Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing on a full moon

Options
  • 30-01-2013 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭

Fishy story again :)

I sometimes fish Fanore and any time I fished there on a summers night with a full moon,the limestone of the Burren is illuminated,then reflects onto the beach and water :)

The whole place is lit up.

A few of us diehard Lakeland East Clare boogers are thinking of trying out a moonlight surf.

Were well used to the rocks on the left and right but will have 2 sea angling tripods with lamps marking our boundaries.

So we know when were off course..

Have any of ye tried night surfing ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

never went surfing at night, but often surfed thru sunset and into the darkness, your eyes adjust seriously well. But if you get into trouble your ********

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Attach glow sticks to your arms or some other sort of beacon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Lol I know it looks a bit mad but seriously the whole place lights up,if its a cloudless night you can even see the horizon...
    Not always but sometimes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭dathi

surfing on a full moon? wouldn't your ass freeze without your wetsuit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Aquilard

Done night surfing before on clear nights and has been okay, eyes adjust pretty well. there was an odd wave that creeped up on us though. if you do it make sure people know that are and possible keeping an eye out for ye while on the water as possibility of something going wrong goes way up.

glow sticks above is a good idea.. can keep a good eye on each other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

i've done it a couple of times, it's amazing, totally different, you can hear a lot more since you zone in on that when you can't see. risky carry on would be easy to ram into another surfer. i have a memory of pumping down the face of a wave and the full moon reflecting all the way down it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You'd surprised how dark it gets if cloud set in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Aquilard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Aquilard wrote: »
    :eek: I want one!!!

Wouldn't be too hard to make. There's a video somewhere of them making the boards. More or less router in a few channels and epoxy in a few LED strips. Just need a donor board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Its easy enough to surf lahinch beach in the dark. The lights in the village give you enough illumination, and your eyes do adjust well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

I surfed Fanore beach a few times with the full moon. This time last year was the last time I did it.
    If the sky's really clear you get an extra hour or more but it becomes sketchy if the rocks are sticking up on the beach when you exit and make your way back to the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

That's the problem with Fanore,rocks and lots of Rocks
    The sand moves a lot around this beach.
    During the 90s Fanore was almost 100% sand,hardly any rocks now it can resemble a reef sometimes :S

Advertisement