Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fourth Place or Bust! Arsenal v Liverpool 19.45 hrs

18910111214»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Glenn hoddld doesn't half talk some ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

klose wrote: »
    Wilshere is too good, was hiding behind the couch every time he had the ball.

Was afraid to watch incase he hurt himself every time he threw himself on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Was afraid to watch incase he hurt himself every time he threw himself on the ground.

Get over yourself, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

lol. Guy generally gets kicked off the pitch, he fell over the ball today and now hes a diver. Ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

is henderson's alan shearers love child???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

dorgasm wrote: »
    I know Arsenal players have been booked for diving but I'm just saying it's a bit rich of a Liverpool fan to call Arsenal "vile" because of it. It's like a United fan complaining that Spurs had too much injury time a fortnight ago :)

I was more calling you out on saying Liverpool's team was 'full of divers' when Liverpool have had one player booked for diving this season (in September) whereas Arsenal have had three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I'm fond of Rodgers, and I think Liverpool are slowly moving in the right direction after the damage done by Hodgson, Dalglish and the ownership fiasco, but some of the guff Pool fans are spouting on here really makes me wish we had of taken one of the multitude of chances we created in that last half an hour.

I'm sure given the enormous popularity of the club here in Ireland half of it is probably lads who are just killing time for the 6 nations or GAA to start at the weekend, but seriously you'd swear some of you never watched a game of football (as in soccer) before.

AdamD wrote: »
    lol. Guy generally gets kicked off the pitch, he fell over the ball today and now hes a diver. Ok.

They only showed one replay of it but you can see that he didn't even dive. He lost balance and ref gave a free. AFAIR he didn't even turn and plead to the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If you're nervous about diving you're following the wrong team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Bye bye rafa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Get over yourself, please.

Apologies...can we talk about the new rule where Vermaelen can run around the box with the ball on his hands? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Most disappointing thing from a defensive point of view was that Ground scored...Wenger should splash the cash during the summer and have his feet amputated, and heads grafted onto the bottom of each leg...could be a decent player then.
    14 goals. 10 assists. What's wrong with that for a first (half) season in the premiership? Going to beat Suarez's total tally for last year in the next month probably, was he crap too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Apologies...can we talk about the new rule where Vermaelen can run around the box with the ball on his hands? :pac:
    Seriously they showed sturridge handball it just before verm,stop the trolling please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Bye bye rafa

Welcome home Rafa.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I'm fond of Rodgers, and I think Liverpool are slowly moving in the right direction after the damage done by Hodgson, Dalglish and the ownership fiasco, but some of the guff Pool fans are spouting on here really makes me wish we had of taken one of the multitude of chances we created in that last half an hour.

I'm sure given the enormous popularity of the club here in Ireland half of it is probably lads who are just killing time for the 6 nations or GAA to start at the weekend, but seriously you'd swear some of you never watched a game of football (as in soccer) before.

You are an Arsenal fan and you cite Liverpool fans talking shít as the reason you wanted Arsenal to score a winner?

Sort out your priorities there lad, you've got them all skewed to the bitterness setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    I was more calling you out on saying Liverpool's team was 'full of divers' when Liverpool have had one player booked for diving this season (in September) whereas Arsenal have had three.
    Wilshere has never been booked for diving. Give over

Also if Quazzie's our MOTM Turtyturd is certainly your lots :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

5starpool wrote: »
    You are an Arsenal fan and you cite Liverpool fans talking shít as the reason you wanted Arsenal to score a winner?

Sort out your priorities there lad, you've got them all skewed to the bitterness setting.

Obviously I wanted Arsenal to score a winner because I'm an Arsenal fan. I'm not sure what I would be bitter about?! I've been an Arsenal fan since my bro worked in London in 89 and brought home the video of the match. :)

Knowing I have to go in to 5 Pool fans in work tomorrow, at least 3 of whom will spout similar tripe, definitely adds incentive to it though.

I'd venture it's stastically impossible you could be anywhere in Ireland and be outnumbered 5 to 1 by shíte talking Arsenal fans, so you probably don't get it.

