Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Tornado Season

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Terrible terrible news. Gutted. RIP. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

The spotter network's tribute to Tim, Paul and Carl http://www.spotternetwork.org/google.php

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

just heard about this, his storyline drama from storm chasers was the overly careful guy, that's why im so surprised to hear him and his team got hit

he wasn't some glory hunter he was serious about it

here's a good piece on his attempt to capture lightning on an old military camera http://abcnews.go.com/US/storm-chasers-tim-samaras-paul-samaras-carl-young/story?id=19308572#.UaudA9hCmH8

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Iancar29 wrote: »
    He really was , him and Carl both , they were very welcoming people when we met them one evening after a meal .

Lovely for you to have that pic with them. Such a huge loss and by all accounts, one of the most careful and considered chasers, as well as experienced. Rip, Tim, Paul and Carl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so this wasn't their truck they were in but a Chevy Cobalt

Tim was found in the vehicle, the other two were ripped from it. One of them was found half a mile away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

:( as a avid follower of the discovery channel tornado documentaries, i was shocked to hear about Tim Samaras and Carl Young, because between the 3 chasers, they usually the safest of the bunch. R.I.P:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

was just watching a video about the update, 2.6 miles wide !!! :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=01KlBpMMtdM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

At least we can say that it took the strongest and widest tornado to take 3 veteran chasers.

Watch in 1080p

576720_151701608347399_1695643814_n.jpg

It went from one mile wide to 2.6 miles wide in 30 seconds, making it the widest tornado in history. That's 281.6 feet per second!

No wonder they were caught out, especially considering the traffic jams.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

Would it be safe to say the El Reno Tornado was "the Devils fist" instead of "the finger of God" ?

What a beast !!

Neither. People tend to get carried away.

They sure where with 475 km/h winds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

weisses wrote: »
    They sure where with 475 km/h winds

That comment is not appropriate with en-light of resent events over they last number of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

The original comment from 141_Oscar_Mike was a bit bitchey and troll-like to be fair, so I can understand Weisses reply.

I think there was good reason to think of this as a 'beast' due to the sheer width of it and the rapid increase in size as well as a sudden change of direction. Add to all that, the fact that a well known chasing team was wiped out and its safe to say no-one is overstating the impact.

Was'nt trolling. Just hate hearing a natural disaster being called an act of god. Maybe i took it up wrong but i was'nt bitching or trolling just to clarify.

Finger of god was used in the movie Twister ... I assumed people would get my point specially in the Tornado season thread

• Advertisement

Either way, I was'nt trying to troll.

That makes that post even more ridiculous imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

I fail to see how my comment was in any way bitchy or troll like.

My post was not the problem. Lets end it there.

Wow :rolleyes:

:) Didnt mean to start an argument!

I get your point now and I'll admit I took it up wrong the first time. Apologies. Nevertheless I still feel it was a tad uncalled for.

back on topic.... decent programme on tonight on Channel 4 looking at the Moore tornado. Some good video footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

High Risk issued for today

2xACUS01.png

Valid 121630z - 131200z

..there is a high risk of severe thunderstorms from extreme eastern Iowa
    across northern Illinois/Indiana and extreme southwest lower
    Michigan and Northwest Ohio...

..there is a MDT risk of severe thunderstorms surrounding the high risk area
    from eastern Iowa to western Ohio...

..there is a slight risk of severe thunderstorms surrounding the MDT risk area
    from the Central Plains/Midwest to East Coast and parts of the southern
    Appalachians...

..there is a slight risk of severe thunderstorms over much of Montana and a part of
    northestern Wyoming...

A significant severe weather outbreak appears increasingly likely
    across portions of the upper Midwest/lower Great Lakes from this
    afternoon through this evening. Intense storm development in a very
    unstable airmass...coincident with a compact and intensifying
    surface low should result in numerous damaging wind events as well
    as scattered...possibly strong tornadoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Watch this radar explode into action about 10:30 pm IST (six hour time difference, 4:30 pm CDT). At this point, as low pressure moves east from Iowa, the warm sector reaches the arc of convective cloud south and west of Chicago. Lake Michigan lake breezes will tend to hold this warm front in place then a fast-moving cold front will undercut the warm sector which currently has sunshine and high humidity (32/24 temp/dp typical) despite the current radar appearance which is ground clutter. Tornadic risk will be at its highest around Davenport IA, Peoria IL, Champaign-Urbana IL, Lafayette IN and through north central IN to western Ohio. Heavy rainfalls of 100-200 mm are possible north of the wave crest in southern WI, northern half of Chicago metro area, northern IN and southern MI. Discussions also mention 4" hail. My guess is that tornado intensity will max out around F2-3 but can't rule out F4.

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?rid=ilx&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no

This system will unfortunately be heading to eastern PA tomorrow and could result in a washout of the first round play at the U.S. Open golf event (possibly with some rounds partly complete).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Chilling in Chicago now waiting for it to hit!! Few cans, be grand.... We hope :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Seriously though lads, we're up north of the city, are we ok on the third floor and the Weather Channel are just bigging this event up?

Advertisement