Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm looking for the words......

Options
  • 30-01-2013 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭

Perhaps someone can help me with this?
    Many years ago, when Gaybo had a morning radio show, he read out a story describing a piece of theatre which took place regularly on a Dublin street.
    In it the author described a spat between two old codgers who were constantly threatening to beat the bejasus out of each other but who never quite came to blows because of the intervention of mutual "friends".
    These friends pretended to take the whole charade seriously and intervened in the most earnest fashion to prevent a wholesale outbreak of war even though everyone knew that neither of the protagonists was capable of beating their way out of a paper bag.
    Apparently, this mock battle took place on a regular basis and everyone for miles around knew about its sham nature but preserved the fallacy for its pure entertainment value.
    On this particular occasion a stray Englishman happened to be watching and - not being in on the joke - was mesmerised by the body language involved.
    Towards the end of the story it was beginning to dawn, even on him,
    the true nature of this particular piece of Dublin drama and he walked away shaking his head.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mindfulness

I'm not aware of it but it sounds fascinating! I have very fond memories of my mum listening to Gaybo in the mornings when I was young. I miss that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

I'm not aware of it but it sounds fascinating! I have very fond memories of my mum listening to Gaybo in the mornings when I was young. I miss that.

Yeah, it was a really cracking yarn and quintessentially Dublin.
    I'm surprised that no one seems to remember it.
    Now that poor old Gaybo is short of a few bob perhaps he might decide to put together a compilation of his "best bits" over the years?

Advertisement