Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping your dog safe

• 30-01-2013 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

With the increase lately in dog theft, what can you do to keep your dog safe from these dirty rotten scumbags.
    My dog is: neutered, microchipped, has a tag with name, contact numbers and stating that he is neutered and chipped.

I'm afraid to leave him out in the yard now to be honest, i'd loose my life if anything happened to him but he hates being alone in the house.
    But i'm going to have to get him used to it.

They only thing is all our neighbours have dogs labs, a collie and boxers and they go nuts if anyone is hanging around the backs.

Is there any other steps to take?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

handbagmad wrote: »
    With the increase lately in dog theft, what can you do to keep your dog safe from these dirty rotten scumbags.
    My dog is: neutered, microchipped, has a tag with name, contact numbers and stating that he is neutered and chipped.

I'm afraid to leave him out in the yard now to be honest, i'd loose my life if anything happened to him but he hates being alone in the house.

They only thing is all our neighbours have dogs labs, a collie and boxers and they go nuts if anyone is hanging around the backs.

Good pictures of your dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A run with a good lock, maybe.

The thing is that it doesn't really matter if the dog is indoors or outdoors, if they want it, they'll take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP,

Im the very same as you, Im terrified of my dog getting robbed, I would rather him PTS than let the knackers get their hands on him, god knows what they would do with him / to him.

Like you he is always left indoors when im not home, since October he has stays every day in the kitchen. Im lucky though he’s nearly 8, is all he does is sleep all day. As soon as I get home I bring him out for a 5 k run so he’s fine with that!

We have a massive field behind our house (like 30 acres or so) which in turns backs on a sh*thole estate full of knackers….
    So I wouldn’t be able to function in work knowing he’s outside alone.

We have him neutered, micro chipped, his collar states both these items and our numbers etc…. god if I could get a GPS thing for him I would….

To be honest that’s about all someone can do to protect your dog.

Don’t know what im going to do during the summer months he will hate being inside, I’ll have to try and work out something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

handbagmad wrote: »

to be honest I'd probably take your dogs name off the tag.... :o

cocker5 wrote: »

+1, it's better if they can't call your dog by name.

I'll be ordering new tags for mine soon, and all that'll be on there is my phone number and 'neutered and microchipped'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

I don't have my dogs names on their tags either, just one more thing to make it easier to be their 'friend'.... Neutered, Microchipped and contact number.

Also, something that was said to me by my Vet. He told me he has heard of cases where burglars have stolen the dog a week or so before coming back to rob the house. So keep it in mind if your dog does suddenly disappears and you suspect theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

I've her chipped and tagged and don't leave her on her own apart from in her pen which has a padlock on it. I do think if someone really wanted to steal her they'd find a way so i just want to make it as hard as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

cocker5 wrote: »

Thanks for the advice, I never thought of this. Im removing my dogs name tag tomorrow. I have a JR puppy and I'm terrified someone will take him. I got him him microchiped today and he will be neutered at 6 months. When we're out walking everyone stops to pet him. I don't mind other dog walkers or kids but I get paranoid when its a group of fellas or a man we don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

As per the suggestion of a poster here last here in another thread, I put "If I'm alone, I'm lost" and my contact number on the tags my dogs wear. It had never occurred to me before that, that putting their names on it would make it easier for someone to take off with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

thanks everyone never occured to me either about the name. will get new tag asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I need to get new tags done up. Any recomendations?

Thanks for the advice, I never thought of this. Im removing my dogs name tag tomorrow. I have a JR puppy and I'm terrified someone will take him. I got him him microchiped today and he will be neutered at 6 months. When we're out walking everyone stops to pet him. I don't mind other dog walkers or kids but I get paranoid when its a group of fellas or a man we don't know.

It's worrying, isn't it? Terriers can be very attractive for some types, and there are a couple of places I won't go because of people offering to buy the dogs,and I'm afraid that they'll follow me home.

Knine wrote: »
    I need to get new tags done up. Any recomendations?

Keep it simple
    Microchipped, Neutered, Tel. 000

I order mine from http://www.identitag.co.uk

You can give the other side the personal touch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

kylith wrote: »
    +1, it's better if they can't call your dog by name.

I'll be ordering new tags for mine soon, and all that'll be on there is my phone number and 'neutered and microchipped'

As far as I know, by law they must have your address too.

I'm ordering new ones too. On one side, it has my address and phone number. Other side says.
    If I am alone, I am lost.

REWARD FOR SAFE RETURN.

Neutered and microchipped.

I'm not sure about the reward bit, but I want to make sure if someone spotted one of them, they'd bother trying to help. What do you think?

Thanks.

I did not want to buy off a website unless it came recommended.

Mine are not neutered.

