Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - House for Sale in Killorglin Kerry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

actually on second thoughts, here is a rental for a 5 bed in the same area; I would deem this to be a nicer house mind you. Renting for €700 per month; http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1296595 using the rental yield method of valuing a house (monthly rent x 12 x 15) it would give a value of €126,000

€150k is about the market value of your house. While you might not agree, its the reality and the longer you keep the head in the sand the worse it will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sadie9

I would never buy a house from a private seller.
    If they are trying to save like 2-3k on seller's fees then they won't be negotiating on the price of the house. And most likely will be unrealistic and possibly unpleasant and difficult to deal with. It's very very difficult to discusss money when both parties are very emotionally involved. Get an estate agent, use the best most successful one in the area and just cough up the fee and get over it. They are experienced negotiators and when it comes to wringing another 5k or whatever out of buyers they are the guys to do it. There is a hell of a lot more to negotiations than someone making an offer and the seller deciding to take it or not. Also the sale process, managing traffic between solicitors etc itself is a right pain to manage and the estate agents look after all that stuff. There are a lot of great holiday houses in Kerry that are very expensive but there are a lot of mundane, nothing to write home about family houses also and yours falls into the latter category. However, Killorglin is a great town and has a more going for it that a lot of Kerry towns further inland. There are also some good employers in the area. You will sell it, you just need to get the estate agents in. good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

sadie9 wrote: »
    If they are trying to save like 2-3k on seller's fees then they won't be negotiating on the price of the house. And most likely will be unrealistic and possibly unpleasant and difficult to deal with. It's very very difficult to discusss money when both parties are very emotionally involved. Get an estate agent, use the best most successful one in the area and just cough up the fee and get over it. They are experienced negotiators and when it comes to wringing another 5k or whatever out of buyers they are the guys to do it. There is a hell of a lot more to negotiations than someone making an offer and the seller deciding to take it or not. Also the sale process, managing traffic between solicitors etc itself is a right pain to manage and the estate agents look after all that stuff. There are a lot of great holiday houses in Kerry that are very expensive but there are a lot of mundane, nothing to write home about family houses also and yours falls into the latter category. However, Killorglin is a great town and has a more going for it that a lot of Kerry towns further inland. There are also some good employers in the area. You will sell it, you just need to get the estate agents in. good luck with it.
    Are you suggesting here that an agent will be able to sell a house well above the level that the market is willing to pay, or that the house will sell at a realistic figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

doteen wrote: »
    Retake the 1st picture on a sunny day with a blue sky, as that looks depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I really don't think you will get that price up there to be honest. The houses that are opposite yours are a much bigger house and I remember when they were first built they were going for 190 k as a builders finish. I also happen to know they have had a real hard time getting the landscape And road finished up there.

I was up there about a year ago and I really feel the whole estate has a depressing feel to it . I'm really not trying to wind you up. We were looking at buying the ones in front of you but the price went up to much in end, and that was 200k back in 2005

I agree that 180 , 190 is most you will get but I wish you luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

We've done so much to it when we bought it as builder's finish.

There's your problem right there. It doesn't matter what you put into it - you have to price your house according to the current value. Looking at the pics one thing jumps out at me right away - those baby gates everywhere! Maybe put up different pics at this point to attract some interest, but photos that allow people to imagine what they could do with the house when they buy it.
    I am sorry to break it to you though, if I was looking for a house of this kind in this area, I would be offering 100K less.

For some perspective, for 150 more (which they probably won't get as it has been up for 46 days) is this place with amazing views:

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=499052

Rasmus wrote: »
    There's your problem right there. It doesn't matter what you put into it - you have to price your house according to the current value. Looking at the pics one thing jumps out at me right away - those baby gates everywhere! Maybe put up different pics at this point to attract some interest, but photos that allow people to imagine what they could do with the house when they buy it.
    I am sorry to break it to you though, if I was looking for a house of this kind in this area, I would be offering 100K less.

I think 100k less is a bit over the top but when they were new they were selling for 150 , correct me if I'm wrong , that's 150 builders finish but I agree you have to price at the current market and not what you've personally put into it .

Just so you know I'm not just being mr nasty. We bought our new house for 190 as a builders finish in 2005 and they were selling for 220 same a year later and some that were finished made 285. now would I value mine at that 285. Not a hope. I'd value my house now at 180/170 maybe a small bit less again.

Rasmus has a point . Look at that house in glencar , fab house. And I've seen a few more lately around area for 300 that are superb value for money when you think of what they would have made in the boom time .

