Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which bike did you enjoy owning most?.

• 30-01-2013 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

I've had everything from old RD's & DT's to Gixers and CBRThou's to my present bike, a BMW R1100S.

My long lost love of them all was my 2001 Vespa PX200E which I bought from Scooter Island brand new :D

Long story cut short, I'd returned from Lebanon with a wad of money and went into the city to look at an R1 and rode home with the Vespa.

What was the love of your life, where is she now and do you still hanker after her?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

k3 gsxr 600. longest thing iv owned 4-5 years. love it. want to upgrade but dont want to sell it either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

I've had over fifty and the most enjoyed was a gsxr 1100. Best tool deauville.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

My 996 did/does it for me.

Loved my R1,loved my kitted out SP1,loved my 2 Aprillia RS250s,even loved my GSXR 750 SRAD.

But for shear grin factor,it was and is the Ducati 996....hands down.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

My old RD, broke my heart several times but still smile every time I think about it.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I loved loads of them at the time but looking now the best bike I have ever owned by an absolute mile is the KTM 950SM I will hopefully be selling on Saturday. It has provided the most fun - can do the quick stuff I need nowadays unless you are up over 100mph all the time and is possibly the best bike ever for random backroad messing and just floating around.

Lucky I'm replacing it with another one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

My 748r I restored (mostly cosmetic - no grinding valve seats or anything)

numberboards, carbon fibre, see through clutch cover for extra rattling and full termi system so it growls/whines like thunder

i still have it, I would never let the love of my life go willingly.

Its the sound and vibration in such a beautiful package that does it for me.

The only thing I ever heard sounding better was an sp2 with sato cans which sold for a ridiculously low price of 3k euro at an auction years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My GT250 X7, great handling simple to work on and best of all that fantastic 2 stroke smell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

CJhaughey wrote: »
    My GT250 X7, great handling simple to work on and best of all that fantastic 2 stroke smell!

A mate had one, and I almost bought one in 1988 but I opted for an RD or DT instead, can't remember which came first.

The DT's were great for working on, a 10, 12 and 14mm socket set and you'd do almost anything on it in an evening :D

Oh sorry, the X7 was a lovely bike and great sound from the air cooled 2 stroke twin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

My XJR 1300 ,i was rear ended on her by a little **** of a boy racer ,i miss her best bike i ever had:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

My ZX7R.........i missed her so much i bought another one....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Had a few then I had a 15yr old Heinkel Tourist, 5 year trouble free motoring, then I got a car (kids), the guy I sold the heinkel to wrote it off within 3 months. A sad end to a great machine, thanks terry cowley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

The one I miss the most of all is my Laverda Jota that I owned from 79 to 83. Best bike I ever owned? Pan European without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'll keep my '01 GSX1400 forever. No point trading up because the colour schemes just got worse as time went on, IMO. I've had it four and a half years which is far longer than any other vehicle I've owned. I've had other, much different bikes and I've enjoyed them coming and going and moving onto the next but the 14 is a permanent fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

has to be my montesa 315, wheelies on the throttle in third, will climb the side of a house if i want it to, smells like a proper 2 stroke, weighs nothing, flatters me every time i ride it, best 900euro i ever spent:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

ZXR750 1992, beautiful looking bike, loved the colour scheme and twin headlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Best bike ever and I still have it. If I had pick between my Honda pan st1100 or kawasaki .gt550.....gt550 any day. Still doing it up, paint work.new bolts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭soccerbreaker

I've had everything from old RD's & DT's to Gixers and CBRThou's to my present bike, a BMW R1100S.

My long lost love of them all was my 2001 Vespa PX200E which I bought from Scooter Island brand new :D

Long story cut short, I'd returned from Lebanon with a wad of money and went into the city to look at an R1 and rode home with the Vespa.

What was the love of your life, where is she now and do you still hanker after her?.
    BMW S1000 RR is the best bike within the 1200 cc range

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

loved em all, and still have most of them but I want to be buried with my rebel 125..its like a small dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

A mate had one, and I almost bought one in 1988 but I opted for an RD or DT instead, can't remember which came first.

