Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which bike did you enjoy owning most?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 craiglucas

1979 BMW R100/7. Comfortable and reliable, rode it all over the UK when I lived there. Only sold it when they did away with 4star petrol as the old BM's needed a head replacement to run on unleaded. The '87 K75 I had after was nice, and so was the '91 R850. But they never compared with the character of the oldie. I loved the side to side shake as you reved the boxer engine, and the torque reaction which lifted the seat as you pulled away. Always missed the R100/7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

after s1000 rr I will choose Ducati 1199 panigale s

Funnily I dont want either. For the price of a Panigale S you could have 4-5 different bikes giving you all different types of fun. In my own case the one thing that spending a few years upgrading to the latest and greatest litre bike has though me is that, it's all nonsense and it doesn't result in you having more fun. Fun on the road (and even track) has nothing to do with having the fastest sportsbike out there. In many cases they plainly bore me now on the road as they are dead unless you are doing 100mph plus and going mental everywhere. They simply don't work well at low speeds.

Plus you would have far more fun on track on a 2006 R6 racebike costing 4k than you would on either as you would be afraid to crash them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

after s1000 rr I will choose Ducati 1199 panigale s
    This is about the bike you enjoyed owning most, not what you think would be your dream machine.
    Huge performance doesn't equal enjoyment as the wide variety of bikes cited already shows.
    Old bikes are often more involving to own in terms of character and fun, new bikes are often refined to the point of soullessness IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well only have my 09 FZ6 which I love and cannot fault. It does everything well.....If I could have any bike in the morning it would be the 2013 Daytona 675R for fun or a VFR1200 for everyday life, Love the looks of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

The VFR 1200 is quiet krap for everyday use if you are going to use it in town.
    Anything under 50 km/h, and you are stuck in first gear. Only occasionaly getting into second gear.

I had a lone of a Honda 'Crossover' - the one with the VFR 800 engine. Great bike for around town. Upright riding position, narrow bike, and easy to manover in tight spaces. Still not my ideal bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Fazer 1000 I sold before christmas and still miss it.It did everything I wanted.All the usual stuff but the sheer drive it gave out of corners was where it shined,keep it singing and the fun never stopped.

The bike I have now is as dead as a door nail compared to it.

P.C. wrote: »
    The VFR 1200 is quiet krap for everyday use if you are going to use it in town.
    Anything under 50 km/h, and you are stuck in first gear. Only occasionaly getting into second gear.

I had a lone of a Honda 'Crossover' - the one with the VFR 800 engine. Great bike for around town. Upright riding position, narrow bike, and easy to manover in tight spaces. Still not my ideal bike.

Depends what everyday life you have, I would not be around town much at all. I use my bike purely for pleasure and long trips so it would not be a problem. It would be the same for any large cc sports tourer not just the VFR1200.

I know it has a few cons like a very small tank etc but I love the look of it.

Fazer 1000 I sold before christmas and still miss it.It did everything I wanted.All the usual stuff but the sheer drive it gave out of corners was where it shined,keep it singing and the fun never stopped.

The bike I have now is as dead as a door nail compared to it.

I would imagine so TBH, I have an FZ6 and would love a rip on a Fazer 1000 to compare it with. They are meant to be very fast when tricked out right.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Xaime

I miss my 1985 Puch Cobra (2 stroke). It was a dirt bike. The sound of the engine. I remember I used to have to put the oil from the can into the petrol tank and shake the bike sideways for it to mix well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Probably my Honda Firestorm, so much so that I hope to buy another in a few months.

There's just something about a large Vtwin engine in a sports bike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Yamaha R6 2000 model, I creamed myself just looking at it.

Had an R1 afterwards, looked sexy as hell but it was to skittish!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭soccerbreaker

batman_oh wrote: »
    Funnily I dont want either. For the price of a Panigale S you could have 4-5 different bikes giving you all different types of fun. In my own case the one thing that spending a few years upgrading to the latest and greatest litre bike has though me is that, it's all nonsense and it doesn't result in you having more fun. Fun on the road (and even track) has nothing to do with having the fastest sportsbike out there. In many cases they plainly bore me now on the road as they are dead unless you are doing 100mph plus and going mental everywhere. They simply don't work well at low speeds.

Plus you would have far more fun on track on a 2006 R6 racebike costing 4k than you would on either as you would be afraid to crash them!
    Right on your sense. But I love ducati specially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

My G model Gixer 11, granted the engine braking was stronger than the front brakes, the fork seals lasted about 15 minutes, the clutch was so heavy that my left forearm looked like I stole it from Popeye and any corner was a full body commitment!

