Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did people feel burned by the Wii and hence reluctant to buy the Wii U?

• 30-01-2013 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Before I start: :)

* I'm being serious, not trolling.
    * Decided to put this in Games rather than the Nintendo forum in order to attract a wider spectrum of gamers

So, is the question I pose in my title accurate or not?

I ask it as I was reading this article and it's user comments: Eurogamer - Nintendo's Wii U sales struggle

I bought a Wii shortly after lunch, having a 360 already. After the initial buzz of Wii Sport, Zelda, Super Paper Mario and Metroid Prime I lost interest in it. Now it only gets played every few months, mainly when there are a few of us together that want to play Wii Sports or Mario Kart.

Back in the day I used to own an SNES and for me that's the best console of all time, amazing machine with amazing games.

By just talking to a lot of fellow Wii owners I know as friends they all seem to agree that their Wiis are gathering dust. Now maybe that's because most of those people (myself included) are light to medium gamers, but our 360's/PCs/PS3s get far more use.

After being underwhelmed by the Wii I have no inclination to buy the Wii. Luckily at the moment (touch wood) I have the disposal income to afford one but I just fear it would be a waste of money and end up lying idle. I'm focusing on picking up some of the year's 360 new releases and catching up on it's back catalogue at bargain prices. I probably will be tempted by the new Sony and Microsoft consoles.

So has people's experience of the Wii affected the perception of the Wii U?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Wii's catalogue of inventive, ambitious and all round excellent games will make me more not less inclined to buy a Wii U once the software catalogue has had a chance to grow.

Plus, Bayonetta 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems they are making a mountain out of a molehill. The WiiU has sold an impressive amount in a short space of time and Nintendo are revising their sales down. They are expected to post a profit for this year which is a lot better than the loss they made last year.

I'll definitely pick up a WiiU, I'm just broke right now. If anything the Wii's library of excellent and charming games has made me more interested in the WiiU. I find the typical Wii user isn't even aware of how many great games are on the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I've still got Wii games I mean to play, specifically Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story. The Wii hasn't had as many good games as I'd have liked, but I don't regret the purchase. The Wii U, well, Windwaker HD, a new Zelda and Bayonetta 2 are already going to be strong motivations to own a Wii U. There isn't a reason to own a Wii U now for me. I will own one though, at a time when it makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's several things putting me off the Wii U. The price, the lack of must-have games, the lack of third party support, the prospect of new Microsoft and Sony consoles on the horrizon and Nintendo's horrible online record.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

When there are games for it that i want to play, i'll consider it. Xenoblade 2 would be one of those games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I got a wii shortly after launch, and to be honest the most use it got was playing the gamecube versions of mario kart and super smash brothers. I did also play No More Heroes, Okami, Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, and Paper Mario. It's probably more games than I've played on previous consoles looking back.

I'll be in no rush to buy a Wii U though. The wii was a christmas gift from the parents - now that I'm earning, I game on PC. Having said that, of the major consoles, Nintendo would usually be my first pick - for their first party games. But I'm content to wait a few years until the library pads out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'll probably pick up up in a year or so once some unique games come out and more features are added (like the virtual console on the gamepad for example) - I have nothing against the WiiU - I just don't feel like I need to have one at the moment as most games currently on it are games that I could play on my Xbox albeit with a few tacked on (and probably unnecessary) features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I like the Wii. As has been stated there are more games on it than I have time to play. I plan on getting a Wii U at some point, but like the Wii and PS3, I'll wait for the catalogue to build up and price to come down. I'd say we'll see the decrease in price nearer the Sony and MS new console launches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Most gamers I know who bought a Wii sold it again. That was generally down to the lack of major releases to keep them gaming on it. It generally played a very secondary role to their main console. One friend used it more with Gamecube games and controllers than with the Wii games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭Nollog

I didn't feel burned. I enjoyed the massive amount of good Nintendo games, and occasional third party games I got on the Wii.

3 million (900k in Europe) isn't too bad for 2 months imo, people are just expecting it to outdo something that was easier to explain, had wider appeal, was cheaper, and people had money to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd also like to think people are just seeing sense and realising it's a mite unnecessary to pick up launch consoles before the software catalogue has a chance to expand and diversify. Plus the inevitably price drops down the line... If you have the money, a new gadget is of course always fun, so buy away. But there's no doubt consoles take a year or two for their potential to be realised. There's nothing like picking up a console with a couple of year's worth of excellent releases to keep you occupied in the immediate and long-terms.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I find the typical gamer isn't even aware of how many great games are out there.