I've had people looking for a 'service' from them :rolleyes:

They are bitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

I definitely wouldn't put an address on the tag. Otherwise you might get a phone call, miss the call and suddenly someone has your address and knows you're not around. Not worth the risk

Rommie wrote: »
    I definitely wouldn't put an address on the tag. Otherwise you might get a phone call, miss the call and suddenly someone has your address and knows you're not around. Not worth the risk

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html
    Dog identification
    Dogs must at all times wear a collar that bears the name and the address of the owner inscribed on it or on a plate, badge or disc. Failure to have identification on a dog can result in an on-the-spot fine issued by a dog warden. Failure to pay this fine within a specific period can result in prosecution by the local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Nettekee

I needed new tags anyway, so I've just ordered from the site referred to earlier, good tips on what to put on the tag. though I've not included my address for my own security reason!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

Same with the tag with contact numbers, microchipped and neutered on it. He's kept in the house during the day when we're at work, he's happy that way (he'd cry like a baby if we leave him outside for more than 2 minutes anyway!) and I'm happier in the knowledge that at least he has a better chance being in the house. I wouldn't be comfortable leaving him in the garden for that long. He used to come to work with me but I can't do that anymore so while it's not ideal and I still worry at least he has a better chance inside with the alarm on. Poor boy is so friendly to everyone he meets, if we did ever get broken in to he'd go to anyone the eejit :o You can only do your best in keeping them safe. I would be heartbroken if anyone ever stole him but at least if you keep them as safe as you can you know you did your best for them.

I'm also very wary of where I walk him. If my husband isn't walking with us I only walk him around our local estates. There are far too many stories out there of people snatching dogs off their owners while out walking so we always keep an eye out for anyone dodgy or any car slowing down etc.

I remember growing up we'd always leave our dogs out and about and when we went on holidays neighbours just came down once a day to feed them and check everything was alright. Couldn't imagine doing that these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Dog identification
    Dogs must at all times wear a collar that bears the name and the address of the owner inscribed on it or on a plate, badge or disc. Failure to have identification on a dog can result in an on-the-spot fine issued by a dog warden. Failure to pay this fine within a specific period can result in prosecution by the local authority.

Honestly though, I couldn't fit my full address and phone number onto a dog tag, the poor dogs would be wearing Mr T style medallions if I did:D.

Besides the fact that I don't want my address and phone number out there for somebody who found/stole my dog to have access to. Apart from dognapping we live semi rurally and I certainly don't want to attract criminal elements to our door. I have mine chipped and their tags have 'chipped & spayed' and 2 phone numbers on it. I'd take the fine if by some very slim chance the dog warden* issued one.

* I have called the warden on a number of occasions for various issues (roaming, straying, soiling a premises etc) and not once has he followed through or done anything about any of my reports. I probably have a better chance of winning the lotto than getting prosecuted.

• Advertisement

* I have called the warden on a number of occasions for various issues (roaming, straying, soiling a premises etc) and not once has he followed through or done anything about any of my reports. I probably have a better chance of winning the lotto than getting prosecuted.

This is very true. I don't leave my boys with their tags or collars on when they're in the house and was informed by (If I remember correctly) Laois dog pound, on facebook, that they MUST wear them inside too. It's generally recommended that dogs don't wear collars when unsupervised. So expert advice directly goes against the law :rolleyes:

The main reason I have the address on my two fellas is because if either were found wandering, I want there to be absolutely no excuse for them to not find their way home. With them being RB's I would be in a lot of trouble anyway, so I figure if they have their addresses on them, a warden would have no reason not to contact me.

On the subject of people breaking in, I recently met a lab who had been attacked in his home by someone breaking in. :( I honestly have nightmares about someone breaking in and hurting my boys. I would imagine Harley would try to protect the house which would lead to trouble. I wonder would a thief take me seriously if I shouted down the stairs "Just let the dogs up, I'll lock us all in the bedroom and you're welcome to whatever you want" :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Whispered wrote: »
    This is very true. I don't leave my boys with their tags or collars on when they're in the house and was informed by (If I remember correctly) Laois dog pound, on facebook, that they MUST wear them inside too. It's generally recommended that dogs don't wear collars when unsupervised. So expert advice directly goes against the law :rolleyes:

The main reason I have the address on my two fellas is because if either were found wandering, I want there to be absolutely no excuse for them to not find their way home. With them being RB's I would be in a lot of trouble anyway, so I figure if they have their addresses on them, a warden would have no reason not to contact me.

On the subject of people breaking in, I recently met a lab who had been attacked in his home by someone breaking in. :( I honestly have nightmares about someone breaking in and hurting my boys. I would imagine Harley would try to protect the house which would lead to trouble. I wonder would a thief take me seriously if I shouted down the stairs "Just let the dogs up, I'll lock us all in the bedroom and you're welcome to whatever you want" :D.

The way I see it is that I'm on pretty much every rescue/pound page spanning around 8 counties so if mine did manage to get out/be let out - if they're not stolen then I have an excellent chance of getting them back. We're known to the local vets as well as mine attend one and they know me in the other as I've collected fosters for the local rescue there. We're fairly well known in the locality and on our walking routes as well. :D

The farm across the road was broken into last year and our two went MAD. Stranger danger consistent barking for the entire time the burglars were there. When I say it's across the road it's probably about 500 metres door to to door, they have 3 dogs of their own, 2 collies and a GSD that were secured in part of the house so their stranger danger barking probably set off ours. I turned on the outside lights and in conjunction with the barking it must have spooked them, cos they left fairly sharpish but two of them were picked up on the road by the cops who were on the way due to eircom phonewatch calling them.

