdening our grandkids even further than they will otherwise be.

I think you're mixing up Syrians with Jordanians.

Nope dvp,I'm cool with the differentation....Just mentioning the Kingdom as it was mentioned in the OP as the country where the problem was now manifesting itself.

Oh no, some more imaginary money that I'll never have to pay back is going to be borrowed to save people from starving! Woe is me(!)

I guess you are right. We haven't sold off everything yet.

Start a thread and do a poll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I guess you are right. We haven't sold off everything yet.
    We're working on it!;)

shedweller wrote: »
    We're working on it!;)

I wouldn't call it work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I wouldn't call it work
    No, it's quite effortless actually!

• Advertisement

shedweller wrote: »
    No, it's quite effortless actually!

Very good. Actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

What is this set of one-line airings of people's prejudices doing masquerading as a discussion thread?

moderately,
    Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement