Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did people feel burned by the Wii and hence reluctant to buy the Wii U?

2»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Devil May Cry 3 is the 3D action equivalent to SF3 3rd Strike. DmC is the equivalent to Street Fighter: The Movie, that's EXACTLY the description that fits. Yet these dicks don't care. There are actually people blindly defending what's going on, they celebrate mediocrity (in fact it's as if they crave it). I remember when Street Fighter: The Movie hit the arcades; nobody ****ing touched it, nobody ****ing spoke about it and rightly so! What the **** has happened?

Ah so DMC 3 is unbalanced mess of shallow hit confirm into super gameplay populated by emo's and freaks and where everyone has stupidly big feet.

While DmC has a video clip of Raul Julia as M.Bison running in the background.

I know which game I'm playing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

In a way I do feel burned by the Wii. The business model in 2007 was simple - where Sony had set their stall out with at proposed 10 year life cycle for the PS3, an all-encompassing media extravaganza with cutting edge tech that cost a fortune to manufacture but would come down in price as production ramped up and was refined, Nintendo went the other way - a cheap console that only tried to be a games box with "Then-Gen" tech that could be manufactured cheap from the get-go, made a profit from day one and had a fixed life of 5 years, at which point it would be replaced by a similarly cheap console so users could afford frequent low-cost upgrades instead of one massive shell out every 6-10 years.

Then they dropped a €400 bomb on me. Those mother fathers!

My Wii does not get a lot of use, because a year or so after I got mine my first kid was born, and opportunities to play it started drying up. Also, I seem to have missed a lot of the big titles (Monster Hunter, Last Story, Xenoblade all passed me by...) and a WiiU has too many ways to break it to put it in a house with a curious 4 year old and a psychotic 2 year old. I'll wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah gotta agree. At €299 for the proper, non-gimped version, the Wii-U would be a much more enticing prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I can't say I was ever disappointed with the Wii, it was the first console I bought since the Amiga 32 so the Wii would have had to be awfully terrible to trump that yolk.

We had great fun playing bowling but I brought the Wii to my nephews one day and didn't see it again for a year. I have it back now but haven't had any great urge to play it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I thought the pointer a much cooler feature than the actual motion controls, which is ironic given that that could've been implemented years before. Great for third-person shooting, with the rejigged RE4 an outstanding example. Sadly, the genre was never well represented on Wii, and FPSs didn't really work as elegantly (MotionPlus could be even better, removing the need to actually point at the screen, so I hope we see more experimentation involving that on the WiiU.)

So far, the WiiU seems to be following a similar pattern to the Wii, with very few games actually justifying the console's USP. Nintendoland probably the only one at this point, but Nintendo really need to prove that a tablet controller was worth including.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

FPS FPShmes! If you've never played PES on the Wii do so immediately. I'll wait here while you do it.

See? That's what they invented pointers for! I didn't play any after 2009, but jaysus - turning the standard Football game on it's head and making it into semi-RTS was inspired. Feck the through-ball button! Feck the "someone please make a run on goal" button. Let's all scribble on the screen like Johnny Giles on coke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I posted something similar to this just before the WiiU launched...

Of a core group of my friends, 7 of us have the Wii. I, like one other, also have a 360, another a PS3. The three of us will be buying the respective replacement system. Besides that, not one of us has any intention of picking up the WiiU. The last time I turned the Wii on was just after I bought the motion plus add-ons. Everyone else's machines have been equally neglected.

Do I feel burned? No. I had great time when the machine came out, it's just that there wasn't much beyond the core Nintendo games that appealed to me. The Wii catalogue wasn't helped by being swamped by absolute shovel-ware. Going into browse the shelves in Virgin/Game in the hopes of finding something different, you'd quickly be turned off by the likes of Noel Edmunds House party or some sort of bull****. The only thing that appeals on the U is ZombieU and I'm not buying a machine for one game. I don't see anything of interest on the horizon, and I've no time for the controller.