If somebody tried to break in when we were here then our two would have us awake within seconds. I would be a lot more worried if somebody tried to break in when we're not here.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Whispered wrote: »
    I honestly have nightmares about someone breaking in and hurting my boys. I would imagine Harley would try to protect the house which would lead to trouble. I wonder would a thief take me seriously if I shouted down the stairs "Just let the dogs up, I'll lock us all in the bedroom and you're welcome to whatever you want" :D.

I think that is most dog owners worst fear. Realistic fear at least, we all have the unrealistic ones. Even if you have a pack of RBs, if they are raised right they wont attack anyone. I know thats the case with mine anyway, she literally allows insects to land on her nose and just watches them. Long as they providse the early warning, thats all you can ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

My pointer manages to get any type of disc or tag that hangs from his collar. And by "get" I mean get hold of it by contorting himself, rip it off and swallow it.
    So I found a website that embroidered the details onto a woven collar. However, it's a few years old now and you can hardly see the phone number anymore.
    So I ordered a tag that lies flat on the collar, you thread it through and it works a treat. It's given me a bit more room for details.
    I have my name on it (not the dogs), my mobile no, "microchipped", and the name of my village and county. I didn't bother using up space to say "neutered" as it's patently obvious, him being a short haired dog!
    It is a decent piece of kit and should last him for the rest of his life. I got it from www.indigocollartags.com

My dogs are of a breed that would not be safe wearing collars when not being supervised.

So they only wear their collars when out and about or going in the car. I would never put my address on my dogs collar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I wouldn't put "Reward for Safe Return" on the tag either. On the offchance that someone noticed it, they could easily exploit it by purposely taking the dog in order to return it!
    I like the "If I'm alone, I'm lost!" idea though - Shadow needs a new tag, and I will definitely be doing this (we have Shadow's name on it, but in fairness - Shadow will answer to anything... my partner has decided his name is Barnabus Collins for the week :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Are people that worried about their dogs getting stolen? And are most of you owners of pure breeds? Mine's a cutie but she's a cross breed and has had the little op so I always assumed she was grand. Our garden is fairly enclosed and there are pure breeds on either side of us and behind us so presumably they're higher risk. The most I leave her is for five minutes outside of the local shop.

I like the idea of the If I'm alone, I'm lost tag. Honey needs a new tag soon so I'm considering that.

On the topic of names on collars, I've picked up a few stray dogs and called their owners to come find them before. Being able to call the dogs by their names helped calm them down. So it's can help people doing good as well as those doing bad.

Aoifums wrote: »
    Are people that worried about their dogs getting stolen? And are most of you owners of pure breeds? Mine's a cutie but she's a cross breed and has had the little op so I always assumed she was grand. Our garden is fairly enclosed and there are pure breeds on either side of us and behind us so presumably they're higher risk. The most I leave her is for five minutes outside of the local shop.

I like the idea of the If I'm alone, I'm lost tag. Honey needs a new tag soon so I'm considering that.

On the topic of names on collars, I've picked up a few stray dogs and called their owners to come find them before. Being able to call the dogs by their names helped calm them down. So it's can help people doing good as well as those doing bad.

Dogs can be stolen for breeding, or for fighting. Cross-breeds are no more safe than pedigree dogs in this. If a thief is aware from the get-go that the dog they are attempting to steal cannot reproduce, and will show a microchip if it ever has to go to a vet, it might deter them.
    It does help to know a dog's name if you are an honest person of course. But I find most well-looked-after dogs who are terrified and lost will come to anyone with food and a kind voice and soft approach :o

Aoifums wrote: »
    The most I leave her is for five minutes outside of the local shop.

While I wouldn't be overly paranoid on a day to day basis of leaving them in my reasonably secure garden, leaving them tied outside a shop is something I'd be VERY paranoid over! It really depends on where you live though. I'd be terrified of them being taken by unscrupulous people stealing them for dog fighting.

• Advertisement

carav10 wrote: »
    While I wouldn't be overly paranoid on a day to day basis of leaving them in my reasonably secure garden, leaving them tied outside a shop is something I'd be VERY paranoid over! It really depends on where you live though. I'd be terrified of them being taken by unscrupulous people stealing them for dog fighting.

Agreed, I had my old terrier-cross (OBVIOUSLY a mutt!) approached outside a shop by two teenage boys (my boyfriend at the time stupidly tied him up and went to speak to someone living across the road while he was waiting on me). As soon as I went out, one boy scarpered and the other tried to buy him from me! Definitely wouldn't leave my dog outside a shop! Usually small local shops wont mind if you take your dog in with you ;)

Advertisement