Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Year of Rain in the West

Options
  • 30-01-2013 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering has anyone any statistics regarding the Days of Rainfall since March 2012. I work outdoors in the West of ireland, near westport and it appears that we have had practically no dry weeks since last March. The ground is completely super saturated all the time, septic tanks are overflowing etc. It seems unprecedented. Even as I write there is a river flowing past my door. Is this a sign of the years ahead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Not just the west I am in Tipperary and never saw a period like this since Mar/April 2012. There was a short heat wave in may and maybe a week of pleasant weather in September but we had no period of dry weather at all beyond 3 or 4 days. And then they tell us it was an average year for rainfall.
    Well maybe it was. Looking back on the year 2012 jan/feb/march were remarkably dry and fine. April/may wet and cold. Jun/July/August exceptionally wet and cold. Sept/oct/nov average typical autumn weather what you would expect. So yes it was an average year witha very bad summer.
    2011 had a great spring and autumn with a poor summer.
    The one constant seems to be the poor summer weather

I hope it's not climate change but there is a bit of an elephant in the room about this, our summers in particular have been very wet for a good while now despite the weather statisticians telling us things are average and not out of the ordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Try the monthly summaries from Met Éireann.

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-weather-reports.asp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement