Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fourth Place or Bust! Arsenal v Liverpool 19.45 hrs

• 30-01-2013 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

The first of two games that Liverpool have to get at least 4 points from (I'd suggest) to have any plausible chance of a top 4 finish. Hang on I could say the same about Arsenal who are just three points ahead of the visitors. So then equally important game for both teams. No idea about Arsenals likely starting 11 and bench so I'll leave that for someone who does.

Liverpool clearly need to react to the FA Cup exit at the hands of League One scruffers Oldham, the nature of this game will be so different (on the floor, actual football not kick and rush a good pitch) that attempting to translate Sunday form to Wednesday would be foolish.

On the injury front everyone bar Martin Kelly is now back apparently, though I'd wonder about Enrique starting this one.

I'd guess this for the starting 11

Reina
    Johnson Carra Agger Enrique (hopefully)
    Lucas Gerrard
    Henderson
    Downing--Sturridge--Suarez

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fancy Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Watch this or El Clasico.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hoping for a Liverpool win, it will increase our chances of finishing top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Realistically it's the battle for 5th.

If the Liverpool side that play football show up I would fancy a result...Arsenal's best performance that I have seen came in the game against us at Anfield. Said it before but I think Aresnal are the weakest of the teams competing for the CL places and this will be a good chance to see if we are progessing under 'The Rodgers' or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Hoping for a Liverpool win, it will increase our chances of finishing top 4.

tve14746-19690321-601.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Watch this or El Clasico.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'll be watching both :)
    Simples :P

hFjpHUa.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Can't see Liverpool finishing in the top 7 this season, never mind top 4

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Enrique and Reina are in the match day squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I'll be watching both :)
    Simples :P

hFjpHUa.jpg

Liverpool game on screen, Barca on Ipad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

What channel is this on?

Nervously expect an arsenal win, oldham showed what level Liverpool are at, they have very few threatening players 1, while arsenal have quite a few more.

Likely team-

Szyney
    sagna
    vermantor
    mert
    gibbs
    ramsey
    santi
    wilshere
    pod
    giroud
    walcott

Liverpool to win possession, arsenal to win 3-1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Oranage2 wrote: »
    What channel is this on?

Nervously expect an arsenal win, oldham showed what level Liverpool are at, they have very few threatening players 1, while arsenal have quite a few more.

Likely team-

Szyney
    sagna
    vermantor
    mert
    gibbs
    ramsey
    santi
    wilshere
    pod
    giroud
    walcott

Diaby in place of Ramsey so he can tear the Liverpool midfield apart as he did in August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

What channel is this on?

Likely team-

Szyney
    sagna
    vermantor
    mert
    gibbs
    ramsey
    santi
    wilshere
    pod
    giroud
    walcott

It's on Sky Sports 2 @7:45pm. Come on Arsenal!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Cant see either team getting top 4 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I think the only position Arsenal are considerably better than Liverpool in is midfield, and i think if they want to dominate this game having Diaby and Wilshire starting in the middle would be the way to go. Ramsey has been pretty good in the defensive midfield position recently but he's not going to impose himself on the game as strongly as Diaby can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Wolf Club wrote: »
    I think the only position Arsenal are considerably better than Liverpool in is midfield, and i think if they want to dominate this game having Diaby and Wilshire starting in the middle would be the way to go. Ramsey has been pretty good in the defensive midfield position recently but he's not going to impose himself on the game as strongly as Diaby can.

If Gerrard plays the way he has been lately I'm not sure if Arsenal will have it all their way in midfield. I think it could be a really key area though so it will be interesting to see how the teams match up.

I hope we go for the win in this. Obviously there's no shame in a draw away at Arsenal but I would hope if we're drawing with 10-15 minutes left that we really go for it and take some risks. I wouldn't hold anything against Rodgers if it backfired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

What channel is this on?

Likely team-

Szyney
    sagna
    vermantor
    mert
    gibbs
    ramsey
    santi
    wilshere
    pod
    giroud
    walcott

Didn't watch the Oldham Liverpool game I take it, anyways I think they're both very evenly matched tonight not sure which way it will go we have improved massively since we played arsenal and they've gotten drastically worse. So who knows but there will be goals, of that i'm certain

Iang87 wrote: »
    Didn't watch the Oldham Liverpool game I take it, anyways I think they're both very evenly matched tonight not sure which way it will go we have improved massively since we played arsenal and they've gotten drastically worse. So who knows but there will be goals, of that i'm certain

So Liverpool have improved massively and Arsenal have gotten drastically worse ? Huge Liverpool win tonight then surely ?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

I'm hoping Liverpool do Everton a favour tonight. They owe us as they'd be in an awful state if Everton hadn't taken points off almost everyone around them this season.