The DT's were great for working on, a 10, 12 and 14mm socket set and you'd do almost anything on it in an evening :D

Oh sorry, the X7 was a lovely bike and great sound from the air cooled 2 stroke twin :)
    I had the DT's competition brother the IT175J, had a PE400 for a while but it wasn't really as much fun as the IT.
    I had way more fun on two strokes on and off road over the years than with 4 bangers.
    Not sure why but probably just the way that they need to be ridden to get the most out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Performance wise yes, but I wouldn't have one as I didn't really like it that much. Fastest on a track doesn't necessarily mean best for what you are using it for or the most fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Quebec Delta Mike

After a drunken p**ck ran me off my CD175, in Dundalk town back in 1976, I bought a brand new CB400F, in red from Mountjoy MCs. I can still remember the first time I saw it, rode it home, it was love at first sight.
    I kept her for about two years, and rode her like a demon all over Ireland doing every rally I could, Way West, Harp etc...then took her to the south of France and back. I was only 19 at the time, boy what an adventure.
    I have had many better and more versatile machines since then, but the 400F sticks in my memory most of all. Don't know where she is now, probably long gone to the scrap yard in the sky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I've only had 4 bikes, but my current one (ZX9) is my favourite. Well, it was until her untimely death on Wednesday September 12th @ 5.50pm. :(

I should (all going well) have her rebuilt by March/April and she'll be better than ever. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Ha!

Current bike is my favourite :D

2012-09-05135403.jpg

I also have a CB400 which is hard to fault but looks like crap after 19 years on the go. I had a CBR250 which was my favourite until a fella wrote it off, it's hard to look at it the same way now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CJhaughey wrote: »

I had an SB200, and then an X7. My X7 was a dog, bought from 'Galway Wheels' back in the '80s...........when I went to England I sold my x7 and bought a 'big' bike - GSX400F - loved it, went everywhere on it.

Later bikes I've owned, and still do are the successor to the X7: my 1989 Suzuki RGV250K - I have it.........22 years now !! My Vespa PX125 I've owned for 20 years - you just gotta love two-strokes !

As for most under-rated bike: it's my current daily ride: Harley Road King Classic. It out BMWs any BMW I've had !!!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Only a newb, 2 bikes, sv650s and fzs600.

Still miss the SV, always had a smile on my face or an omg wtf look from driving. Fun is what it was.

Hence the hankering for a TLR...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭GBX

My current bike ...VFR800 fi model ... Love it compared to the Fazer I had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,406 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

galwaytt wrote: »
    Later bikes I've owned, and still do are the successor to the X7: my 1989 Suzuki RGV250K - I have it.........22 years now !!

My first bike memories were what I saw weekly on the 'better off than us' road on the way to Sunday mass - there was I think a Honda CB750, and definitely a Bonneville 750... I thought the Bonnie was better :pac:

I remember when RD350YPVSs were the thing - didn't ride myself then and had complete and total lack of income, but they sure looked impressive chained to the college railings.

RGVs were just sexual in the early 90s - the last time I saw one parked up on the street was well over ten years ago, but it was a 'drop everything, and get over here and look at this' moment.

When I had the inclination and cash to actually ride a bike, there was the usual huge gap between what I could licence, what I could insure, and what I could afford... but I knew from day one I wanted a CBR600. I got a GP100.

Three years later to the day I was riding off on a brand new black and silver CBR600F-W (F3) and boy did that feel good... I ended up doing 60,000 miles from new on that bike and it took me all over Ireland, most of the UK, several tours to France, Germany, Italy, Spain.. fantastic bike. Although in typical Honda fashion it was 100% reliable up to a point, and then it all wore out at the same time. I still miss it though. Great fun once you kept her spinning...

Then I got a GPz900R which was great too. Still have it and it's a restoration project someday.

Then got a Triumph Sprint ST which I still have - great bike. Goes like a *********** at the top end but has tons more low down shove than my old CBR.

Scrap the cap!

batman_oh wrote: »
    Performance wise yes, but I wouldn't have one as I didn't really like it that much. Fastest on a track doesn't necessarily mean best for what you are using it for or the most fun
    after s1000 rr I will choose Ducati 1199 panigale s

Ha!

Current bike is my favourite :D

2012-09-05135403.jpg

I also have a CB400 which is hard to fault but looks like crap after 19 years on the go. I had a CBR250 which was my favourite until a fella wrote it off, it's hard to look at it the same way now.
    I don't like naked bikes, i love only sports bikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

The best is the honda 50, you could not get a better ride when you parked it up, and no matter what condition you were in it knew its way home. 1957 model.

Advertisement