Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i leave dog inside or outside

• 30-01-2013 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

I'm finnishing up in work on friday and any new job i get won't be near doggy daycare where nala's been going 5 days a week. In case i don't get a job near enough to get home at lunch i wanted to start nala getting used to being left outside in case i have to leave her out. I left her in her pen last thursday and friday and she seemed ok. This morning though there's gale force winds and hail stones and i couldn't leave her out in it even though she has a coat and kennel. My only issue with leaving her inside is needing to go to the toilet? I brought her for a walk/run this morning before i left at 7 and my boyfriend will bring her out before he leaves at 8.20. I should be home at 5. Is this too long to expect her to hold it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Yes. That's far too long. She's be grand outside once she has a warm kennel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

It's about the same amount of time they have to hold overnight. With 2 walks before work I'm sure she'd happily sleep all day :) I know my two would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Can you find a new daycare? Or is there a neighbour or family member who could pop in at lunchtime to let her out? Inside or out its a helluva a long time to leave a dog.

My own opinion - I'd rather my dog safe and warm inside - I'd risk the odd accident for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

nala2012 wrote: »
    I'm finnishing up in work on friday and any new job i get won't be near doggy daycare where nala's been going 5 days a week. In case i don't get a job near enough to get home at lunch i wanted to start nala getting used to being left outside in case i have to leave her out. I left her in her pen last thursday and friday and she seemed ok. This morning though there's gale force winds and hail stones and i couldn't leave her out in it even though she has a coat and kennel. My only issue with leaving her inside is needing to go to the toilet? I brought her for a walk/run this morning before i left at 7 and my boyfriend will bring her out before he leaves at 8.20. I should be home at 5. Is this too long to expect her to hold it?

Put a hot water bottle in to the kennel and leave her outside

Can you find a new daycare? Or is there a neighbour or family member who could pop in at lunchtime to let her out? Inside or out its a helluva a long time to leave a dog.

My own opinion - I'd rather my dog safe and warm inside - I'd risk the odd accident for that.

It wouldn't fair on the dog, in fact it's bordering on cruelty making it hold its pee all day.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't fair on the dog, in fact it's bordering on cruelty making it hold its pee all day.

I believe it to be cruel to regularly leave a dog for that length of time full stop.

I believe it to be cruel to regularly leave a dog for that length of time full stop.

So you'd rather it left alone all day AND stuck inside where it will be bursting for a wee?

So you'd rather it left alone all day AND stuck inside where it will be bursting for a wee?

How often does your dog go to the toilet? I'm here all day with my two and they rarely need to go. Their morning walk, their evening walk and before bed. That's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sure dogs hold their wee in all night when they are in bed dont they? So what would be different than the same amount of time during the day? Some dogs can hold it all day, some cant.
    Obviously its not ideal to keep them in alld ay without a pee break.

Maybe you could get a dog walker to come and let her out during the day for a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

She will revert to going to the bathroom inside if she is left in that long or she will develop kidney and bladder issues if she doesn't go at all. Dogs holding it at night when they are asleep is one thing, like ourselves, their bodies are able to hold it (most of the time) but when you are awake and aware of the need to go, life is a lot harder. Vets are seeing this more and more these days with indoor and crated dogs that are not given enough of a chance to go to the bathroom.

Is she a small dog that you can get a dog door for. I know a lot of people don't want to get them for larger dogs due to burglars and the like, but if she is small it could be ideal.

Other than that, your only real option is to leave her out when you are out.

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    How often does your dog go to the toilet? I'm here all day with my two and they rarely need to go. Their morning walk, their evening walk and before bed. That's it.

I have a Beagle (not sure if that makes a difference) and he goes more than three times a day for sure. He's a house dog but once a week because of our work routines, he's out the back for about 8 hours on his own.

I don't like him being by himself for that length of time but that's the way it is. I would rather him out the back for 8 hours than inside for 8 hours and maybe needing to go toilet, holding it and being stressed not wanting to do it inside.

I have a Beagle (not sure if that makes a difference) and he goes more than three times a day for sure. He's a house dog but once a week because of our work routines, he's out the back for about 8 hours on his own.

I don't like him being by himself for that length of time but that's the way it is. I would rather him out the back for 8 hours than inside for 8 hours and maybe needing to go toilet, holding it and being stressed not wanting to do it inside.