I should add, that we're all old ****ers now. All bar one of us has gotten married since the Wii launched and a few have two kids as well. So our free time has dropped off significantly; so the days of having a few consoles each has probably disappeared for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i think the wii u is the perfect answer to those like myself married with kids as you dont have to hog tv in evenings so keeps missus happy..

plus points the gamepad screen is amazing.

the games coming for it are class..

have a wii u now solely as my console of choice and i am 100 % happy with it tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

The Wii drew a lot of non-traditional gamers in with the novelty aspect. Once the novelty wore off it started to gather dust. I think this time around we won't be seeing these people back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Did I feel burned? Absolutely. Did it put me off? No but it did cause doubts.

Does the Wii have good games? Absolutely, but if you separate the console from the games (I know that sounds weird) the console itself is a huge let down. The graphics are well below par, the controllers don't work and are up there as one of the worst i have ever used. No HD output means it looks awful on a big screen.

Even the biggest Wii fan would be hard pushed to argue that any of the games they loved are better because they are running on a less powerful machine with worse graphics and worse physics.

Did it put me off buying a Wii-U? No. I picked one up recently and I am delighted with it, but it reinforces everything I felt was wrong with the Wii.

The Wii-U is a brilliant machine and if Nintendo had released it 3 or 4 years ago I would be confident that Nintendo would be back as co-leaders in the market rather than being very much in third place.

2D Mario in HD is sublime, I adore that game, ZombiU is brilliant too but what will hold it back is that it is again just too little too late in the next few months it will be very much a last gen console.

It will be hard to get people to take the plunge especially with the PS4 and Xbox 720 about to come out and both the PS3 and Xbox being just as good as it and boasting a massive choice of games that is never going to be matched by the Wii-U. Third party devs will not be rusing to release games on a console with a low player base as you can see from the list of upcoming games that the Wii-U has been left out of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Did I feel burned? Absolutely. Did it put me off? No but it did cause doubts.

Does the Wii have good games? Absolutely, but if you separate the console from the games (I know that sounds weird) the console itself is a huge let down. The graphics are well below par, the controllers don't work and are up there as one of the worst i have ever used. No HD output means it looks awful on a big screen.

Even the biggest Wii fan would be hard pushed to argue that any of the games they loved are better because they are running on a less powerful machine with worse graphics and worse physics.

Did it put me off buying a Wii-U? No. I picked one up recently and I am delighted with it, but it reinforces everything I felt was wrong with the Wii.

The Wii-U is a brilliant machine and if Nintendo had released it 3 or 4 years ago I would be confident that Nintendo would be back as co-leaders in the market rather than being very much in third place.

2D Mario in HD is sublime, I adore that game, ZombiU is brilliant too but what will hold it back is that it is again just too little too late in the next few months it will be very much a last gen console.

It will be hard to get people to take the plunge especially with the PS4 and Xbox 720 about to come out and both the PS3 and Xbox being just as good as it and boasting a massive choice of games that is never going to be matched by the Wii-U. Third party devs will not be rusing to release games on a console with a low player base as you can see from the list of upcoming games that the Wii-U has been left out of.

alot of these games that are coming out for ps3 and 360 but not wiiu because the wii u install base is too small right now cause its a new system and with a userbase of 3 million at the moment.Some developers will feel that at this moment of time its not worth the man power or money to bring these games over to nintendo just yet . who knows , when numbers will grow there might be more multiplats there for nintendo. They really are pushing for it with the wiiu than the wii.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

one of the problems with the Wii is Nintendo's reluctance to reduce their first party software prices, games that are a good few years old are still stupidly expensive to buy new: http://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-Galaxy-2-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BSA388/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359925160&sr=8-1&keywords=mario+galaxy+2

yeah they do budget versions but way, way after than they should. Mario Galaxy 1 was released as a budget title in 2011, it came out in 2007 ffs! fantastic game it may be but in an era where a game is half price sometimes 3 months after release its crazy to expect people to pay full whack for a 3 year old game.

I really should pick up Skyward Sword as its the only Zelda title (bar the cd-i ones) I havent played, but I'm fecked if I'm paying 50 quid for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's mainly the 2D Marios that keep their price. Skyward Sword is £18 on amazon and the first Galaxy is £20.