It was very close to a first team, all but 3 players id say weren't first team or close to it.

If the right arsenal show up which I suspect will Liverpool are going to get humiliated. Maybe in football manager the teams line up pretty close but the non aggressive non threatening football pool play will suit arsenal to the ground, arsenal will counter strong and quick and Liverpool won't be able to cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Proven by the fact that Arsenal are still in the Champs League, FA Cup and ahead of Liverpool in the League.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Good luck Liverpool.

Obviously I'm hoping for an Arsenal win but I like your club and their current style. Think they're on the right track with Rodgers and will be a proper force again soon, which I'll be delighted to see.

Hopefully just not tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

c'mon arsenal!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

Liverpool:

Reina
    Wisdom Carra Agger Johnson
    Lucas Gerrard
    Downing Hendo Suarez
    Sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Liverpool:

Reina
    Lucas Gerrard
    Downing Hendo Suarez
    Sturridge

Thats being doing the rounds on twitter all day as our team . I would be happy to see that team start .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It was very close to a first team, all but 3 players id say weren't first team or close to it.

If the right arsenal show up which I suspect will Liverpool are going to get humiliated. Maybe in football manager the teams line up pretty close but the non aggressive non threatening football pool play will suit arsenal to the ground, arsenal will counter strong and quick and Liverpool won't be able to cope.

Three :D Reina, Agger, Johnson, Enrique, Gerrard, Lucas
    Arguably Downing as i think he is probably ging to play tonight and has the majority of the last few games

Like when ye played Bradford?

Completely different games, im unsure whether you are on a wind up or are being serious.

Wouldnt you argue that BOTH teams suit each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Liverpool:

Reina
    Lucas Gerrard
    Downing Hendo Suarez
    Sturridge

Not bad when all things considered. Can't see how much longer rodgers can get away with his excuses if he doesn't get 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

Massive game for Downing, need one of his better games. Think our midfield should be solid enough, providing they turn up for the whole 90mins, not 45. Hendo's energy will be crucial in the big pitch and so with Lucas V Cazorla/Wilshere.

greendom wrote: »
    So Liverpool have improved massively and Arsenal have gotten drastically worse ? Huge Liverpool win tonight then surely ?:rolleyes:

Did i say liverpool win did I. Dont bother putting words in my mouth. Point I made was didnt arsenal start the season with a fantastic defensive record, very hard to break down and good on the break. Didnt liverpool have a historically poor start. Alas we are 3 points apart going into tonight, that would imply one has improved and one has declined. Do you need me to go on. Is that clear enough

Maybe, maybe not. Sure united who also break quick struggled big time in the second half with the "non aggressive non threatening football"
    Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Proven by the fact that Arsenal are still in the Champs League, FA Cup and ahead of Liverpool in the League.

Great point almost as useful as me saying well we're still in the europa league and ye aren't. Point being what does all that matter to my point that arsenal have declined since early in the year

Leftist wrote: »
    Not bad when all things considered. Can't see how much longer rodgers can get away with his excuses if he doesn't get 4th.

He'll just blame it on the whole team bar Gerrard, Carra and Allen, then say they'll come second next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Regardless of tonights result ... speaking as a Liverpool supporter - we will not finish top 4 this year.

Did i say liverpool win did I. Dont bother putting words in my mouth. Point I made was didnt arsenal start the season with a fantastic defensive record, very hard to break down and good on the break. Didnt liverpool have a historically poor start. Alas we are 3 points apart going into tonight, that would imply one has improved and one has declined. Do you need me to go on. Is that clear enough

I'll ignore the patronising tone as I realise I may have initiated it. The first 3 games of the season were against 2 teams who parked the bus (Sunderland and Stoke) and yourselves. I don't think we've really worsened since then. Giroud has improved though, as has the understanding between our attacking players and our midfield.

i think the game tonight will be pretty close.

greendom wrote: »
    I'll ignore the patronising tone as I realise I may have initiated it. The first 3 games of the season were against 2 teams who parked the bus (Sunderland and Stoke) and yourselves. I don't think we've really worsened since then. Giroud has improved though, as has the understanding between our attacking players and our midfield.

i think the game tonight will be pretty close.

