Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving notice period

Options
  • 30-01-2013 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I've gotten a new job and on monday told the director who is the only one in the office at the moment, and gave him two weeks notice, which he accepted. He has now, two days later, turned around and said that I need to give a month's notice, the managing director said this to him, as it's in my contract. I have already told my new job that I can work in two weeks because that's what was agreed upon on Monday. Do I need to work for a month or can I leave after two weeks? I don't know what my rights are in this situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

How long have you been working with the company you are leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 geraghty629

I started there with the internship scheme for 9 months, so I've only been an employee since April last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'd have thought the fact that the director actually accepted your notice would work in your favour but if the requirement of a month's notice is in your contract - and you signed the contract - then that's that, it would seem.

The best thing you can do in this situation is contact the new employer, let them know of the change, and hope that they're still willing to take you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Check contract but if nothing in it then the below may apply:

Statutory minimum notice

If you do not have a provision in your contract of employment dealing with notice, the statutory minimum notice of one week will apply and this is the notice that you should give your employer of your intention to leave. The statutory minimum notice of one week, is set down in Section 6 of the Minimum Notice and Terms of Employment Act, 1973

TBH they are unlikely to pursue you if you leave before your contract says you should. You may not be able to use them as a reference in the future but since you already have another job lined up maybe that isnt an issue?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Well if your new employer won't wait, you could potentially end up with no job. So it's important to check with them first. It's not as if the older employer is going to sue you or anything. New job is your priority.

• Advertisement
Advertisement