Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When a new pair of runners are required?

Options
  • 30-01-2013 11:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I bought a pairs of basic Asics (GT 2160's) just over a year ago. At a guess I would think I've run between 1,100-1,200kms so far.

I've signed up to full marathon in early April and am currently running around 60km a week.

They feel to be in ok condition, no visible defects. I had to put them in the washing machine once as they got destroyed during a trail run before. Not sure if this damaged them?

I was just wondering how much life would be left in them?

If I need to get a fresh pair I'd rather get them sooner rather than later so as they'd be well broken in for the marathon, however I don't want to waste my money if these will do.

Any opinions appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I bought a pairs of basic Asics (GT 2160's) just over a year ago. At a guess I would think I've run between 1,100-1,200kms so far.

I've signed up to full marathon in early April and am currently running around 60km a week.

They feel to be in ok condition, no visible defects. I had to put them in the washing machine once as they got destroyed during a trail run before. Not sure if this damaged them?

I was just wondering how much life would be left in them?

If I need to get a fresh pair I'd rather get them sooner rather than later so as they'd be well broken in for the marathon, however I don't want to waste my money if these will do.

Any opinions appreciated.
    Thanks

Any injuries or niggles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

rom wrote: »
    Any injuries or niggles.

Nope. I've never had to stop running at any stage due to injury since I bought them...have done several half mara's and olympic tri's over course of last summer.

I've never had my gait checked either (stupid I know) but I'm guessing (due to lack of injury) whatever 2160's are, they are correct for my gait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Some people say 500mls, some say 100hrs, most say don't put in the washing machine, others wait until they fall apart.
    There is no doubt that after 1000 kms you will have lost some of the bounce as the mid sole compresses and doesn't return to it's original form.
    There would be no harm in getting a new pair now as you'll have another 200+ kms on them between now and the marathon and if something doesn't feel right you'd be in a tight window to change.
    My advice - get a new pair now and rotate until the marathon (rotating also extends the life).

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Some people say 500mls, some say 100hrs, most say don't put in the washing machine, others wait until they fall apart.
    There is no doubt that after 1000 kms you will have lost some of the bounce as the mid sole compresses and doesn't return to it's original form.
    There would be no harm in getting a new pair now as you'll have another 200+ kms on them between now and the marathon and if something doesn't feel right you'd be in a tight window to change.
    My advice - get a new pair now and rotate until the marathon (rotating also extends the life).

Sound advice, thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

+1 on that!

If you've managed a year and 1,200k's, there's few that would argue that you've got good value out of that pair! (even at Asics prices :pac:)

• Advertisement

wrstan wrote: »
    +1 on that!

If you've managed a year and 1,200k's, there's few that would argue that you've got good value out of that pair! (even at Asics prices :pac:)

They seem grand to run in. I'm sure they've lost alot of bounce but not experienced enough to know how much exactly.

I've been looking at these

http://www.runningshoesguru.com/2012/04/asics-gel-3030-review/

can get them for 90e on amazon or 100e in lifestlye.

Any thoughts?

ebixa82 wrote: »
    They seem grand to run in. I'm sure they've lost alot of bounce but not experienced enough to know how much exactly.

I've been looking at these

http://www.runningshoesguru.com/2012/04/asics-gel-3030-review/

can get them for 90e on amazon or 100e in lifestlye.

Any thoughts?

seem pretty heavy at 12oz for size 9. but I do prefer lighter shoes myself (6 to 9 oz range).

Advertisement