But once you got up to cruising speed that bike felt like it was thought controlled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Steve.N

Have to say of all the bikes I've owned my 1998 R6 still brings smiles when looking at old pics. It was in the 1st batch of R6s delivered in Scotland and was one of the 1st on the road. She scratched, toured and blew much bigger bikes away until someone stole it just over 1yr later - also in those days I fitted comfortably into a one piece Dainese race suit (defo no chance now!!). I completed my 1k run in period in 2days as I lived on it! I then had put 18k in 12mnths on the clock before it was stolen - had an arse of steel in those days :-D.
    My old 1983 RD350lC also brings back memories of blasting around in the pre-speed camera era acting like a loon with no idea of what protective clothing was - I thought a pair of jeans and my baseball boots were the dogs nutz together with my leather jacket covered in studs. We all had the habit of buzzing cars at night with our lights out on the country roads of my home town Glasgow - feckin mental when I look back now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Depends what everyday life you have, I would not be around town much at all. I use my bike purely for pleasure and long trips so it would not be a problem. It would be the same for any large cc sports tourer not just the VFR1200.

I know it has a few cons like a very small tank etc but I love the look of it.

Give it time ..... we both know a counter argument is on the way! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

craiglucas wrote: »
    1979 BMW R100/7. Comfortable and reliable, rode it all over the UK when I lived there. Only sold it when they did away with 4star petrol as the old BM's needed a head replacement to run on unleaded. The '87 K75 I had after was nice, and so was the '91 R850. But they never compared with the character of the oldie. I loved the side to side shake as you reved the boxer engine, and the torque reaction which lifted the seat as you pulled away. Always missed the R100/7

i have an immaculate r100 only 23k red metallic over silver its the t model so came with krauser panniers. still has bmw hand pump, handbook, and lock under tank! heres a pic of it....

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I would imagine so TBH, I have an FZ6 and would love a rip on a Fazer 1000 to compare it with. They are meant to be very fast when tricked out right.

great bikes, i am on my fifth one!....this is it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Fatbast ~ WOW!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Would be split between my first bike ever, way back in the eighties, a Kawasaki KC100 and my Harris Magnum II. The KC thought me so much about biking and the Harris because it is such a buzz riding a bike that you have literally built from the ground up by yourself.

Although I have enjoyed all my bikes these two stand out in most my memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭allroad

Honda 50, KH125, Z200, KH250 (3), MZ150, GPZ550, CB750, Z1 and now a GSX250.
    Loved all of them, but the Z200 and my first KH250 stand out from the rest. The Z200 never gave me any trouble at all. It was perfect for my needs, civilised and predictable.
    The KH250 was always in bother. Starting problems, stopping problems, seizing the middle cylinder every other week but the bike I miss the most. Beautiful bike.
    Still have a frame and engine (seized) left over from the last one, which I rebuilt from a couple of non runners. Haven't been able to get enough bits to build another one. I live in hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

My r125 is the bike of my dreams and I love it more than anything else I own, BUT, i'll never forget the days I spent gunning around on my little pw80. Only a little child but there was nothing like it! (at the time of course. Not sure it would do much for me now :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Hi all, newb to the site but have had a lot of bikes down the years, the one which gave me the most frights is a Kawasaki H1a 3 cylinder 500 cc two stroke which i still have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,406 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pics or GTFO

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hi all, newb to the site but have had a lot of bikes down the years, the one which gave me the most frights is a Kawasaki H1a 3 cylinder 500 cc two stroke which i still have.

I'd a mate, Des Sheilds (RIP) who had a few.

Any photos?.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 craiglucas

fatbast wrote: »
    i have an immaculate r100 only 23k red metallic over silver its the t model so came with krauser panniers. still has bmw hand pump, handbook, and lock under tank! heres a pic of it....
    she's a beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

Iv mostly had vespas but I love the one I have now the most. T5 mk1. 5 transfers instead of the usual 3 and revs up to the ceiling. polini kit on it for more torque and a micron for pipe for higher revs and noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I've had 4 Suzukis since 1995. AX 100, GN 125, GSX 400 and my current one a GSF 650. The GSF is my favourite so far coz I've always wanted to own a Bandit. I have it 6 years now and I've no intention of selling it. I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I've had 4 Suzukis since 1995. AX 100, GN 125, GSX 400 and my current one a GSF 650. The GSF is my favourite so far coz I've always wanted to own a Bandit. I have it 6 years now and I've no intention of selling it. I love it.

Which GSX400 was it. Had a 400F back in the late 80's early 90's. Broke both my wrists my knee and my shoulder in an argument with a 4WD tractor :( great bike though, first bike I ever broke 100mph on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

definitely vespa PX ive had a few but my current 200 wont be leaving me for a while

second most memorable is my old tdr 125, first bike where you had to change gear with yer foot :pac: little rocket i thought, have a cb500 now and always hanker after another tdr

560053_10151293211858613_1196468675_n.jpg

the px is hand rolled with hammerite(by me), looks smashin:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Which GSX400 was it. Had a 400F back in the late 80's early 90's. Broke both my wrists my knee and my shoulder in an argument with a 4WD tractor :( great bike though, first bike I ever broke 100mph on :D

It was an Inazuma, a baby bandit they were known as. I think it was an import. Seriously fast bike! She got robbed from outside work in 2007. Eventually got her back but by then I had found and fallen in love with the GSF.

Advertisement