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭olcod

For some perspective, for 150 more (which they probably won't get as it has been up for 46 days) is this place with amazing views:

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=499052

That place is stunning alright but in the arse end of nowhere very bleak in winter, nearest shop about 30 mins away by car, probably why its not being viewed.
    OP...sorry but your property was worth that at the hight of the boom, realistic 2013 price around the 115k, not a hope would you get anywhere near asking. Best of luck anyway, god loves a trier hey ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

olcod wrote: »
    That place is stunning alright but in the arse end of nowhere very bleak in winter, nearest shop about 30 mins away by car, probably why its not being viewed.
    OP...sorry but your property was worth that at the hight of the boom, realistic 2013 price around the 115k, not a hope would you get anywhere near asking. Best of luck anyway, god loves a trier hey ;)

Yeah not an accurate comparison really but my point was to show what's available! In any case, I don't want to derail the thread with it, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I think 100k less is a bit over the top but when they were new they were selling for 150 , .

completely irrelevant. What they sold for historically has no bearing on the market. Its worth what its worth, and it is worth 130 - 150k based on rental yield, and more importantly the local market.

As SMCarrick has pointed out earlier. Another house in the estate sold for 120k last year and the op is looking for 250k hes delusional.

Delusional sellers will never sell weather privately or via an EA. If something is priced correctly it will sell simple as.

• Advertisement

Yeah not an accurate comparison really but my point was to show what's available! In any case, I don't want to derail the thread with it, sorry!

Your dead right, its a buyers market out there at the moment, in the process of buying a place myself at the mo, was up for 240k three years ago and our offer of 100k was excepted just before xmas, buyers market ! . I really do feel for people who are trying to sell now after purchasing during the boom.

sadie9 wrote: »

Whilst I understand your thought process respectfully I believe your wrong. I will never use an EA to sell a house.

Why would I pay somebody to do something I can do myself ? Its not about being realistic or emotional about the house its about not wasting money on something I don't need.

Likewise Id never trade a car in at a garage id sell it privately. I'm not interested in paying for the convenience of it, that doesn't mean I will sell at an unrealistic level but id rather sell at the market value rather than the market value minus commission.

Whilst yes there is negotiation involved the key aspect of this process begins before you or anybody else looks at a house and thats the setting of the asking price.

Weather I'm selling privately or via an EA I'm saying hey Ive got this house I want to sell this is what I'm asking for it. You as a buyer know from that weather its in your financial area of interest and know weather its worth then viewing and making an offer.

To suggest that a private seller who would price a house at a realistic level would be too emotional to negotiate with a buyer is just illogical. You weed out the emotional sellers by asking price. This OP fits into that category so you wouldnt view, but hes no different than a seller who overprices with an EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I concur with others here, its overpriced. Also the stuff you put in doesn't look anything better than other houses even though you might have paid top dollar for it e.g. flooring looks normal, kitchen looks normal so your extra money isn't evident. And its Killorglin so prices are cheaper there.
    Take better photos. Theres much better angles for taking rooms to make them look bigger and child gates are terrible. Kitchen looks tiny in the photo, gloomy outside, park few cars in front to give impression of lots of space, and also what view is out the front.

If you personally value everything you put into the house, you won't sell as you will think everything is worth the same money as you put into it. Its like buying a car for 20k and expecting it to be worth 18k after 3 years.
    Reality is harsh I'm afraid and I feel for you but the reasons for no interest are obvious

P.S. had a look on google maps and I would not be impressed with the open plan fronts to be honest, had issues with it in the past where all the neighbours kids loved cycling through "my front" especially my garden and also hitting the car.

D3PO wrote: »
    completely irrelevant. What they sold for historically has no bearing on the market.

I was just drawing on local knowledge that house was 150 new, I also said that didn't matter what money was put into house ,that it was market value. Now I didn't check market value out on thoughts houses lately so maybe it is worth 100 k less than op is valuing it at :)

I was just drawing on local knowledge that house was 150 new, I also said that didn't matter what money was put into house ,that it was market value. Now I didn't check market value out on thoughts houses lately so maybe it is worth 100 k less than op is valuing it at :)

rental yield of similar in the area puts the house value at circa 150k.

Property price register of all sales in Knocklyne of which there are very few which in itself indicates a poor market, show the OP way out of kilter with reality.

Now granted prices don't indicate how many beds in the other houses sold but none have gone for anywhere close to 250k. Max sale achieved 211k last sale achieved 116k

Fact is the place is overpriced. I and others called that before the OP even posted details on the price wanted or the link.

Its overpriced, the decor (in my opinion and i don't mean to cause the op offense looks dated) I really cannot see a single cent of the ops apparent investment in the place.

the photos are poor (front picture taken on a dull day with paths wet hardly appealing, the child guards look terrible and unappealing, not every room is photographed, shadows on the back garden pics, poor photo angles not showing full rooms off, no floor plans.

