Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow Town

• 30-01-2013 12:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7

Hi all,
    Hoping for some opinions on living in Wicklow town.Pros and cons as it were.We are thinking of buying there and any guidance would be appreciated as we know nothing about the different areas.What is Friars Hill area like? I definitely don't want to offend or start a "what do you mean by where I live is rough " ;) war but would really appreciate all help.Regards Ann

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I moved to Wicklow Town in 1999 and I can generally say it's been a positive experience.
    By the sea, close to the hills and not too far from Dublin City. The people are friendly, the shops that have remained in the most look after their customers. Moved up Friars Hill in 2004 and with the relief road I'm in and out when needs be and a short stroll down to the town. Nice selections of coffee shops, restaurants, bars, etc. The Murrough, Broadlough and the harbor areas are fantastic resources.
    It's by no means perfect, I'd love to remove that scrap metal eyesore as you head down the Port Relief road, the Tesco must be the worst in Ireland I'd love more facilities for the kids, I travel northwards twice a week with them for activities that aren't in Wicklow.
    Am I happy I moved there - Yes
    Any plans to move - No

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    the Tesco must be the worst in Ireland

I hear that planning permission has just been granted for a new tesco to be built there.

I live close to the port access road, just off the Marlton rd. It's an enjoyable place to live. My estate is nice and quiet, and we haven't had any problems there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Rua1 wrote: »
    I hear that planning permission has just been granted for a new tesco to be built there.

Where'd you hear that? I can't find anything about it.
    Long overdue. The Tescos in Wicklow has to be the worst in the country. It's shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

Hi,

found the planning decision here - http://www.wicklow.ie/eplan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=103409&LASiteID=3

Think they have to do a good bit of roadworks around the area and pay for a portion of the port access rd.

Hope they start soon. Would be great to bring some construction employment to the town, amongst other things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Tesco have indeed been granted their planning permission by an bord planeala (sp?!) Pretty sure it's the front of this weeks Wicklow People.

What is Wicklow like to live in.... hmm. I have lived here my whole life and there are always good and bad points I suppose. I'm probably not the best person (since I am getting out!), but.... Yes the shopkeepers who are still here for the most part are lovely, welcoming and helpful. There are a few cafés in town, I'd recommend Halpin's Bridge Café for sure. No cinema is a bit of a downer and has been for years, but if you have a car there is in Arklow or Dun Laoghaire.

I agree with an above poster, that scrap metal place is an eyesore, and for those of us living down near it the constant trucks is very annoying also.

I think any place is what you make it though. If you assimilate into the community you will find the place much better than if you don't

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 wanderlass

Thank you everybody

Advertisement