I'm not sure if breed makes a difference to be honest. Just going by my two, they sleep all day when we're not training or walking. I think routine is everything, they're like clockwork. :) They can go outside whenever they want, and often do, but rarely go to the toilet more often than morning walk and evening walk, then before bed. If I bring them out during the day they'll mark alright, but are not bothered at all about going out to the toilet.

Actually, even when I have them in work with me, where they have free access in and out, they don't tend to go more than usual.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

my dogs are both inside dogs, as in they sleep inside and would spend the majority of the day inside when I'm home. But, when we have to be away from them for longer than 4-5 hours, they are both put outside. They each have a kennel, plenty of room to move about as well.

9 times out of 10, the collie will just lay at the front of the house watching the world go by and the jrt will lay at the back with her bone.

Its not perfect, but it is the only solution to my problem. I can't afford daycare and even if I could, the collie would be traumatised and the jrt would probably traumatise the others:D

Both dogs have regular exercise and do not seem to suffer any ill effects from being outside.

is that what i said? really? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

on bad weather days i leave my border collie indoors with my mini jack russells (who live indoors all the time). they at least have the doggy door to go out but she can't fit! however she never has had an accident on these days. i leave at around 8:45am and get home at 6pm and even though i let her out first thing when i get back, she rarely has to go even then. i wouldn't worry about yours tbh. the weather at the moment is so unpredictable and the temperatures are going up and down all the time. i'd leave her in on the cold wintry days. they'll just sleep all day most likely anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Don't pay too much attention to those who say it's cruel to leave your dog outside for that length of time. It's not, provided they're broken into the routine & have a good draught free, cosy kennel in a sheltered spot. It's where they spend most of theday anyway! A good chew toy or two is a good idea too.

My first dog was outside from 9-6 for the first year on her own, now she's a pal & they're both outside during the day. They're in from the time I get home though. I've checked with neighbours & they've never heard them barking so it's no harm to check in with the neighbours as well.

Break her in gently to the new situation, good kennel, toys & I'm sure she'll be fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

My dog's inside for up to 9 hours a day. (Circumstances changed after we got him - he's far happier inside the house for the day, with the cats who he gets on with, and the radio on, than he would be outside.) He's a large enough crossbreed and has no problems holding his bladder. Even when I get home and let him out it's not like he runs straight to the grass and pees - mostly he runs about finding his toys and demanding a game. The need to pee seems to strike after he's done a bit of running around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Those of you who leave your dog outside, do you ever worry about it being stolen?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Vel wrote: »
    Those of you who leave your dog outside, do you ever worry about it being stolen?

I think if you dwell on that kind of thing, you'd drive yourself demented.

I have a 6ft fence to the sides of the house blocking off access to the back where they are, a huuuge wall at the back that nobody would get over. Both side gates are locked to deter access. People across the road are home all day. I live at the end of an estate where there's no through traffic or pedestrians so if a 'non-local' drove down, it would be noticed. Another house has a security camera pointing onto the road that is the only way in and out. My dogs are neutered and microchipped, says both on their collar tags, so I figure I take all necessary precautions. You can't wrap them in cotton wool or be impractical about the whole thing. I hate the thought of anything happening to them, but at the end of the day, as long as you are as careful as possible and protect them the best you can, then that's as much as you can do. Kind of like children really!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Vel wrote: »

Sometimes, but like the previous poster wrote I try not to dwell on it. I'd be more worried about them dying in a house fire if I left them inside, but that's just me being paranoid!

OP, I think it depends on the type of dog you have. Mine are Setters so they're hardy dogs and love being outside. They do sleep for a lot of the day, but even when I'm there they regularly ask to go out to have a wander around the garden for a bit. On a dry day one of them will sometimes sit outside for a 30 minutes or more before asking to be let in. I don't think they'd be happy cooped up for the whole day, but that's just my dogs. :) As long as your dog is a hardy breed and has a variety of toys to keep her occupied and a warm kennel she should be ok.

