Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finishing hone

• 30-01-2013 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

So I've decided to purchase a finishing hone to keep my razor sharp. I went with the Naniwa 12k, should be here by next week.
    I'm just wondering will it need to be lapped? If so, does anyone know where I could get this done?
    Also, will I have to use an X-pattern when sharpening the razor? The hone will be wide enough to use without, do I still have to use one?
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I would lap just to be sure that it's perfectly flat. You can do it yourself easily. Get yourself some sandpaper and a flat surface.

You just put pencil lines across the hone and rub the 12k against the sandpaper that's on the flat surface. When all of the lines are gone your hone is flat.

If the 12k is the same width as the 1k that I have you might find that it's just a hair too thin to get away without using x-strokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MetalBren

and roughly how many strokes would it take to properly refresh the edge?

Not a clue :D

It's just a case of you doing some strokes on the hone and testing the edge to see if it's good. If not, keep going.

It shouldn't really take long at all to get the edge back if it's only for touch ups.

Thanks! i suppose I'll have to wait to get the hone and then go from there.

Another question: should the blade be honed at an angle?
    I mean at an angle so its not perpendicular at the sides, i know the blade has to stay flat on the hone.

• Advertisement

You lie the blade down on the hone so that both the spine and edge touch the hone at the same time. If you're still confused watch a video about honing on youtube and it'll clear up which way to put the razor on the hone.

Here's a picture to show you.

Razor-in-Honing.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Great slurry!

Great slurry!

Ah, Deise. Haven't seen your name around here in a while.

Have you stuck it out with straight razors?

sorry for the lack of replies, been insanely busy. anyway, my dad and i got the hone up and running and i got my razors back to very nice order :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Have you stuck it out with straight razors?

Usually use a Merkur DE weekdays and the straight at weekends!

• Advertisement
Advertisement