Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aquariam shops dont sell extension leads,timers etc...WHY????

Options
  • 30-01-2013 12:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Theres a big market right there that the aquariam shops are missing out on.

People will need extension leads,timers,adaptors and electrical items to run their tanks.

So why dont any of the aquariam shops stock a decent supply of these items.

4 gang sockets,6 gang sockets,24 hour and 7 day timer sockets,2 pin-3 pin adaptor sockets and so on.

Maybe the aquariam shops and their owners might look in at this thread and think..."that bloke has a point there"...then again maybe not??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

Possibly because the 500% markup across all stock would leave the customer no choice but to go to Woodies / B&Q for them?

No evidence of that figure, but it sure feels like it every time I purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

examples of this

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ARCADIA-CLASSICA-24-HOUR-PLUG-FISH-TANK-LIGHT-TIMER-/200616945974

http://www.seahorseaquariums.com/Lighting-Asseccories/lighting/611

could be a mistake :)

But that timer is available in loads of places cheaper than Seahorse, and a much more advanced timer can be had for half the price if you shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Aquarium shops wouldn't be buying the quantity of electrical equipment required to get it at cheap prices so they can sell it cheaper like B&Q etc.

I don't particularly want to go into Seahorse Aquariums and see a whole shelf stacked with extension leads, plugs and timers either. I'd much rather see some extra aquarium equipment or more fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Aquarium shops wouldn't be buying the quantity of electrical equipment required to get it at cheap prices so they can sell it cheaper like B&Q etc.

I don't particularly want to go into Seahorse Aquariums and see a whole shelf stacked with extension leads, plugs and timers either. I'd much rather see some extra aquarium equipment or more fish.

There is an electrical wholesalers beside Seahorse. "Harkness Electrical". Thats where I have gotten all my timers and extension cables for the tank there. The lads in seahorse will tell you where it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Riamfada wrote: »
    There is an electrical wholesalers beside Seahorse. "Harkness Electrical". Thats where I have gotten all my timers and extension cables for the tank there. The lads in seahorse will tell you where it is.

Im fine.

Ive so many different timers and 4/6 gang extension leads that I could set up a shop and sell them myself at this stage.:D

It just came into my mind when visiting 2 well known aquariam shops in Dublin...that there wasnt any stock of extension leads or timers.

It would be handy to have a few in stock..especially for any 1st timer fish enthusiasts or maybe a mam,dad and child buying a tank,light,heater and filter setup for the 1st time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Maybe a health and safety issue? No plugs/timers to be messed around with near water.......

But yeah, would be handy to have them in the same shop - despite having to pay a couple extra € for them:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Cant beat Argos for these

Masterplug Twin Pack 4 Socket Extension Lead - 0.75m.
    901/6930 €6.99

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9016930/Trail/searchtext%3E4+GANG+SOCKET.htm

This 4 gang socket has surge protection built in but costs €13.49

Argos Value Range 4 Socket Surge Extension Lead - 2m.
    901/7025
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9017025/c_1/1|category_root|Garden+and+DIY|14418702/c_2/3|19805469|Electrical+accessories|14418903/c_3/4|cat_14418903|Leads+and+sockets|14418910.htm

Have a similar device from Argos powering everything on my tank, picked it up on offer for around 8 euro recently

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I bought several of the Masterplug 6 gang sockets myself....(7 euro each in Argos back in January)
    Also an Argos 8 gang socket that I got for a fiver.:D

Have the 500 litre Discuss tank set up on 2 of them,and have the newer 380 litre tank in the kitchen set up on 5 meter long 6 gang socket.
    This is hard wired into a 13amp switch fuseed spur.:)

Advertisement