Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit - Am I obliged to hand it over?

Options
  • 30-01-2013 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm living in student accomodation at the moment since the end of August. Until over Christmas, I had received no hassle about not paying the deposit. (it didn't roll over fully from last year, so I got refunded). They have started chasing me about it now. I know a few more people who haven't paid it but aren't getting rang about it.

My question is, am I obliged to hand over the deposit now that they're asking me about it but it's a full semester after I've moved in?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

biggaman wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm living in student accomodation at the moment since the end of August. Until over Christmas, I had received no hassle about not paying the deposit. (it didn't roll over fully from last year, so I got refunded). They have started chasing me about it now. I know a few more people who haven't paid it but aren't getting rang about it.

My question is, am I obliged to hand over the deposit now that they're asking me about it but it's a full semester after I've moved in?

Thanks!
    Of course you are. They have been fair to date, but you are in breach of your contract and you need to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

There are others not being chased for it, and why are they chasing me 6 months (ish) after moving in for a deposit though?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

What kind of a contract do you have? If you have it in writing that you are supposed to have paid a deposit then of course you need to pay it. What other have or have not paid is irrelevant.

That said, lord knows why they handed over the keys before collecting the deposit. Seems a very strange way to operate.

They made an error at the beginning and when it didn't roll over it was refunded to me, and they hadn't chased it until now. We've a lease agreement, it's on campus so it's fairly hefty, I don't know what exactly it says about deposits though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Strange one, it sounds like you could be in some sort of quasi Part 4 scenario.

Are you in the same room as you were in last year?

• Advertisement

Nope, different village. Still on campus though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Right and they eventually paid you back your deposit from last year and you signed a new lease?

Sounds like they're right and you'll have to pony up the deposit I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

biggaman wrote: »
    We've a lease agreement, it's on campus so it's fairly hefty, I don't know what exactly it says about deposits though.
    Lease or licence? Most college accommodation is by licence - in legal terms not much different to staying in a hotel and you could be chucked out by short notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mid

Victor wrote: »
    Lease or licence? Most college accommodation is by licence - in legal terms not much different to staying in a hotel and you could be chucked out by short notice.

I think the OP is in UL, if living in Dromroe Village then its a lease and the apartments are registered with the PRTB, the same as other rented accommodation. (not sure about the other 4 student villages)

Advertisement