Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL - Non NGB Exchange

• 30-01-2013 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have recently moved from a capped speed 3mb package (always consistent 2.7mb), to max speed package.

Now I am getting a speeds of just under 7mb for most of the day, BUT in the evenings (7pm-11pm) I am getting much lower speeds (sometimes just above 1mb). Pings seem to fine during this time also.

Is this normal?
    Thanks,
    Keith.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

While not normal the normal pattern is ping goes up and speed goes down if the exchange is severely congested. You say your pings are maintained during the 7-11pm peak. NGB on rural exchanges only means a backhaul upgrade anyway, the ADSL gear is the same but is allowed to move 'up to' 8mbits from 3mbits. This is only possible if the backhaul can take the traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    While not normal the normal pattern is ping goes up and speed goes down if the exchange is severely congested. You say your pings are maintained during the 7-11pm peak. NGB on rural exchanges only means a backhaul upgrade anyway, the ADSL gear is the same but is allowed to move 'up to' 8mbits from 3mbits. This is only possible if the backhaul can take the traffic.

Thanks for the reply Sponge Bob!
    So it's worth following up with my ISP?

It feels like slight throttling going on rather than congestion, as the speeds drop near instantly and stay low for a few hours.

Also, I am within 1 km from the exchange, so signal to noise ratio readings are good also.

Big difference between 2mb and 6mb - general browsing, HD on Netflix etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Can you monitor the pings for a few nights, you know most ISPs have a 'talk to' forum on boards for raising specifics...eg

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=241

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Can you monitor the pings for a few nights, you know most ISPs have a 'talk to' forum on boards for raising specifics...eg

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=241

Thanks again Sponge Bob

The ISP is Sky who in fairness so far have been excellent, but at the end of the day, they are resellers. I'm guessing it will be Eircom they will have to chase if there is an issue.

I just wanted to get some info myself, experience from others etc.
    I don't want to be fobbed off with the "oh it's just congestion" excuse.

Advertisement