FYP - I think the problem is far more widespread than just Wii owners :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'd also like to think people are just seeing sense and realising it's a mite unnecessary to pick up launch consoles before the software catalogue has a chance to expand and diversify. Plus the inevitably price drops down the line... If you have the money, a new gadget is of course always fun, so buy away. But there's no doubt consoles take a year or two for their potential to be realised. There's nothing like picking up a console with a couple of year's worth of excellent releases to keep you occupied in the immediate and long-terms.

True, I'd be more tempted to buy a PS3 before a Wii U. Grab all those great PS3 exclusives that I have missed out on at a cut price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

My main reason is the catalog.

Once they've built up a more impressive list of nintendo games, I'll probably cave and buy one...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

bought one straight at launch
    played it for a month? maybe 2 months with friends
    now i havnt touched it since then
    dont like it all really
    kinect is even better then the wii and thats only part of a console

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Bayonetta 2 is not a strong enough motivating factor for me. The first one is arguably one of the most technically fluid combat games out there but as far as combat possibilities go DMC dwarfs it. That's a separate topic entirely though.

The technology doesn't interest me the slightest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Have no intention of getting it. I'm (admittedly) biased towards PC gaming, and the PS3 to an extent, so that does skew it I guess. Honestly, if it wasn't for the Pokémon games on the Game Boy, GBA and DS, I'd never own a Nintendo console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

Pokemon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

snausages wrote: »
    Bayonetta 2 is not a strong enough motivating factor for me. The first one is arguably one of the most technically fluid combat games out there but as far as combat possibilities go DMC dwarfs it. That's a separate topic entirely though.

The technology doesn't interest me the slightest.
    Go home snausages, you are drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i bought a wii u at launch .. quite happy with it , though all i am playing is sonic all star racing transformed and finishing up on xenoblade.

my influence on the purchase was cause of the wii. before i bought it i was just a playstation user , betraying my sega roots for a ps1 ..i still never forgive myself :(.

anyways up till 2009-2010, wii was a total wake up call and opened my eyes to some of the best games that were not there on the ps3/360.

most of the hd consoles games were shooters, theres no denying that, and despite some of my favourite games this gen were on ps3 like demon souls, valkyria chronicles ,yakuza.. i found the wii to have more games that took risk or were different from what was offered this gen which was a cod clone in fp or 3rd person.

Alot of people say nintendo has no 3rd party support , but i am looking at the list and all i ever see is 3rd party support.

no more heroes was 3rd party exclusive for awhile aswell as house of the dead overkill and the dead space, resident evil rail shooters.
    then you had games like fragile dreams, zack and wiki, nights journey of dreams, last story, pandoras tower, sonic colours (etc..) all 3rd party exclusives.

3rd party has always being there for nintendo and in most cases where it mattered most in exclusivity.

So ya i bought a wiiu hoping for more of the same what the wii offered and after nintendo latest direct it looks like i am getting what i hoped for. monolith new game, fire emblemx shin megami tensei, wind waker hd which i never played, bayonetta 2, wonderful101...

so many great games and e3 is just around the corner :D

gizmo wrote: »
    Go home snausages, you are drunk.

But it's true. It's a good game, but not on the same level. On a normal difficulty playthrough there appears a great layer of depth but when you actually try to explore the nuances of the combat on higher levels you notice just how interchangeable most of the techniques are. It's fast, fluid and accessible and dodge offset was a great innovation, but that's about it.Massively overrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

I didn't buy the wii U as there is nothing on it (so far) that interests me enough (that can't be gotten on PC)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Wossack

compared to wii-mania when the first was originally released, its been like a crypt with regards the wii u

I went looking in the nintendo forum a few weeks ago, as I wasnt sure it was even out yet

But it's true. It's a good game, but not on the same level. On a normal difficulty playthrough there appears a great layer of depth but when you actually try to explore the nuances of the combat on higher levels you notice just how interchangeable most of the techniques are. It's fast, fluid and accessible and dodge offset was a great innovation, but that's about it.Massively overrated.
    Wait, are you talking about the recent DmC or the original DMC entries, most notably DMC3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Well it's a very different economic climate out there today compared to when the Wii originally launched. So that will have a part to play in some of the lacklustre sales figures.

