Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping Yeast

Options
  • 30-01-2013 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

What's the recommended way of storing packets of yeast?
    I've bought a few packets of various cider/ale/wine yeasts that I wont be using immediately and I'm wondering if they need temperature control.

Should I keep them in a standard kitchen press or do they need to be kept in a fridge or does it matter at all? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I've always just kept them in kitchen press and have never had any issue with them. One that I had opened and not completely used I kept in the fridge for a while (a month, two maybe). Was fine. I washed some yeast there recently for the experience of it and I'm keeping that in the fridge. I've had four successful brews so far from the yeast that I washed.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

For dried yeasts one manufacturer (I think it's Fermetis) states unopened packets should be kept in the freezer.

Advertisement