AdamD wrote: »
    Wilshere has never been booked for diving. Give over

Also if Quazzie's our MOTM Turtyturd is certainly your lots :P

Apologies if that's the case, I was basing that off a tweet. Point still stands though, Liverpool's team is apparently 'full of divers' despite the fact only one player has been booked for diving this season.

Don't know why I'm bothering tbh.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Obviously I wanted Arsenal to score a winner because I'm an Arsenal fan. I'm not sure what I would be bitter about?! I've been an Arsenal fan since my bro worked in London in 89 and brought home the video of the match. :)

Knowing I have to go in to 5 Pool fans in work tomorrow, at least 3 of whom will spout similar tripe, definitely adds incentive to it though.

I'd venture it's stastically impossible you could be anywhere in Ireland and be outnumbered 5 to 1 by shíte talking Arsenal fans, so you probably don't get it.

It's the way you phrased your post, seeming that Liverpool fans were the only reason you wanted your team to score :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Most disappointing thing from a defensive point of view was that Ground scored...Wenger should splash the cash during the summer and have his feet amputated, and heads grafted onto the bottom of each leg...could be a decent player then.

What the **** are you on about?

Anyway, both sides could have won and lost that. Naturally it'll be two points dropped from whatever side of the divide you fall under.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Ah Liverpool fans. A great bunch of lads. See the humour in every situation.

Apologies if that's the case, I was basing that off a tweet. Point still stands though, Liverpool's team is apparently 'full of divers' despite the fact only one player has been booked for diving this season.

Don't know why I'm bothering tbh.

It was me who called Liverpool a team of divers. I'll apologise for that, I was just irked at some Liverpool fans being very quick to call us a vile team for diving when Liverpool have been under scrutiny several times in the past for diving. I wouldn't say either team has a massive reputation for diving in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Nice wan Arsenal. Had written that game off at 2-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Reina having a great game if you ignore his kick outs.

to be honest most of his kick out are usually to Johnson who usually wins the header, sagna jumped all over him tonight (and got away without the foul) obviously singled out by Arsenal//

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Apologies if that's the case, I was basing that off a tweet. Point still stands though, Liverpool's team is apparently 'full of divers' despite the fact only one player has been booked for diving this season. .

If you are basing your opinion on diving on whether or not a player has been booked.....you are doing it wrong. Just because a player escapes punishment, doesn't mean he hasn't dived. Gerrard is a diver. Great player that he is.....he has done it consistently throughout his career. He just never gets pulled up on it. Enrique, sterling, Sturridge, Downing, Johnson. They all dive.

Liverpools team are full of divers. Ofcourse, so is Arsenal's team. And every other team in the league. They are all guilty of it so trying to take the moral high ground about which team dives least, is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Kells... wrote: »
    Harrington made a double Bogey,run Forrest Run!

Ah, so now I know who a certain moderators alt account is. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Two points dropped but I guess a sign of progress that we are up there with the worst side competing for Cl places.

Also well done Henderson great turnaround by him.

You're joking about Giroud aren't you ? Much rather have him in my team than Sturridge for example

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why is everyone picking on Lucas?

He looks fine to me.

disagree, he was a passenger tonight, looks like he was a half a yard of pace behind the play tonight unfortunately, Hendo and Gerrard had to cover for him :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

D'Agger wrote: »
    Wisdom was been absolutely shocking tonight. Steep learning curve

Wisdom was fine, the support when Arsenal put him under pressure from Liverpool was terrible. The poor lad had nobody to pass to on so many occassions. Poor decision making by the players and the management not spotting it. Wisdom will do fine, he'll be a Liverpool regular in years to come.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

D'Agger wrote: »
    Wisdom was been absolutely shocking tonight. Steep learning curve

dont know how you can say that lad, thought he had a good game considering the less industrious Downing in front of him :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Just because a certain section of supporters of clubs act the tool doesn't mean every supporter is one. These threads are always ruined when the tar brush comes out.

Seeing as ye were 2 goals up, maybe, but going into the game, any Liverpool fan should be happy with a draw.

true, but seeing as arsenal were 0-2 down any arsenal fan should be happy with a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

mada999 wrote: »
    disagree, he was a passenger tonight, looks like he was a half a yard of pace behind the play tonight unfortunately, Hendo and Gerrard had to cover for him :(

I thought Lucas was very good tonight, seemed to make a lot of key tackles. I was watching it on a stream though and I always seem to miss a lot.