I got the Wii on launch day. I wouldn't say I ever regretted buying it but I certainly became disillusioned with it and sold it in 2009. It was a mainstay in my gaming life up til then though. For a "gamer" it never really had enough diversity in it's catalogue. True enough, there were some cracking titles on it but these always undersold and became sparse as the lifecycle continued compared to the 360 and PS3.

I've little to no interest in the Wii U at this stage. Very little other than the usual urge to play Nintendo titles there to draw me to it at this stage. I may pick it up in the future, but with purses tightening all over the place and talk of next gen for Xbox and PS being announced soon, I think it'd be hasty so splurge money on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I bought a Wii in 2007, I enjoyed it but I was just not into the Wiimote at all, annoyed me and hurt my wrists, but it did work great with a lot of games like RE4 MGalaxy1&2 etc, but I just wanted to play with a controller at the end of the day tbh so I got a 360 in 2009. I cracked my Wii in 2009 also, and still have it for blasts of whatever I wanna play (I know, I'm the probelm, but I buy all my games for 360/3DS/WiiU on launch day since 2010).

Bought WiiU at launch to play MarioU, got NLand and ZombiU too, but I have only finished MarioU. NLand is just not clicking with me at the moment and the same with ZombiU, but they will later on I'm sure. But in the mean time I have DS3, Bioshock3 and loads of other games from my own back cat to play through until the summer, no problem yes!

So the way I am looking at it, yes I have the WiiU for the rest of its lifespan now, not many games out for it until prob after March but some much is in the pipe line for this 2 mont old console, its only at the start give it a chance, I mean like, its like like the Vita :p

Also, the main reason sales will not be like the Wii is because there is world wide recession on at the moment (duh), people dont seem to realize this for some weird odd reason, the sales at launch are always 'hardcore gamers' :rolleyes:, others will follow in sales when the back cat is bigger and when the general public know what it is. Also when a price cut comes in 2 years time.

I do believe the Nextbox and PS4 will be a little bit stronger than the WiiU, but I dont think there will be massive leaps in power.

gizmo wrote: »
    Wait, are you talking about the recent DmC or the original DMC entries, most notably DMC3?

Yeah, 3 and 4. DmC has about as much depth as a pancake unfortunately.

But mainly what I was trying to say is that one mildly interesting third-party exclusive isn't really enough for me. I'd have to wait and see what else comes out first.

Bayonetta offers many times the depth and satisfaction DMC4 does, and it's at least on par with DMC3 quality-wise. On hard difficulty, Bayonetta just sings and doesn't let up for its entirety. Probably the most involving combat system I've ever experience in a 3rd person brawler.

Of course there are plenty of other Wii U games I'm looking forward to, and I'm sure many more to be announced. But Bayonetta 2 - assuming it turns out well - is the closest thing a console has had to offer me in terms of a 'killer app' in a good while.

But mainly what I was trying to say is that one mildly interesting third-party exclusive isn't really enough for me. I'd have to wait and see what else comes out first.
    Ah, now it makes sense, at least with DMC3. I still disagree with calling Bayonetta overrated mind you but will happily agree that DMC3 is the superior game. That being said, Bayonetta 2 is a major draw to the Wii U for me personally, certainly won't be picking one up based solely on it, but it's probably my most anticipated game for the system at the moment.

As for DmC, I still find this quote from Saurian to be the most apt...
    Devil May Cry 3 is the 3D action equivalent to SF3 3rd Strike. DmC is the equivalent to Street Fighter: The Movie, that's EXACTLY the description that fits. Yet these dicks don't care. There are actually people blindly defending what's going on, they celebrate mediocrity (in fact it's as if they crave it). I remember when Street Fighter: The Movie hit the arcades; nobody ****ing touched it, nobody ****ing spoke about it and rightly so! What the **** has happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The Wii never delivered on the motion-control promise. Skyward Sword did late in it's life-cycle (following 2 hardware revisions of the controller) but that's about it.

I did however get plenty of joy from my Wii with the likes of Little King Story, Sakura Wars, Xenoblade Chronicles, Monster Hunter Tri etc. and there are plenty of other quality under-the-radar releases.

I just wouldn't be spending top dollar on another console when there are still so many excellent looking games in the pipelines for the current gen machines.

• Advertisement

That's a really great quote about DmC/SF: The movie. Sums up my experience with the game pretty well. I think I need a double dose of DMC3 and Bayo to get it out of my system.

Advertisement