Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Doctor?

Options
  • 30-01-2013 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hey guys.
    I'm just wondering if someone could tell me a decent doctor to go to. Male or Female. I just need someone to chat to about how I'm feeling lately but I'm not sure who would really listen and take me seriously and help me out.
    My doctor back home doesn't really take me seriously so I need to find someone here.

Thank you. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I go to Dr. John Wall in Whitehall Medical Centre. I find him excellent, and he's the kind of doctor who practices conveyor belt medicine; he tends to spend time with the patient instead of rushing them out the door. He is located just outside the Augustine/Abbeygate Street entrance to the Eyre Square Centre.

I have also heard a lot of people praise Dr. Dan Murphy in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

I highly recommend Dr Fergal Colohan down in the Medical Centre beside Tesco in Galway shopping centre. He is the nicest doctor,so friendly and doesn't rush you either. i go to him and a lot of my friends and family do too and they never have a bad word to say about him. He also isn't as expensive as most other doctor surgery's. Its a walk in clinic as well so don't need to make app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

amy85 wrote: »
    I highly recommend Dr Fergal Colohan down in the Medical Centre beside Tesco in Galway shopping centre. He is the nicest doctor,so friendly and doesn't rush you either. i go to him and a lot of my friends and family do too and they never have a bad word to say about him. He also isn't as expensive as most other doctor surgery's. Its a walk in clinic as well so don't need to make app.

I've gone to Dr Colohan, he's very good, very knowledgeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

I've also been to Dr. Colohan, he's a nice man and doesn't rush patients alright. I've only ever gone to him for infections or little things like that when I've not had chance to make an appointment or whatever.

However, for longer-term medical needs, I always go to Dr. Joan Davoren in the Sea Road Surgery - very kind and warm with patients and very up-to-date; she understands me anyway and I can't say that about most doctors I've been to, my old one back home would tend to laugh off mental health issues etc but Dr. Davoren treats them like any doctor should - like any other illness, with care and knowledge etc. Very pleasant to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

I recommend Dr Sinead Murphy in Galway Bay Medical Centre at the docks. Shes lovely and has all the time in the world for you. She helped/ is helping me out with depression and I find her brilliant. Shes helped me with organising appointments for theraphy and counselling along with medication aswell. I couldnt recommend her enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Sinead Murphy is really great & lovely too. I can't recomment her enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

The two in the Kingston Medical Centre there opposite Joyces Supermarket are brilliant. There's a man, Brian Osbourne is his name, and a woman, Kate Murphy, and they're both young (well, early thirties I suppose, I dunno exactly) and are both dead sound.

You can get appointments pretty easily, and there's parking round the back, so its handy.

My fella is quite happy to go to either of them and he has always haaaaaated doctors in the past & wouldn't go near any of them, so that shows you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The girls in Renmore Surgery are lovely, would recommend them to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

trio wrote: »
    The two in the Kingston Medical Centre there opposite Joyces Supermarket are brilliant. There's a man, Brian Osbourne is his name, and a woman, Kate Murphy, and they're both young (well, early thirties I suppose, I dunno exactly) and are both dead sound.

You can get appointments pretty easily, and there's parking round the back, so its handy.

My fella is quite happy to go to either of them and he has always haaaaaated doctors in the past & wouldn't go near any of them, so that shows you!

I've been to Kate Murphy before and have to say, I was very happy with her. She was v.good.

There's also a Dr.Durstiller in Knocknacarra Medical Centre who I have been to and she's very thorough.

Dr. Hurley, Dr. lundon and Dr. Faller in Crescent Medical Centre are also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I go to Dr. Babara O'Brien in the cresent, I find her really good and very approachable and easy to talk to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Eireann81

JillyQ wrote: »
    I go to Dr. Babara O'Brien in the cresent, I find her really good and very approachable and easy to talk to.

+1

I find her excellent although I think it's Barbara O'Beirne ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Eireann81 wrote: »
    +1

I find her excellent although I think it's Barbara O'Beirne ;)

your right sorry for the typo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭anoda_username

+1 on Dr Colohan in the Galway Shopping centre, hes very approachable and drop in clinic is great because you will always get seen as sometimes with other doctors could be waiting for a day for appointment even in energency and it is cheaper than other surgerys.

However I've always gone to castle medical centre in liosban since a child and would highly recommend dr Mary Egan and dr Therese Dillon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

+1 on Dr Colohan in the Galway Shopping centre, hes very approachable and drop in clinic is great because you will always get seen as sometimes with other doctors could be waiting for a day for appointment even in energency and it is cheaper than other surgerys.

However I've always gone to castle medical centre in liosban since a child and would highly recommend dr Mary Egan and dr Therese Dillon.

How long are you likely to be waiting to be seen if you go to the drop in clinic. Is it one of those places where you have to sit for an hr or two waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

It mightn't technically be in the city, but Dr. Caitriona Waters in Barna is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭anoda_username

How long are you likely to be waiting to be seen if you go to the drop in clinic. Is it one of those places where you have to sit for an hr or two waiting?

I usually don't have to wait any more than an hour. You could give your name to secretary and ask how long approx and then pop in to tesco etc for few mins. Usually in the other surgery I go to I would have an appointment but could be waiting over 45 mins over that time to be seen. Sometimes it's just pot luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dustie1

I have been attending the Doughiska Medical Centre for a few years now. Dr Marie O'Brien was my doctor and I couldnt recommend her more. Of late she hasnt been in the practice and i've seen her partner Dr Helen Howley who is also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭deliege

dustie1 wrote: »
    I have been attending the Doughiska Medical Centre for a few years now. Dr Marie O'Brien was my doctor and I couldnt recommend her more. Of late she hasnt been in the practice and i've seen her partner Dr Helen Howley who is also very good.

Dustie,

I fear we won't see Dr O'Brien for a long time as she's moved with her family to Australia.

She was also my doctor, I liked her, but was a bit disappointed when she "disappeared" as I was expecting to hear from her on some matters :rolleyes: Apparently she didn't tell any of her patients (know a few others) of her plans...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dustie1

Thanks deliege for the info.. I had been wondering if she'd moved to a new practice. I was thinking of following her to new surgery.. but not to australia. Thats a pity as she was a really excellent doctor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 claregalway1

dr colohan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

Another vote for http://www.galwaybaymedicalcentre.ie/ they are great with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Curiousity

Up to now I would have attended any regular gp for my ailments as they were usually only quick fixes of problems, but in last year or so became in position where needed a good reliable gp,I done my homework, I started to attend to dr <snip> on recommendation in barna in <snip> practice. You would not believe how above and beyond the call of duty she went for me starting from head to toe literally.however needed to attend again and was gutted to hear she would be away and attended dr <snip> (whom also had been recommended before) and found she too takes the exact approach as <snip>,They are extremely thorough, friendy,enthusiastic and an absolute credit to their profession and fantastic gp's.its quite a trek for me to go see these doctors but it's worth it cause having a primary physician of such a high standard is key, also their practice nurse is excellent and receptionist.couldn't recommend them enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please don't sign up to boards to use an old thread to recommend a business.
    It just makes everyone believe you are in fact the Dr promoting your own business.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement