Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - House for Sale in Killorglin Kerry

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

doteen wrote: »
    5 Knocklyne Close for 114k. This house wasn't finished, that's why so cheap.
    3 Knocklyne Close was sold for nearly 212,000 in 2011.

The fact that 2 doors up made 100k a year earlier- is totally irrelevant. In the intervening period of time- 5 Knocklyne Close only made 114k. I'm not making this figure up- its there for all to see on Propertypriceregister.ie (which are the advised prices declared to the Revenue Commissioners by the buyer's solicitor).

Prices really are falling- and are continuing to fall. If you're not willing to accept that- well, I hope you don't have any need or want to move for a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 doteen

smccarrick wrote: »

The fact that 2 doors up made 100k a year earlier- is totally irrelevant. In the intervening period of time- 5 Knocklyne Close only made 114k. I'm not making this figure up- its there for all to see on Propertypriceregister.ie (which are the advised prices declared to the Revenue Commissioners by the buyer's solicitor).

Prices really are falling- and are continuing to fall. If you're not willing to accept that- well, I hope you don't have any need or want to move for a long long time.
    5 Knocklyne Close wasn't a built house that's why so cheap, I'm only up the road from it, price register don't tell U that

TheDriver wrote: »
    Doteen: its your house and your sale and I wish you the best in it. Can I just say, and this is meant in the nicest possible way, but i have looked at a good few houses and I am willing to pay what its worth currently but from reading your responses on this page, you are typical of the seller who is convincing themselves that they can't loose money on their house and its worth all what effort, sweat and money you put in when times were better. You can proclaim about the views, great quality, build work, effort but the average punter will walk into your house and go yes or no straight off if a) the house is for them and b)price is right. Unfortunately that type of seller is not selling.
    I sold my house, I made a loss, I didn't like it and i was sorry to see my efforts and hard work gone. However the price was all it was worth.

I hope you do get your price but if I was a betting person, I would not bet on it.
    I know exactly what U are saying and I think too people have to come and look at a house if they are interested some bit. I know when I walked into this house over 8 years ago and it wad builder finish I knew this house was for me. Circumstances have changed since, but thanks for reply, appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Fabulous view! Arent you lucky waking up to that every morning.

Okay so I'm from Dublin - but there is just no way I'd pay €250k for a country 5 bed dormer bungalow (code for small/half a house IMO :))

Best of luck op. You definitely need to upgrade your pics - with new pics yell definitely get viewers. But I'd wager, still not a sale of this price :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Your photos and your blurb.

Your SELLING your house, so sell it.
    Make the sales pitch.

The first photo is the worst. To be frank the house just looks grim.
    Get your hands on a decent camera*, familiarise yourself with how it works, then on the next sunny day take 1000+ photos of your house.

The first shot, of the outside is the most important, and the current shot you have is dire. You need to dress the front of the house somehow. Some dramatic flowerpots on each side of the door and maybe an ornament on the inside of one of the windowsills. Experiment with shots that are slightly off centre, crouch down, stand on a chair, stand further back, try with the blinds up and down and the lights on and off inside.

The hallway shot, take away the stair gates, try different angles again, try putting a (hidden) light under the stairs, try taking that rug away, I'd also consider seeing if you can put some sort of storage there. The storage would need to be carefully done, it shouldn't look squashed in or cluttered, but I look at that hallway and I want a small chest of drawers or a few coat hooks or a bookshelves under the stairs. Consider taking it looking at the main entrance.

The kitchen shots - y'argh, think about lighting them for gods sake. No fire guards, get rid of the dishpan, take away one of the high stools, consider your angles. . . I also have no real feel for the size of the entire room. It looks like there might be a table and chairs in the corner?

The bedrooms - fix the duvets, add some pillows and cushions, I'd suggest buying brand new duvet covers if you can. The angle in the red bedroom is all wrong.

The sitting room - again with the fire guards. The clutter on the mantle piece, the rug in front of the fire looks a bit worn, but the run in the hall might work well there. I have no feel for the size of the room.

The garden - it's a big garden and the view is fabulous, but you've done nothing with the garden, so I wouldn't use so many shots on it. One of the bay and maybe one of the view from inside the house. I'd also be tempted to get my hands on a neighbours swing set and put it up in one corner, just to break the monotony of the grass up a little.

If you can get your hands on Photoshop, then do and use it to add sharpness/enhance the colours in photos slightly.
    If you can't then try one of the other free software, something like Picasa will let you do a lot.

I'd also download google sketch up and do up a floorplan of the house.

Then rewrite your blurb twenty times over until you get it right. Look at other listings and copy and paste the stuff you like, then merge it all together until you get something that works.

*a professional photographer would be preferable, but I'm guessing you don't want to go that far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

5 Knocklyne Close wasn't a built house that's why so cheap, I'm only up the road from it, price register don't tell U that

Ok- 5 Knocklyne Close wasn't a 'built house'- however how does it differ from 3 Knocklyne Close? The point I was trying to make was-

1. to show you what your neighbours property is actually selling for but even more pertinently

2. give you an indication of just how prices achieved in the area have fallen so rapidly (given- the low volume may skew this- but its a single example of neighbouring property having fallen 40% over the course of a single year).

You can go on about your view and your builder's finish until the cows come home- unfortunately the fact of the matter is you have no viewers- because potential purchasers (who are few and far between)- see your property as overpriced- even more so now that there is clarity about what your neighbours properties have achieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

whippet wrote: »
    OP ... The last house sold in that area according to the property price register was sold for €195k ... That was back in 2011 !!!

This.

The house just isnt worth quarter of a million. Based on the 195k sale in your estate in 2011 Id be thinking more like 160k or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

In fairness to the OP, some of the houses in this estate seem to have three beds and this one is bigger at 5 beds and 2000sqft.
    It's something the OP needs to emphasize more in the blurb.

Still not worth E250k, but probably worth a little more than some of the other houses that have sold locally.

I'm not convinced that people won't view a house just because of a price tag these days.
    Most people who are looking will go and view the house if it appeals to them, then put in an offer at whatever they think is appropriate.

At the very least I'd suggest dropping the price to E245k though. It sounds a lot lower than E250k, and maybe it's just me, but I always think a number ending in a 5 sounds more like a seller who's looking to sell, then a NAMA's property that's been left on DAFT for the last 3 years.

Oh, one thing I meant to add in my original post. I don't think you need a photo of every room, but you do need one of the main bathroom.
    The big things that are costly to fix are the kitchen and bathroom, so people feel reassured if they look like they don't need to be touched. After that what matters is the size and aspect of the rooms. I disagree that you need a shot of every room but you do need - kitchen, dining area, sitting room, bathroom, main bedroom and at least one other bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Hi OP,
    I have to say I largely concur with most of what you have been told above. Another couple of things to consider ...

Its been on sale a couple of months in a traditionally quiet time of the year but, added to that, you've just missed the end-of-MIR mini-frenzy and the market is probably taking a bit of a breather from that as well. You can look at this two ways. Just wait it out with the asking price as is and eventually, potential buyers will show themselves as we head into spring. Or, if you what that quick sale, price it aggressively and get the few punters that are looking now interested.

Not everyone needs a five bedroom house. You're slightly outside the sweet spot of where the biggest demand is. A typical first-time-buyer couple with tight financing is only going bother to look at 3 (maybe 4) beds that are inevitably significantly less than your asking price - your ad is probably not even showing up on their Daft searches.

Having looked at the map on Daft, there is a huge number of houses for sale in and around Kilorglin. I make it over a hundred in what is not a big town. Obviously these all vary greatly in quality, size and asking price but there is no doubt that you have lots of competition. Not having an EA in these circumstances may be a serious disadvantage?

I agree that you could redo the photos. You obviously went to some effort as I don't believe a house with a toddler can be kept that neat normally! ;) But loose the guards and get the lighting right. Is that a stove in the red-painted room? Light the stove and use the flash, you can barely make it out. Have at least one picture of every room. