Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great deal going on Tattoo's at the mo in Tiger Tattoo

Options
  • 30-01-2013 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

New to this forum but I've a couple of tattoo's. Just decided to get an additional one when my friend linked me to this deal over in Tiger Tattoo studios (Anyone been?).

The deal is:
    €49 gets you €99 worth.
    €99 gets you €250 worth.
    €250 gets you €600.

Here's the link for the deal:
    https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/544078?ref=conf-jp&rpi=102830282

Seemed pretty good to me so I just snapped up the second offer.

Just thought I'd share here for anyone interested.

Just wondering also, has anyone got a job done here before/ got any feedback on the studio?

The

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Good deal, but judging by their facebook the work seems to be a bit hit and miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I think they would have to pay me going by the gallery on Fb.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I've seen some small pieces from there that have turned out well - pity they haven't updated the gallery before the offer went out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Going by their gallery, I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

Tbh, if they're doing badly enough that they're offering hugely discounted rates just to get some business, I wouldn't go based on that alone.

Look at the likes of Skin City, Zulu, Colourworks, etc. They never do these deals (AFAIK) because they're always busy. That's the sign that they're good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Yeah, if a studio has to use deals its either a sign of them

1- Being a brand new studio with no reputation whatsoever
    2- Having a pretty poor reputation

Deals can be good if you're buying coffee or a holiday but I wouldn't go near them for a tattoo.

• Advertisement

Hmm deals like this might also make me want to reconsider getting inked there:
    1UTcE

Nothing wrong with republican artwork etc but just somewhere that touts for that sort of business would make me feel iffy (as in its an easy genre to tattoo)

Snakebite did one of those vouchers before and they're definitely one of the better studios in the city. But yeah would agree that most of these offers come from poorer quality studios.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

it is a good deal , but looking at their work , i have seen scratchers knock out better tats tbh

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

P_1 wrote: »
    Hmm deals like this might also make me want to reconsider getting inked there:

Nothing wrong with republican artwork etc but just somewhere that touts for that sort of business would make me feel iffy (as in its an easy genre to tattoo)

I dont really see anything wrong with using one special day for special offers.It wouldnt put me off a studio--it depends on the skills of the artist which is all I (and anyone else for that matter should) look for.

Ive been in there and the place is spotless and I dont see anything wrong with their artwork.FB photos look crap but in their shop the book of their artwork looks quite decent.

Plenty of artists offer one day specials including a lot of the bigger studios not so much over here but in the states.

For example its not uncommon to get a "13" done on Friday the 13th for 13 dollars.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

P_1 wrote: »
    Yeah, if a studio has to use deals its either a sign of them

1- Being a brand new studio with no reputation whatsoever
    2- Having a pretty poor reputation

Deals can be good if you're buying coffee or a holiday but I wouldn't go near them for a tattoo.

Have to disagree with this 100%

Price should never be an issue with looking for an artist.Ive discussed this before and Ive seen artists that charge 40-50 an hour as good as an artist that charges 100+ per hour.

Being a new shop shouldnt put anyone off.If a new shop is trying to establish itself on price (and their artwork is excellent) especially in the current clmate then Id have no problems using them.

• Advertisement

Going by the fb page they have been going for a couple of years,if that's the case and those pics are the best they can come up with I would rather spend more money somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

dinorebel wrote: »
    Going by the fb page they have been going for a couple of years,if that's the case and those pics are the best they can come up with I would rather spend more money somewhere else.

Couple of posts above yours:
    Hellrazer wrote: »
    Ive been in there and the place is spotless and I dont see anything wrong with their artwork.FB photos look crap but in their shop the book of their artwork looks quite decent.

Couple of posts above yours:
    I know what you're saying but the 1st way most of us see anything these days is online and based on that this place just doesn't cut it IMO.

Yeah I agree that it's really dumb not having updated their facebook. Updating portfolios once a week and making the odd status takes a minute and it's probably the best form of advertising. Shops like Skin city, White dragon, snakebite, Galway bay and Dublin Ink don't even pay for their statuses to be sponsored or whatever and yet they're constantly in my facebook feed, which I see basically every day.

Yeah I agree that it's really dumb not having updated their facebook. Updating portfolios once a week and making the odd status takes a minute and it's probably the best form of advertising. Shops like Skin city, White dragon, snakebite, Galway bay and Dublin Ink don't even pay for their statuses to be sponsored or whatever and yet they're constantly in my facebook feed, which I see basically every day.
    I'm in Donegal and was looking for a shop in Dublin to do a sleeve for me and fb was the handiest way to look and compare galleries.To not have a good online presence is fatal these days.

While I can accept Hellrazer saying that the artwork in their books in-store is good, that unfortunately isn't what most people will go by.

When I go for a tattoo, I google their websites and facebook pages, and look at what they have online. I don't have time to go trawling through every single tattoo shop in Dublin to find what I want. Instead, I'll google, find one or two places that suit what style I want, and go in to the few places I find.

Most people do go by what they see on the internet, as it's a fast, easy way, less time-consuming way of doing your research. So, while they might be great, the Facebook pictures obviously don't do their artists any justice.

Buying vouchers on Groupon is a timed thing, too. Generally, if you have a deal up that you're interested in, you won't really have enough time to get a day where you're not working, go into the store and look at the artwork, then come home and buy the voucher. I'd imagine almost everyone buying the vouchers googled the place rather than going in-store, because of time restrictions.

That said, if they were to update their Facebook by removing the not-so-good work, and uploading some really good work, I'm sure many of us would have bought vouchers. Pity, 'cause I need a new tattoo. :pac:

Yeah I get your point Hellrazer, as others have said though, going by what they have on their FB I wouldn't be inclined to go there. Now they might have great looking photos in their studio or on some other website but that isn't easy to find and I'm a lazy basteard, so seeing that other studios have their Facebooks updated and have easy links to their websites I'd be inclined to go with the other studios.

TL;DR version: great idea for marketing, shame about the execution.

A shop might have some great pictures on their sites and FB pages but when you actually go in the place may be filthy,a kip or whatever.....

They may even be using someone elses artwork.

The point :

Id never get a tattoo based on someones online presence only unless they were a world renowned artist.Id have to see the shop and make sure its clean and hygenic and then check out their in store portfolios.

Yeah their online presence might draw you to "consider" their place but you still have to visit it to check their credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

A shop might have some great pictures on their sites and FB pages but when you actually go in the place may be filthy,a kip or whatever.....

They may even be using someone elses artwork.

The point :

Id never get a tattoo based on someones online presence only unless they were a world renowned artist.Id have to see the shop and make sure its clean and hygenic and then check out their in store portfolios.

Yeah their online presence might draw you to "consider" their place but you still have to visit it to check their credentials.

While I do get what your saying for me its the online portfolio that draws me in to check the studio out in the first place, ill have a look for in store portfolios after along with how clean and hygienic it was. But if I checked online and saw bad portfolios I personally would never even bother checking out the studio.

For one it shows laziness on there part by not doing simple updates and that doesn't bode well on the studio straight away.

Of course you're still gonna look at the portfolios once you get into the shop, but if I hadn't read on here that in fact it is a good shop and the portfolios are solid, I'd never bother walking in because of what's on their facebook.

• Advertisement

Of course you're still gonna look at the portfolios once you get into the shop, but if I hadn't read on here that in fact it is a good shop and the portfolios are solid, I'd never bother walking in because of what's on their facebook.

I get what you and Marty are saying but Im starting to feel for want of a better word "sorry" for some shops that just because they are new are getting hammered by some users here when they havent even been in that shop and know nothing about it.

What happens if someone comes here and slates a shop because they fell out with them??It has happened.We had a disgruntled former employee of a shop here post everything bad under the sun about this shop but the shop was 100% genuine and reputable.

Those posts could have destroyed that shops business.

The same with this thread....How many of you have actually visited this shop??

I have (I work less than 5 minutes from it) and from what I can see its genuine and reputable.Ive also visited the subject of another thread here and that one seems reputable but just because they arent "insert well known shop name here" they get hammered.

These new lads need a break as long as they are doing everything by the book and are clean,hygenic and put good work out there.

I get what you and Marty are saying but Im starting to feel for want of a better word "sorry" for some shops that just because they are new are getting hammered by some users here when they havent even been in that shop and know nothing about it.

What happens if someone comes here and slates a shop because they fell out with them??It has happened.We had a disgruntled former employee of a shop here post everything bad under the sun about this shop but the shop was 100% genuine and reputable.

I have (I work less than 5 minutes from it) and from what I can see its genuine and reputable.Ive also visited the subject of another thread here and that one seems reputable but just because they arent "insert well known shop name here" they get hammered.

These new lads need a break as long as they are doing everything by the book and are clean,hygenic and put good work out there.

But is saying you don't agree with a shop's marketing tactics, or saying you really don't like their artwork from their Facebook page anywhere near the lines of having a former employee slate a place with lies?

I don't see why you should have to visit a shop to form an opinion on it. I have never visited a shop which I shall not name, but I absolutely never will because of the message I received from one of their artists. I have a very low opinion of them as a result. What I saw on Facebook, combined with my interaction with said artist was enough to turn me off.

Personal opinions are what we're all offering here. None of us are saying our opinions are fact. We're talking about how we, the posters, personally think/feel judging from what we've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

In fairness if you read through the V tattoo groupon thread its not people slating them because of there online portfolio there a few people in there who have visited the studio who have told of there experience in there, so they were given a chance by quite a few it would seem;).

These new lads do need a break but also need to realize the internet is a powerful tool these days it can make or break a business not only in the tattoo industry.

When they set up a facebook page upload shoddy to average work at best of coarse people will judge them on it, if they dont want people to judge them on it they shouldn't set up a facebook page. Its the first port of call for many when selecting a studio they should operate that as professionally as they do there studio they wouldn't have a problem.

There in a competitive market were everything needs to be done professionally and to high standards to bring in business, they dont have to be a well named shop at all to get my business but I do need to be drawn in and believe in there studio like anything else it how you market yourself regardless big, small new or old studio.

Advertisement