I do enjoy Liverpool Arsenal threads, much more fun than Chelsea or United ones. Anyway, happy enough with the point considering we were damn lucky to be 2 up, 2-0 would have been a travesty of justice, 2-2 is still hugely disappointing though. Overall a great game, probably the right result, I'd have taken it at half time. Us 3 points of Arsenal, given our run in after City I think we've a right chance of catching ye.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

yesno1234 wrote: »
    I thought Lucas was very good tonight, seemed to make a lot of key tackles. I was watching it on a stream though and I always seem to miss a lot.

dont know he looked lost positionally a lot tonight, hopefully its just down to getting match fitness back again, hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wisdom was solid tonight
    some posters on here are way too impatient with youngsters on here
    the Allen & Sterling criticism is way over the top imo

dont know how you can say that lad, thought he had a good game considering the less industrious Downing in front of him :confused:

The lad was targeted so often and rarely had a player to pass to. He's a natural CB, never played LB until the senior team and that shows in his play, but he has showed enough at Old Trafford and the Emirates that he's a real player for the future. I'd put him ahead of Flanagan and Robinson as a player for the future and I rate Robinson too.

Kirby wrote: »
    If you are basing your opinion on diving on whether or not a player has been booked.....you are doing it wrong. Just because a player escapes punishment, doesn't mean he hasn't dived. Gerrard is a diver. Great player that he is.....he has done it consistently throughout his career. He just never gets pulled up on it. Enrique, sterling, Sturridge, Downing, Johnson. They all dive.

Liverpools team are full of divers. Ofcourse, so is Arsenal's team. And every other team in the league. They are all guilty of it so trying to take the moral high ground about which team dives least, is ridiculous.

No, I don't base my opinion on bookings but it's the only somewhat fair way to measure it. Referees mistakenly book players who shouldn't be and fail to book players who should be but at least they don't hold a bias. Trying to compare dives/non-dives isn't going to work because fans are always going to defend their own players and call out opposition players regardless of whether they committed fouls/dives or not.

My only gripe was that someone called out another poster for making a comment (jokingly) about an Arsenal player diving because Liverpool's team is 'full of divers' (which isn't true of any team in the league imo, though you feel differently) thus taking the 'moral high ground' as you put it. Which, as you said yourself, is ridiculous. I wasn't trying to prove one team dives more than another or take the moral high ground as you seem to think. I was just pointing out that the comment made was untrue and that just because players on the team you support have dives somehow disqualifies from commenting on it when other teams do it.

Anyway, all this has come from a throwaway comment. I told myself I was't going to post here again but I felt the need to defend myself.

true, but seeing as arsenal were 0-2 down any arsenal fan should be happy with a draw

Can't speak for all Arsenal fans but after going 2 down, I'm happy that we drew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Very strange game.

On the balance of play I feel we were lucky to get away with a point, yet at the same time feel disappointed we didn't see out the 2 goal advantage.

I honestly can't think of a game under Rodgers or even Dalglish where we were so utterly dominated. I thought Arsenal pissed on us. I would love for someone to tell me when we last had 38% possession or less.

Arsenal absolutely swamped us when we tried to play the ball out in defence and midfield. We had no answer to their pressing and were really poor at keeping the ball, which resulted in more and more pressure from Arsenal. Really I felt we were under the cosh for probably 70 minutes of that game at least.

Arsenal's midfield were exceptional, in particular Wilshere. How he was overlooked for Man of the Match I have no idea. He's going to be a big player I feel.

However arsenal's defence was really poor. I thought we got a bit of luck for the goals, some lucky bounces, but we've a lot of these go against us this year. But the defending and goalkeeping was atrocious from Arsenal and not just from the goals. I was confident we could cause them problems in this area, but I wasn't expecting so many errors.

The back 4 and Sczezny really let down what was a very good Arsenal performance on the whole.

We deserved to lose, but if every match went to the 'deserving' team we would have been in a title race last year so I'm not going to feel too sorry for Arsenal.