By all means sell on your own but don't be surprised if you get no bites when you price unrealistically and market it badly

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

1st photo; dull
    2nd photo; get rid of the child gaurd and mat
    3rd photo; needs a wider shot during a nicer day
    4th photo; I can't see anything, and wonder what you are hiding.
    5th photo; nice shot. would look better if the the camera was held in line with something (wall, bed, etc) so it's not crooked looking
    6th photo; needs a wider shot, and also it's crooked
    7th photo; oh back downstairs now? better lighting than the 4th photo, but needs a wider shot
    8th photo; less dull than the front, but a blue sky would be nice
    9th photo; looks very good. maybe take the shot when the shadow of the house is not there?
    10th & 11th photos; good shots, but again, a photo with no shadow would look better

Light is everything. You want to make the house look brighter, as bright houses are appealing. If someone is looking at places, a dull overpriced house will get skipped, but a nice looking house over their budget will still get looked at.

The inside photos look like you just went around and took photos. You want to appeal to people, so get someone who has a proper camera to take shots (they can take in more light, which make the house look better), and stage all the shots, minus any baby gear. You do not want to tell a new couple "you need a new gate here, here, and there, and over here as well...".

Finally, take them in some order. Outside front, outside back, inside, then upstairs, so that the person will have an idea of the layout.

Photos missing;
    Walk in Wardrobe off Master Bedroom with radiator
    Bathrooms
    Ensuite bathroom (this could be a dealbreaker to a family with kids)
    Picture of rear shot from within a bedroom to show off the view. Sunny blue sky mandatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

whippet wrote: »
    actually on second thoughts, here is a rental for a 5 bed in the same area; I would deem this to be a nicer house mind you. Renting for €700 per month; http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1296595 using the rental yield method of valuing a house (monthly rent x 12 x 15) it would give a value of €126,000

€150k is about the market value of your house. While you might not agree, its the reality and the longer you keep the head in the sand the worse it will get.

I was just going to post the same thing, except this house for €700 a month- what a cracker for that money !
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=680607

OP I too would put a value of €150-160k, max €165k in the current market. That works out just below €1,000 per sqm which in this market is about right for a house that is in a rural area and not near to a major center of employment like Cork, Limerick.

I know that's not what you want to hear but the above calcultation is how much an investor would value it at based on the rental income it can achieve. An owner occupier would typically put a higher value on it than an investor but not by much.

Finally I'll echo what others said about the photograpphy and look of the house. A professional photographer which experience in shooting real estate is a must. The two main things affecting your lack of viewings is the price and the pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I would just say that you should use a wide angle lens. The lens you are using makes the place look small. Having said that you need to be realistic about your price.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 doteen

Monkeysnapper, place is finished. Each to their own about the houses but the bigger houses across from us are very different to mine and are only looking into the back of another estate. I've got the fabulous view that everyone is always talking about when they visit, and I'm not just saying that cause I live here. You won't get that anywhere else in Killorglin if you live in an estate.

the syco, thanks for all that advice, must get down to work on changing the photos all the advice helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Sadly you seem to value that view at € 100,000. Unfortunately no one else does.

smccarrick wrote: »
    5 Knocklyne Close for 114k. This house wasn't finished, that's why so cheap.
    3 Knocklyne Close was sold for nearly 212,000 in 2011.

Rasmus has a point . Look at that house in glencar , fab house. And I've seen a few more lately around area for 300 that are superb value for money when you think of what they would have made in the boom time .

Oh yeah fab house, but it all depends really isn't it on what people want too and where they want to live. Do they want to be central to everything or in the middle of nowhere. Its all location for some people and of course the right price. Very hard though to compare one house in a housing estate to one in the country, maybe bigger etc but may not be worth more than the one in an estate. Hard to say really. Its not just black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flintash

I 'm not quite agree with previous posters regarding price and same surprised with people buying property from the pictures. If you really NEED to sell the house , follow lads advice and sell what sells for- low price might attract people even if they never thought of buying in that location. I had a quick look at daft mapview and based on this I dont think you asking too much. What I say, make the best price (lowest i mean) and if your house doesnt sell first, then do worry about it. Maybe there is no buyers out there at all at all. Why would you sell for peanuts tomorrow, if you could get little bit more a year later.

D3PO wrote: »
    rental yield of similar in the area puts the house value at circa 150k.

Property price register of all sales in Knocklyne of which there are very few which in itself indicates a poor market, show the OP way out of kilter with reality.

Now granted prices don't indicate how many beds in the other houses sold but none have gone for anywhere close to 250k. Max sale achieved 211k last sale achieved 116k

Fact is the place is overpriced. I and others called that before the OP even posted details on the price wanted or the link.

Its overpriced, the decor (in my opinion and i don't mean to cause the op offense looks dated) I really cannot see a single cent of the ops apparent investment in the place.

the photos are poor (front picture taken on a dull day with paths wet hardly appealing, the child guards look terrible and unappealing, not every room is photographed, shadows on the back garden pics, poor photo angles not showing full rooms off, no floor plans.

