Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hurlers Facebook Page

Options
  • 30-01-2013 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Well lads, I was just wondering what you guys think of the way the Hurlers markets itself. I think the Facebook page is fairly disgusting.
    I've written an article about a particular incident for TST but I think in general the way they post things like "get those livers ready" is a bit much. We all love a drink and especially when it's cheap but the page is downright mental.
    What do you think?

http://www.thomondstudenttimes.com/index.php/opinion/259-hurlers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

The page is more then likely run by a student or someone who doesn't what to give up the student lifestyle. It just pandering to a certin type of student most of them won't give a **** and more then likely call you a dry balls. I did find it odd that you didn't mention the sabbat that, for lack of a better term, supported it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Maybe the girl knows the people who own the page? If she doesn't, then it was a bit far but if she does then, meh!

As for the marketing approach, I don't see anything wrong with telling people to get their livers ready... I've seen much worse approaches and they are, after all, a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stephen_Byrne

In fairness, the get your livers ready is not bad. The point I'm trying to make is about that particular incident. Of course they will call me a dry balls, but I don't think an editor of a newspaper can hold back because people might call them names.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bambismom

The point I'm trying to make is about that particular incident.

I was just wondering if, as a journalist, you contacted the girl in question? Did you ask if was she offended by the comment? Does she know the operator of the page? Was the comment just banter between two friends or was it a malicious attack from a company?

In my opinion, if she did not remove said post from her facebook page, she must not have been too bothered or offended by it and neither should you.

Also, as a side bar, your article was well written but I think would gain more respect if you refrained from using foul language. There is no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Seems like a bit of an overreaction to be honest.

OK, the page shouldn't be posting sh*te like that, but there's a high likelihood that the girl in question actually knows the person running the Hurlers' page, and so it could just be friends having a laugh.

I think the article raises a valid point about the way the Hurlers markets itself to UL students, but at the end of the day they're not breaking any rules and have to do what they can to maximise profits IMO.

Interesting article though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

Quite possibly one of the most ridiculous articles iv seen.Clearly attention seeking looking to start an argument with the Hurlers or else Steven has some sort of hidden agenda.

Facebook pages like this are the norm.You don't want to like a page and get bombarded with monotonous advertisements and promotions 7 days a week.What the hurlers have done with Brendan has been brilliant. They've organized a serious amount of original nights and days in the last few years.From black Monday to DJ Rankin.It's something different and another option for student's whether you like or not.

The main argument in that article was about the comment "So will your box" on someones wall saying you would be offended if that was your sister.That's fine don't go if your so offended by it,But there's hundreds of others that can see the joke for the way it was intended

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Poor article. Fairly sure the person behind the pages knows the girl well and its more of a comment between friends. Nice move naming that lad in question without getting his side of it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

I could have sworn that guy who is Cambridge graduated last year?

I only noticed that the OP is the editor of TST.

Nothing like stirring the pot first week back.
    They are just as bad as each other trying to get likes on facebook.

The Cambridge Vs. Kennedy debate was truly hilarious in fairness. :)

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »

love to know who runs that troll account, can have much else to do but its quality none the less

I wish I new were it was

Jester252 wrote: »
    I wish I new were it was

Here ya go.

I love you and I love him

nothing but a scallywag, up to no good.

Bahah, lads, this is getting hilariously blown out of proportion on both sides.

Post by the person named in the TST article:

238851.JPG

Aboy Brendan.

The girl probably knew it was Brendan anyway, wasnt really up to tst to decide everyone should be offended and ripping off heads.
    If she was offended she would have deleted it and blocked him.

Tbh he came of as a bit of an unpleasant dick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

He should have stopped typing after the first paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Arse Biscuits!

hehehehehe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

lkionm wrote: »
    Aboy Brendan.

The girl probably knew it was Brendan anyway, wasnt really up to tst to decide everyone should be offended and ripping off heads.
    If she was offended she would have deleted it and blocked him.
    Regardless, it's promoting a really negative image, not to mention highly unprofessional. I think it's pretty shameful and careless that a business page would promote the stupid and dangerous 'lad culture' like that.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Regardless, it's promoting a really negative image, not to mention highly unprofessional. I think it's pretty shameful and careless that a business page would promote the stupid and dangerous 'lad culture' like that.

Negative to a few, sloppy students like 'banter' like that and can go there for a sloppy night and don't have to keep an eye out for bouncers. It's grand and cheap in there but dark and dingey (??).

It's like an unregulated costellos.

He should have posted it himself if anything and I dont know why we are giving it time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Nothing quite like a bit of pointless ****-slinging over the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭brucechan

ridiculous article in TST. I hope you don't harbour any serious notions of being a journalist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭sigmund.jung

I think it's a bit sad that the marketing guru is boasting about the number of likes his facebook page has, especially as he is advertising cheap drink and loose morals.

I think it's a bit sad that the marketing guru is boasting about the number of likes his facebook page has, especially as he is advertising cheap drink and loose morals.

If he was advertising expensive cognac and biblical behaviour would that be more appealing to you?

And he deserves his boast, the last two years the hurlers/shed has been the place to go for students and is regularly packed to capacity. I'd call that a success

Advertisement