Ah ya sorry for the pricky reply myself. It will be close I think very close, are we 3 points in the league apart close, I dont think so. It could very well be a who wants it more wins tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

We weren't actually that great at defensively at the start of the season, just got some clean sheets in handy enough at the start. Our counter attacking certainly has improved though.

Didn't realise Carragher will probably be playing! That makes me more confident. Could even let Theo roam and run at him.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

What channel is this on?

Did Bradford show what level Arsenal are at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Diaby did well in the first game but all of Arsenal goals came from counter attacks and I'm not sure we'll be as attacking tonight, certanily suggests we play deep if Carragher is in the line up. Lucas back for this game as well will be huge, even though he's struggled he's still an improvement over Allen as a DM. I'm not really worried about any one of Arsenals players but as a group they can do well.

Prediction
    17 -1 to Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The reason that Liverpool and Arsenal are 6th and 7th at the moment is that they've been largely ****e this season.

Are they exactly the same level of ****eness? The table would appear to indicate that there's not much in it.

Both Liverpool and Arsenal have to hope that 3 of the other 4 teams currently closest to 4th implode or they have championship-winning form for the rest of the season. Arsenal don't have the easiest of fixture lists and are in a few more competitions.

In all likelyhood neither will make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Realistically it's the battle for 5th.

If the Liverpool side that play football show up I would fancy a result...Arsenal's best performance that I have seen came in the game against us at Anfield. Said it before but I think Aresnal are the weakest of the teams competing for the CL places and this will be a good chance to see if we are progessing under 'The Rodgers' or not.

Have you ever watched football before?
    Gbear wrote: »
    The reason that Liverpool and Arsenal are 6th and 7th at the moment is that they've been largely ****e this season.

Are they exactly the same level of ****eness? The table would appear to indicate that there's not much in it.

Both Liverpool and Arsenal have to hope that 3 of the other 4 teams currently closest to 4th implode or they have championship-winning form for the rest of the season. Arsenal don't have the easiest of fixture lists and are in a few more competitions.

In all likelyhood neither will make it.
    Hyperbole. Arsenal are 4 points off 4th, with Everton and Spurs being the teams above them. It won't take any implosions or championship winning form for Arsenal to get 4th place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Hoping for a good team performance and a win from Arsenal, but to be honest even if we win tonight I cant see us finishing top 4 as I dont think we have the consistency or class to go on a good run.

3-2 Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Liverpool to win on corners & posession, arsenal to win on shots and chances, both teams to go home with a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Draw will be the more likely result. Having said that, that Liverpool back line if selected is tasty for us to have a go at. I thikn we'll score a couple and concede at least one on a set piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

The thought of Walcott's pace and Giroud's aerial ability against Carra terrifies me.

3-1 to Arsenal.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Confirmed #LFC team v #AFC: Reina, Johnson, Agger, Carragher, Wisdom, Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Downing, Suarez, Sturridge.

#LFC subs: Jones, Enrique, Skrtel, Shelvey, Allen, Borini and Sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

subs: Jones, Enrique, Skrtel, Shelvey, Allen, Borini and Sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I see an easy Liverpool win tonight. 9 or 10 nil.

I also see Man Utd losing their next 8 games and us winning ours and then the league is ours to throw away. Our year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Arsenal.com ‏@Arsenal
    Arsenal team: Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla, Walcott, Podolski, Giroud #AFCvLFC

Rambo in the deeper role again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

RayCon wrote: »
    Regardless of tonights result ... speaking as a Liverpool supporter - we will not finish top 4 this year.

Not with that atitude anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Two former spurs players, one of whom is a former Liverpool player. Should be a nice unbiased analysis from Sky then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

AdamD wrote: »
    Arsenal.com ‏@Arsenal
    Arsenal team: Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla, Walcott, Podolski, Giroud #AFCvLFC

Rambo in the deeper role again

Interesting that there's no Koscielny. Would prefer to see him instead of Vermaelen tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

niallo27 wrote: »
    Not with that atitude anyway.

Well as far as I know Raycon isn't actually playing for us so his attitude doesn't really matter,does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Well as far as I know Raycon isn't actually playing for us so his attitude doesn't really matter,does it?

Only joking man.

• Advertisement
Advertisement