Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commerce - NUIG

Options
  • 30-01-2013 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I'm in 3rd year engineering but I'm seriously considering dropping out and doing Commerce but I didn't do any of the Business subjects for my LC and I know the main reason I struggled with Engineering is because I didn't do physics (and didn't really work until well into 2nd year), so I was just wondering is it vital to have done accounting/Economics or business study's for Commerce?

Also what's the course like if any one's done it, hours, work, projects etc, as I might need a part time job with no grant.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭isilidur1980

D091 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm in 3rd year engineering but I'm seriously considering dropping out and doing Commerce but I didn't do any of the Business subjects for my LC and I know the main reason I struggled with Engineering is because I didn't do physics (and didn't really work until well into 2nd year), so I was just wondering is it vital to have done accounting/Economics or business study's for Commerce?

Also what's the course like if any one's done it, hours, work, projects etc, as I might need a part time job with no grant.

No it is not vital to have done accounting or economics in leaving certificate. The accounting module in commerce is taught from a point of view that no-one has any knowledge of the subject. Economics also starts from beginner level.
    Different modules have different time requirements. Usually there is a weekly assignment to complete in the economics and maths modules. The MIS module does include a team project which is time-consuming, however as you have experience with projects,etc you will find it easier. It was the first real team work project any of the first years have and therefore it was difficult. Like I said, you should be OK with it.
    Marketing also consists of online weekly assignments. Business Law is time consuming. Lectures basically consist of non-stop writing and these notes should be expanded upon by more reading. It is an interesting subject though. The Maths and Stats module is pretty basic stuff. Coming from an engineering background, this won't be too difficult. Basic maths being applied to business problems is all.
    Accounting is OK. There is weekly tutorials alongside the lectures and these are vital to see the problems being worked through. There is also a slot where if you are having difficulties, you can go for one-to-one tuition.
    They have introduced a new module this year called Skills to Succeed. It can be time-consuming and if I'm honest, it adds little value to a commerce degree. To facilitate this, they carved up Business Law into 1 and 2 and now one of these or another module further on in the course will have to be sacrificed. I might be wrong but you will probably be in the majority and find this module complete nonsense too.
    The weekly assignments in the different modules are not too difficult and they do add up to about 30% of the module marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭markg86

strongly advise you to just finish your engineering degree if you feel you can stick it. nothing really you wont be able to do with it that you could with a commerce degree. you could do a Hdip in business when your finished engineering if you wanted. that way you wont have to pay any fees and will get your grant, and will have a better qualification.

if you change to commerce youl have to pay 3 years fees thats 15k+ along with no grant for 3 years.. plus the extra years of your time.

currently final year commerce myself, finally starting to enjoy it and know what i want to do, the course is a walk in the park to be honest. I only attended tutorials last year and got a first, lectures for most modules will bore you to death and seem pointless. all notes are on BB.

Saying that, if you feel you cant stick the engineering and money isnt an issue then go for it. the course is very manageable and will open doors for you. I did a year of electronic engineering in nui before switching to commerce myself. Just seem like once you reach 3rd year your too pot committed :D

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mairead14

hey,
    I'm really interested in doing this new course, Commerce agus Gaeilge next year. Commerce would probably be my second option. But I'm just wondering what the maths and accountant content of the course are like? I don't do accountant for the LC. I wouldn't be the worst at it but I still not great. Can anyone help me out? Would I be better off doing a Buiness and Irish course in an IT. Also does anybody know if I can go on to do teaching after it?

Advertisement