By all means sell on your own but don't be surprised if you get no bites when you price unrealistically and market it badly

Knocklyne isn't a metropolis and there are not very many houses for sale. You might help me though D3PO and tell me where you got the figures of Max sale achieved 211k last sale achieved 116k. It would help me.

Well my opinion on photos and decor is that you really have to visit a house to see what it's really like. Decor is a very personal thing and thankfully we al have our own opinions and tastes, life would be boring if we all like the same decor/painting etc in houses. I don't think people when they buy a second hand house would keep the same decor entirely. Believe me a lot of investment was put into this house, as it was a 3 bedroom house when we bought it as a builders finish and we converted into a 5 bedroom house and decorated it very well. But again decoration is different for everyone.

Whole reason of this post was for advice and its great I've got some good advice, will keep me busy now for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

the syco, thanks for all that advice, must get down to work on changing the photos all the advice helps.

A few extra things I'd add if you're going to retake the photos - get rid of things like the sound system on the kitchen counter - in fact I'd pretty much remove everything except maybe the knife block and the breadbin (which I'd push over to the left corner). Take the fridge magnets down. In particular, move the plastic drainer out of sight. We all know these are necessary parts of living, but house hunting photos are aspirational - people want to think "If I bought that lovely house, it would be as clean and uncluttered as that all the time". I'd also add something like a nice bowl of fruit/flowers somewhere in the kitchen, but not too in your face.

Beside the stove, drop the curtains down as well as removing the fireguard.

In the bedrooms, iron the duvet covers and pillow cases, and make sure there isn't a crease or a wrinkle to be seen - you want the beds to look like they've just been made up in a hotel. Hide the teddy bear.

I agree with other suggestions to include floor plans.

the_syco wrote: »
    1st photo; dull
    2nd photo; get rid of the child gaurd and mat
    3rd photo; needs a wider shot during a nicer day
    4th photo; I can't see anything, and wonder what you are hiding.
    5th photo; nice shot. would look better if the the camera was held in line with something (wall, bed, etc) so it's not crooked looking
    6th photo; needs a wider shot, and also it's crooked
    7th photo; oh back downstairs now? better lighting than the 4th photo, but needs a wider shot
    8th photo; less dull than the front, but a blue sky would be nice
    9th photo; looks very good. maybe take the shot when the shadow of the house is not there?
    10th & 11th photos; good shots, but again, a photo with no shadow would look better

Light is everything. You want to make the house look brighter, as bright houses are appealing. If someone is looking at places, a dull overpriced house will get skipped, but a nice looking house over their budget will still get looked at.

The inside photos look like you just went around and took photos. You want to appeal to people, so get someone who has a proper camera to take shots (they can take in more light, which make the house look better), and stage all the shots, minus any baby gear. You do not want to tell a new couple "you need a new gate here, here, and there, and over here as well...".

Finally, take them in some order. Outside front, outside back, inside, then upstairs, so that the person will have an idea of the layout.

Photos missing;
    Walk in Wardrobe off Master Bedroom with radiator
    Bathrooms
    Ensuite bathroom (this could be a dealbreaker to a family with kids)
    Picture of rear shot from within a bedroom to show off the view. Sunny blue sky mandatory.

Thanks for this, very helpful. Photos were taken before Christmas, so of course we didn't have our blue skies. Hmm let me see now, when will we see blue skies again I wonder. Yeah will make changes alright, now all I need is bright sunny days, for the outside pics & blue sky. :)

Thanks for this, very helpful. Photos were taken before Christmas, so of course we didn't have our blue skies. Hmm let me see now, when will we see blue skies again I wonder. Yeah will make changes alright, now all I need is bright sunny days, for the outside pics & blue sky. :)

I know a good photographer just outside town if its any help to you, he's only just starting out but he did my friends wedding and the pics were fantastic, he really knows his stuff, anyway if your interested pm me and i'll get his number for you. In the meantime all the best with the sale.

Doteen: its your house and your sale and I wish you the best in it. Can I just say, and this is meant in the nicest possible way, but i have looked at a good few houses and I am willing to pay what its worth currently but from reading your responses on this page, you are typical of the seller who is convincing themselves that they can't loose money on their house and its worth all what effort, sweat and money you put in when times were better. You can proclaim about the views, great quality, build work, effort but the average punter will walk into your house and go yes or no straight off if a) the house is for them and b)price is right. Unfortunately that type of seller is not selling.
    I sold my house, I made a loss, I didn't like it and i was sorry to see my efforts and hard work gone. However the price was all it was worth.

I hope you do get your price but if I was a betting person, I would not bet on it.

• Advertisement

Believe me a lot of investment was put into this house,

unfortunately doesn't matter a bit, maybe 5-10k only. Turnkey isn't worth twice the price anymore. Also it will be compared with 4-5 bed houses in the locality, not within the estate.

Advertisement