Whatever you decide to do make sure you "wean" her off daycare slowly, so that she gradually gets used to spending her days at home without her doggy friends. I would definitely look into a dog walker to help ease the transition and break up the day for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

So my boyfriend ended up coming home at lunch time and said she peed a tiny bit after a ten minute walk. She's raw fed so doesn't drink much water and doesn't seem to pee often anyway. To the people who think its cruel to leave her inside i'd disagree, she's used to being inside more than she is out and i think she's far more comfortable inside. I've come to the conclusion that it depends on the dog. I've been weaning her off daycare the last few weeks bringing her every 2nd day and my friends boxer comes to play with her every couple of evenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

What age is she op? Mine are in with me all day and rarely need to go for a pee. One of them won't go out first thing in the morning either, wait`s for her walk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

I leave him inside while I'm at work. I'm gone from 8-5 so it's not ideal but if I left him outside he'd go mental, he's an indoor dog and refuses to stay outside for longer than a toilet break or he'd almost break the door down! He gets a walk in the morning to empty the tank(s) :D and another one as soon as I get home. He seems happy out all day sleeping or playing with his toys or hidden treats....and from what my neighbour says he spends a lot of time looking out the window barking at any dogs or cats that walk by so we know he's happy. Most of all it's for safety, if I left him in the back garden I know I'd spend the day worrying about someone stealing him. At least inside he has a better chance. He has a doggy litter tray too that he's trained to use but he rarely does so he's fine to hold it.

Some people prefer their dog inside, some out. Each to their own. Give your dog a walk in the morning and one in the evening if you can't get anyone to drop in on them during the day and they will be fine inside. You know your own dog, if they seem to have a problem holding it you would know. If not carry on doing what you're doing if you and the dog are happy and you feel more comfortable having them inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

RubyGirl wrote: »
    What age is she op? Mine are in with me all day and rarely need to go for a pee. One of them won't go out first thing in the morning either, wait`s for her walk.

She'll be 2 on the 15th of feb. My boyfriend couldn't get home at lunch time today so she was in from 9 to 5 and wasn't bursting to go when he came home. So i've decided unless the weather is lovely i'm gonna leave her in. One thing i noticed was on the days she was left in the pen she was really hyper when i let her out where as she wasn't when she was left inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

RubyGirl wrote: »

My dog is like that! He goes out in the morning, stretches, sits, looks up at birds, sometimes wanders back in for a cuddle and to see if there's any food he can mooch. You nearly need to tell him to go. Raw fed too, they just don't seem to pee as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

i leave my dog outside from half 9 to 7 most days. she gets a walk in the mornin and one when i come home from work. she has a dog box that she can go into when it rains. i did however leave her on has own in the house while i was at work only cause she was sick and she never went pee

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Flaker

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    She will revert to going to the bathroom inside if she is left in that long or she will develop kidney and bladder issues if she doesn't go at all. Dogs holding it at night when they are asleep is one thing, like ourselves, their bodies are able to hold it (most of the time) but when you are awake and aware of the need to go, life is a lot harder. Vets are seeing this more and more these days with indoor and crated dogs that are not given enough of a chance to go to the bathroom.

Is she a small dog that you can get a dog door for. I know a lot of people don't want to get them for larger dogs due to burglars and the like, but if she is small it could be ideal.

Other than that, your only real option is to leave her out when you are out.

I had a dog door for my dog and it was the best thing ever. He couldn't be left outside as all he did was bark and disturb the neighbours. It only took me a few days to train him to use it and he was an old dog with one eye to boot. I never had to worry about him weeing in the house and he could potter in and out as he chose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Flaker wrote: »
    I had a dog door for my dog and it was the best thing ever. He couldn't be left outside as all he did was bark and disturb the neighbours. It only took me a few days to train him to use it and he was an old dog with one eye to boot. I never had to worry about him weeing in the house and he could potter in and out as he chose.

Exactly, if it is your own house, or a landlord with no problem with you getting it, then it is the ideal solution, warm sunny days, catch a few rays outside, wet and windy, inside warm and snug, everyone's a winner. But as I said, if it is a larger dog, Rottie/German Shep/Lab I can see why some would be reluctant to put one in, if they can fir, a human can. Even with the electronic collars all you have to do is get the collar off the dog and go close to the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Saw on fb today there was a dog beaten to death in its own backgarden.Owner was only gone a while :((((Id rather they peed on the floor inside than risk something happen to them outside.They could be robbed,escape or even worse :((((((.I know things are very tight for alot of people and doggie daycare centres can be expensive but there are people who mind dogs in their homes.Kinda like difference between creches and childminders :) and Im not comparing dogs to children hehehe

• Advertisement
Advertisement