Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In Fm, What do ye do?

Options
  • 30-01-2013 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭

Ok,

im a newcastle supporter but when i got fm2013 i started the game with wrexham in the blue square premier.
    I got promoted via the play offs(finished 3rd)then came 9th just ouside play off spot(league2) in my second season and sitting pretty top of league 2 2/3s through season 3 ...

Im starting to get job offers for higher placed teams and rejected them all but at some point there will be a tempting job.

What do people generally do? Bring a team as far as they can or hop from kob to job hoping to get to the top?!

I feel propper torn on whether to stay with my initial team or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Anytime i play i always pick my favourite team (liverpool so its quite a challenge anyway!)

i did once start off in lower leagues but seeing Liverpool news week in week out destroyed me.

I'd say in this save when i get Liverpool back where they belong i might look at other teams for a while and then move back again when whatever new manager fails in the future.

Ya know be the saviour

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Normally I take control of MUFC and try and dominate with them before getting bored of fm.

So with FM13 I took crawley first, got them promoted to the championship and realised the impossible task of taking them any further so took the west brom job when offered, brought them back to the prem and into the Champions league, winning a few league cups along the way.
    Now Im 10 seasons on as west brom and i think only the united job would make me leave, but they have guardiola so dont need me.
    At the minute Im trying to knock guardiola and united from the top (8 from the last 10 seasons they have won the league).

So maybe when I win the league with west brom I might be offered the united job, but will I want it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Currently managing Borissia Dortmund , after spells with gillingham and west brom.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've never managed Manchester united despite them being "my team". I've taken charge of Solihull moors, Luton, Galway united and waterford united.

I like a challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I've never managed Manchester united despite them being "my team". I've taken charge of Solihull moors, Luton, Galway united and waterford united.

I like a challenge!

utd fan eh

must remember not to thank any more of your posts

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

I started off with Wycombe in league two and got them to europe over a good few years, new smallish stadium, facilities etc. I want to start a challenge from non league up as well.

Job hopped in a previous game and ended up at Barca, only played a couple of seasons before I got bored, it's way too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

danniemcq wrote: »
    utd fan eh

must remember not to thank any more of your posts

:p

Tried that for a while but MB is a fellow LOI manager!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mc Love wrote: »
    Tried that for a while but MB is a fellow LOI manager!

We've shown more solidarity for our fellow league members of a simulated manager game and a website than the real people of the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Took Sheffield United to the premier league from league one and after 10 years we have won the league 3 years in a row. Only thing left is the champions league which we haven't really performed well so far.

If we win that I'll either take over at mufc who are a mess after they gave the managers job to mancini followed by Kenny daglish.
    If that job isn't offered il go to the LOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

FM12 - played a few seasons in LOI, then tried my hand at lower league England.

FM13 - have started a few saves, but none of them really grabbed me. Started a Dafuge challenge with FC United, wallowing at the bottom of the Blue Square North so took a break from it to tackle a Pentagon Challenge. Stated in South Africa as Witbank Spurs (in their division 1). Started late last night, have a crippling wage bill but a decent enough squad. Won my first game (Division 1 cup game) and then fell asleep.

Playing as the big teams (United/City/Barca) never really attracts me, I want to be able to grow to that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Ok,

im a newcastle supporter but when i got fm2013 i started the game with wrexham in the blue square premier.
    I got promoted via the play offs(finished 3rd)then came 9th just ouside play off spot(league2) in my second season and sitting pretty top of league 2 2/3s through season 3 ...

Im starting to get job offers for higher placed teams and rejected them all but at some point there will be a tempting job.

What do people generally do? Bring a team as far as they can or hop from kob to job hoping to get to the top?!

Make that promotion number 2!!! Finished 6th and won the playoff again!!!

No matter who comes knocking now, im staying put!!

Let have a crack off league 1 next ;)

Ps: director of football, love it! My fella has managed to sign most players ive identified

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Ok,

Speaking from pre-2013 experience (as I still cant get it to run on my laptop :( ).

I tend to stay with whatever team I'm at until I can take them no further. Found that, after 12 seasons and numerous tweaks and changes, that I just could not get my Plymouth team any further that the QFs in the Champions League, so I decided to take the next job offer no matter where it was.

I've had saves where I've been at the club for 30+ seasons as it was a constant challenge to stay at the top, but if I'm lording over the league for a long time, I'll resign and start freash somewhere else. And then with a face of anguish, watch on as my successor dismantles everything I put in place and watch them tumble down the league :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Played as Arsenal only the once. Won four cups in the first season. Started a game as QPR which I thought would be a challenge but ended up dominating after a few seasons, eventually winning seven trophies in the final season.

Playing as an established team is no challenge so now I always start unemployed or let the game pick a team for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

aaronh007 wrote: »
    And then with a face of anguish, watch on as my successor dismantles everything I put in place and watch them tumble down the league :(

Yeah I have subscribed to most news items from Limerick so I can see how they are doing - they are still mega rich because loads of players have been sold for millions and millions, but some cup finals have been lost which wouldn't have happened on my watch.

Finding it tough though in the Premiership - still havent been able to create a squad capable of competing with the top 4

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

Ok,

Ah, Wrexham. I'm managing them in my current save and have really enjoyed the challenge. I'm almost at the end of that cycle though as my all-Welsh team has just won the Premier League (it's 2027). When the CL trophy, the final piece of the jigsaw, makes its way to the Racecourse Ground I'll probably move on. More than likely though I'll just start a new game.

That's what I usually do. After achieving everything with a team, the thought of seeing them fall apart and drift into obscurity (or lose its Welsh-only policy in this case) is not something that appeals to me. Only once have I 'jumped ship', and even then I added another manager to manage my old club, Stabaek. The journeyman approach was fun though. In that save I went from Norway to Brazil via Russia and Spain. It may be interesting to move on if you don't feel overly attached to your squad, or of you don't think they will progress any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

currently manager of Garda A.F.C in the LOI

good lord the challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

WilcoOut wrote: »
    currently manager of Garda A.F.C in the LOI

good lord the challenge

How did you manage that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Ill normally play a game as Cork City when i get a new FM game and later ill pick a small team in England and try and bring them as far up the leagues as i can.

Playing as big teams like Man U or Chelsea has no appeal to me. In all my years playing FM ive never once started with a team from the Premiership or similiar leagues like La Liga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Still play FM2009.

Currently, managing Sunderland in 2014/15 season. Took over in the season before (I was managing Leeds previously) and got 4th, this season am 6 points clear with 12 games to go. I play with no real players too, makes it more fun.

Just trashed West Ham 8-0 as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I've got a question and I think its pretty straight forward. How do you stop playing the game if you havent an ounce of self restraint or willpower?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

miralize wrote: »
    I've got a question and I think its pretty straight forward. How do you stop playing the game if you havent an ounce of self restraint or willpower?

Delete a random file from the install folder? :D

Advertisement