Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Charges

Options
  • 30-01-2013 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I was an AIB customer up until last year when they introduced their fees and I changed to Ulster Bank. I sent AIB a letter to close both current accounts but to keep my credit card open.

I have not used my credit card in the last few months so didn't need to log on to my AIB. I also forgot all about requesting the accounts to be closed.

I logged in yesterday to check my credit card statement and noticed the two current accounts are still showing and showing an overdrawn amount on each.

When I checked it shows I was charged the government stamp duty and also fees.

I have also found out my branch closed down recently (this could explain why the accounts where never closed).

I'm going to try get in touch with them. Can I call telephone banking to deal with this? Will I be expected to pay the charges on my account?

Both accounts where cleared and inactive since I sent the letter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Telephone banking won't be able to help.

You need to contact the account holding branch (your old branch will have been merged with another). You can ask them to waive the charges, but really, it might be a bit much to blame the branch change and not to think "I should have followed that up". Letters are great, but they're not foolproof.

Advertisement