Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builder in Drogheda

Options
  • 30-01-2013 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    I don't have the biggest project in the world to be done; I want to concrete my dog run. Its about 7 meters by 3 meters, but I obviously want it done properly and reasonably priced.
    Can anyone recommend someone trustworthy that would be interested in such a job?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

Short Construction, Boyne Developments (Eugene Judge) or Aidan Thornton in Glenmore Drive Drogheda would all be good.

Campbells in Ballymakenny supply concrete and the filling for underneath, they will advise you on what you need if you want to give it a go yourself or maybe they can recommend someone. Campbells number is 9837777.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

I had a similar job to do last year, 10'x8' dog yard.
    My father-in-law helped me do it, Cambells delieverd concrete @ approx €200
    They're the only local company who'll deliver small loads on a Saturday.

It's relatively easy to do, if you fancied having a stab yourself!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

kormak wrote: »
    I had a similar job to do last year, 10'x8' dog yard.
    My father-in-law helped me do it, Cambells delieverd concrete @ approx €200
    They're the only local company who'll deliver small loads on a Saturday.

It's relatively easy to do, if you fancied having a stab yourself!! :)

Gona do mine as soon as the weather improves. Are Campbells local and was the concrete delivered ready to pour ? do they have website or add in the leader

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

everlast, you need to excavate to a required level to firm ground make up with clause 803/4 and compact set up your screeds to falls etc, @120mm depth it will take 2.5m3 of ready mixed concrete 10mm aggregate with extra sand 30N strength, for extra strength you can get fibres included or steel mesh.
    You need anything else PM me.

Carra23 wrote: »
    Gona do mine as soon as the weather improves. Are Campbells local and was the concrete delivered ready to pour ? do they have website or add in the leader

0419837777 is the number. Cambells are based in Ballymakenny. Concrete will be delivered ready to pour.
    Make sure you can have it dumped as near as possible to where your dog yard is. Or better still into the area! You don't wanna be wheelbarrowing several loads of concrete like I had to... :rolleyes: must'ave lost 1000 calories that day!
    Have your frame in place, screed ready and float, edging tool, etc...
    You can throw reinforced steel bars in but if it's only a dog yard, 3/4" of concrete should more than enough.

• Advertisement

0419837777 is the number. Cambells are based in Ballymakenny. Concrete will be delivered ready to pour.
    Make sure you can have it dumped as near as possible to where your dog yard is. Or better still into the area! You don't wanna be wheelbarrowing several loads of concrete like I had to... :rolleyes: must'ave lost 1000 calories that day!
    You can throw reinforced steel bars in but if it's only a dog yard, 3/4" of concrete should more than enough.

3/4" of concrete is not enough it will be cracked within 3 hrs, you will need a minimum of 100mm (4")
    Sorry Kormak, maybe you mean't 3"to 4" of concrete!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

macadam wrote: »
    3/4" of concrete is not enough it will be cracked within 3 hrs, you will need a minimum of 100mm (4")

Cheers lads. Hopefully give it a bash around March. If that goes well might attempt DIY block built shed/workshop

macadam wrote: »

Ha! yeah that was meant to read 3 to 4" of concrete!
    3/4 of an inch might be a bit stingy alright... lol
    If there's just a dog going on it, it should be enough without reinforced bars.
    Make sure you get your levels right. I had to pour almost 5" of concrete in places as it was deeper than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Got the quote back - 4200e!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Said he'd have to dig down 8 inches, 7 tonne of stones, 2 days labour, 900e for the concrete, digger involved and skip.

everlast75 wrote: »

Said he'd have to dig down 8 inches, 7 tonne of stones, 2 days labour, 900e for the concrete, digger involved and skip.

Whaaaaaa??!!
    Holy sh!t... tell that guy to sling his hook!
    8 inches for what? what sort of dog do you have? an elephant??
    I dug out the area + built all the frames myself, took 1 day.
    Then another day for fill/set all the concrete.
    My father-in-law done most of the screeding/finishing and I did a bit + plus all the lugging.

Sorry, can't currently offer the services of my pops-in-law.
    He's out of action for 12 weeks and lives the other side of the country. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 messisondope

If you don't fancy trying the job yourself I would suggest giving shortt construction a call, you can find their number in the Drogheda leader. I'm sure they will give you a decent price and a job well done
    Hey,
    I don't have the biggest project in the world to be done; I want to concrete my dog run. Its about 7 meters by 3 meters, but I obviously want it done properly and reasonably priced.
    Can anyone recommend someone trustworthy that would be interested in such a job?
    Thanks.

Someone is taking The Pi$$....
    Who gave you that quote, thats mental!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

jesus i would tackle that myself for that price. nice job for you ken.;)

Advertisement