Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Lasting Antibiotic innjection not working?

• 30-01-2013 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

So I was on here last week asking advice about getting my cat who has cat flu to try and eat. Unfortunately nothing worked so we brought her back down to the vet and he gave her a long lasting antibiotic injection. That was Monday and she still isnt getting better and neither is her appetite. Should it be taking this long?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

sounds like u should bring her back to the vets. is there no improvement at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

sounds like u should bring her back to the vets. is there no improvement at all?

Her eyes are really crusty now, she had a tiny bit of water and shes dribbling a lot, really thrown down. I'd been giving her antibiotics and anti-inflammatory before bringing her down and they said it would sort her out but shes not eating. She goes to eat alright but wont. I've been giving her sardines to try but no hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Id bring her straight back to the vet. If she's dribbling and trying to eat she sounds like there's something up with her mouth or possibly even further down. She should definitely be showing signs of improvement after 2-3 days so i wouldnt wait much longer tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

You need to bring her back to the vet, she'll be at risk of more serious complications if she's still not eating. Plus, with cats, the longer they go without eating the harder it can be to get them started again.

We've had fosters over that years that have required hand-feeding, fluids, painkillers & antibiotics as a result of a bad dose of the flu. Poor kitty, hope she feels better soon.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Id bring her straight back to the vet. If she's dribbling and trying to eat she sounds like there's something up with her mouth or possibly even further down. She should definitely be showing signs of improvement after 2-3 days so i wouldnt wait much longer tbh.
    hadook wrote: »
    You need to bring her back to the vet, she'll be at risk of more serious complications if she's still not eating. Plus, with cats, the longer they go without eating the harder it can be to get them started again.

We've had fosters over that years that have required hand-feeding, fluids, painkillers & antibiotics as a result of a bad dose of the flu. Poor kitty, hope she feels better soon.

Thanks guys, Im bringing her back down this evening, hate seeing her like this :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

She should really have perked up after the antibiotic injection, one of my chaps has had a few of them over the years. I hope she gets better soon, its heartbreaking to watch them suffer when they're ill. Good luck at the vets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Depending on the severity of infection, cat flu can be very slow to resolve.

What was the long acting antibiotic given? There are few common ones that don't do much at all for cat flu.

Is she getting an antibiotic eye ointment as well?

You can encourage her to eat by warming the food very gently either in the microwave or by mixing through some hot water (it'll cool almost immediately as the food is at room temperature.) She may have lost her sense of smell if she's all bunged up. One form of cat flu leads to nasty mouth ulcers, as well. She's probably feeling too rotten to care much about food.

Ask the vet for a high-calorie, highly-palatable, mushy recovery food for cats, like Hills' a/d or Royal Canin recovery food. Both have a high moisture content too so she is less likely to become dehydrated - I'm guessing she's not drinking from the water bowl much? You may need to syringe feed her if she won't eat on her own. Ask your vet how to do this.

Steam baths are also great for loosening congestion and might encourage her to eat. Ask the vet about this too. I can give you instructions but it's most important that you dry off the kitty and keep her warm when she's finished in the steam.

Brought her down only for a closed sign to be on the door :(, hopefully she'll make it through the night until i get her in tomorrow..
    I reckon you might be right about the mouth ulcers because there is a bit of a whiff to her breath. Its trying to clean her eyes is also the problem, its really crusty under her eyes, I have eye drops here that I bought her last week. do you have any tips for me on the syringing water to her mouth or the steam bath?

Syringe a few mls of water at a time through the side of her mouth while she is wrapped in a towel. Dehydration is your biggest issue at the minute so concentrate on keeping her fluid levels up until the morning. As for her eyes, soak some cotton wool pads in warm salty water and hold on each eye to soften the material, then wipe.

Does your vet have an emergency number?Most do.

Hows your Kittie today OP?

• Advertisement

anniehoo wrote: »
    Hows your Kittie today OP?

Thanks for asking,
    Well I brought her down this morning and they said that shes in a really bad state and that the flu has now travelled to her chest :( so because she has had nothing to eat/drink in a while they have her attached to a drip and are keeping her overnight before ringing me in the morning to let me know. Basically vet told me its not looking too good Dotty.
    I was up every 2 hours last night trying to syringe water to her mouth but it was very distressing for her so I had to stop.
    She had a bad start to life, was dumped in a ditch near my house when she was small and we fell in love with her straight away. My boyf who wouldnt be much of a cat lover is mad about her too, shes very quiet and waits for my other cat to finish eating before she eats something herself. Shes very affectionate though but has had health problems since we got her. Im just praying for a miracle tonight

:( Aw im so sorry to hear she's not doing good. You've done your best though,none of us here would've done anything differently to be honest. I wouldn't have anyway. She's on a drip now and this is exactly what she needs. Fingers crossed, she sounds like a tough cookie ;)

Hi, how is puss doing today OP?

Hi, how is puss doing today OP?

Thanks for asking Pumpkinseeds!
    I went down to the vets this morning to see her, vet still wasnt in but girl in the shop took me through to see Dotty, shes still really weak, barely moving. they want to keep her in for the weekend, shes off the drip though and I asked why and she said she wasnt sure but that the vet will ring me back today to update me. Im none the wiser as to whats going on, just waiting for them to ring me and let me know :confused:

Well she made it through the night anyway. She sounds like a little fighter. Its awful waiting for phonecalls from the vet. I hope she pulls through, fingers crossed.

Well she made it through the night anyway. She sounds like a little fighter. Its awful waiting for phonecalls from the vet. I hope she pulls through, fingers crossed.

Thank you, Im looking at it like that, that shes made it this far, will keep ye posted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Hope Dotty is doing much better. Has the vet given you any idea of her liver and kidney status? Hopefully she is eating and drinking something now.

Well unfortunately I got the worst news possible this morning from the vet, Dotty never made it through the night. She was just too weak in the end, yesterday was the first time she ate or drank anything by herself but she just couldnt get better.
    Heartbroken is an understatement, Im upset especially that she was by herself when she died and I wasnt there. A lot of 'what if's' at the moment.
    Thanks to everyone on her who offered advice and asked how she was.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3131/dotjud.jpg

Ah not Dotty too, im sooooo sorry to hear that. Sincere condolences its just devastating losing them. RIP Dotty :(:(

I'm so very sorry to hear that you lost her. She is a beauty. She had a horrible start to her life but you turned that around and filled her life with love and so many abandoned cats don't have that good fortune. Cats ask for so little but they give so much love in return. I'm sure she knows that you love her. Try to hold on to the good memories and not linger on not being with her at the end. You did everything you could for her and now she's off on her next adventure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that.Don't do the what if's, she was clearly loved dearly and knew it I'm sure. X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

ah no.:( I'm so sorry to be reading this. RIP Dotty. xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

RIP Dotty. So sad to hear she didn't make it. :( Try not to drive yourself mad with the "what ifs", you did everything you could possibly do. Just concentrate on all the happy memories you have.

Advertisement