But it's games like the 2D Marios that sell to the "casual gamers" and as long as they're selling at that price, why lower the price? At least that's the way they look at it, as a business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Just doesnt have enough games for me to be interested in it. Not enough 3rd party support and I wouldn't spend the money waiting for the Zeldas and Marios to be released.

Dont know anyone whos bought one either which says alot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

Got the Wii a couple of years ago on Christmas day once the novelty of wii sports wore off not enough top class games for me... wii u no thanks I'll keep my cash for new playstation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

krudler wrote: »
    one of the problems with the Wii is Nintendo's reluctance to reduce their first party software prices, games that are a good few years old are still stupidly expensive to buy new: http://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-Galaxy-2-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BSA388/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359925160&sr=8-1&keywords=mario+galaxy+2

yeah they do budget versions but way, way after than they should. Mario Galaxy 1 was released as a budget title in 2011, it came out in 2007 ffs! fantastic game it may be but in an era where a game is half price sometimes 3 months after release its crazy to expect people to pay full whack for a 3 year old game.

I really should pick up Skyward Sword as its the only Zelda title (bar the cd-i ones) I havent played, but I'm fecked if I'm paying 50 quid for it

Very true. I used be shocked at the prices of old Wii games. Okay the shovel ware might go cheap but the AAA Nintendo stuff as you say seems to hold it's price both new and second hand.

I think it's indicative of how little really big AAA games were released for the machine when they can hold their value for that long. Most of the 360's and PS3 AAA games that were released 6/12 months ago can be had for €20-30 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Very true. I used be shocked at the prices of old Wii games. Okay the shovel ware might go cheap but the AAA Nintendo stuff as you say seems to hold it's price both new and second hand.

I think it's indicative of how little really big AAA games were released for the machine when they can hold their value for that long. Most of the 360's and PS3 AAA games that were released 6/12 months ago can be had for €20-30 now.

Actually I think it's more down to Nintendo who as far as I'm aware don't offer any form of price reduction to shops after a period of time, whereas other publishers reduce their prices after a while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Actually I think it's more down to Nintendo who as far as I'm aware don't offer any form of price reduction to shops after a period of time, whereas other publishers reduce their prices after a while.

They do offer credit deals if a game is performing badly. Other M was heavily discounted. Nintendo just know that their games after the initial rush are slow burners and will continue to sell. People laughed when Reggie said NSMB Wii would outsell Modern Warfare 2. He was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Good piece from Digital Foundry, which confirms what everyone (everyone not in denial, that is) already suspected - the Wii U is a little beefier than the 360 and PS3, but will trail the next-gen Microsoft and Sony offerings:
    ...with these numbers we can now, categorically, finally rule out any next-gen pretensions for the Wii U - the GCN hardware in Durango and Orbis is in a completely different league

Despite the raft of first-party titles revealed recently, it's getting harder to remain optimistic about the console's future. Marketing seems poor, third-party support remains poor, and major third-party was-going-to-be-exclusive Rayman: Origins has gone multiplatform (the Wii U doesn't even get a period of exclusivity, as the game's release is delayed to allow for a simultaneous debut on PS3 and Xbox.)

Meanwhile, we'll get a first look at the PS4 within weeks, with the Xbox surely not far behind; despite being first out of the blocks, the WiiU's honeymoon has been a very short one. Where's the urgency from Nintendo in response to these challenges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Anyone have a list of release dates for WiiU games coming out this year as I havent turned mine on to play something in about a month now. Such a shame really, I have it forever at the end of the day but I also want to play the damn thing!

Thank god for my 3DS and games coming for that.

Oh well, DS3 today Bioshock next month for my Xbox, keep me busy for a couple weeks.

I had/have no interest in RaymanL, but jaysus thats a bit of a kick in the face for Ninty, the game is made, just release it for the WiiU and spend the next 6 months porting it to PS3 and Xbox, unless, they are delaying it for mulity release due to it being crap(?) and would lose out in sales if it was release now for the Wiiu.

I have too many systems lol.

• Advertisement
Advertisement