From our perspective, despite the fact it was a pretty decent result I would have to say I'm disappointed. We were incapable of keeping the ball and taking the pressure off when it mattered, and after being gifted a 2 goal lead were not able to hang on to it. Taking the result out of the equation, I thought it was a pretty poor performance. Arsenal looked a cut above and that was disappointing to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

At the same time they looked ****e and vulnerable and players with a bit more composure up front would've meant an unassailable lead by half time.

Some of Arsenal's attacking play was magnificent but it doesn't matter a **** if you have U7's level defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Morzadec wrote: »
    ...if every match went to the 'deserving' team we would have been in a title race last year so I'm not going to feel too sorry for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Very strange game.

On the balance of play I feel we were lucky to get away with a point, yet at the same time feel disappointed we didn't see out the 2 goal advantage.

I honestly can't think of a game under Rodgers or even Dalglish where we were so utterly dominated. I thought Arsenal pissed on us. I would love for someone to tell me when we last had 38% possession or less.

Arsenal absolutely swamped us when we tried to play the ball out in defence and midfield. We had no answer to their pressing and were really poor at keeping the ball, which resulted in more and more pressure from Arsenal. Really I felt we were under the cosh for probably 70 minutes of that game at least.

Funny how people view the same game. I never felt that way at all. In fact I thought Liverpool played very well for 60 minutes or so, controlled the tempo of the game and created the better chances. Granted Arsenal's terrible defending helped but some of that was down to Liverpool closing down and applying pressure on their back four. Obviously Arsenal had more possession but it's always likely to be that way when you go there. Had Liverpool hung onto their 2-0 lead for a bit longer they probably would have taken the sting out of the game for good but once Arsenal made it 2-1 so quickly I think a bit of panic set in for 10 minutes or so. And then they quickly conceded again so it always always going to be all hands on the pump from there until the end as all the momentum had swung Arsenal's way. In the last 10 minutes even though Arsenal were pressing, Liverpool actually counter-attacked pretty well and could have nicked it themselves at the death. Draw was a pretty fair result I feel in the end but Liverpool will be the ones kicking themselves because at 2-0 you really should close out a game.

What the hell is this??

From the guy who thinks, you know yourself about Hillsborough. Ignore and laugh.

• Advertisement

Funny how people view the same game. I never felt that way at all. In fact I thought Liverpool played very well for 60 minutes or so, controlled the tempo of the game and created the better chances. Granted Arsenal's terrible defending helped but some of that was down to Liverpool closing down and applying pressure on their back four. Obviously Arsenal had more possession but it's always likely to be that way when you go there. Had Liverpool hung onto their 2-0 lead for a bit longer they probably would have taken the sting out of the game for good but once Arsenal made it 2-1 so quickly I think a bit of panic set in for 10 minutes or so. And then they quickly conceded again so it always always going to be all hands on the pump from there until the end as all the momentum had swung Arsenal's way. In the last 10 minutes even though Arsenal were pressing, Liverpool actually counter-attacked pretty well and could have nicked it themselves at the death. Draw was a pretty fair result I feel in the end but Liverpool will be the ones kicking themselves because at 2-0 you really should close out a game.

Yeah true in many ways. I explained the match to my firend and said Arsenal were all over us. He watched the highlights and said 'but these are all Liverpool chances?' But for me it felt like ARsenal were on the verge of scoring almost all game, bar maybe a 10 or 15 minute period at the end of the first half. I never felt comfortable.

I was using the term 'deserve' in a very figurative way anyway, just to mean more shots, more possession and generally looking in control.

Fact is (as we know all too well) if you defend badly and aren't clinical in attack, dominance and control of the game will get you nowhere, so Arsenal can have no complaints.

But for me I was surprised to see us so dominated in midfield, and so unable to play the ball from defence to midfield without losing it.

Like I said I can't remember a game where we had 38% possession and felt so under the cosh for such extended periods. Perhaps United away last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Anyone know where I can stream the match?

Over all I guess our comical defending has let us down. Arsenal really need a super quality defender and defensive mid if we want to be guaranteed top 4 or else with a bit of luck we'll just fall over the line ahead of spurs and everton.

If we want to challenge next season we'll need a quality gk, lb, cb, dm, striker. Maybe even 2 centrebacks and a left winger.

Advertisement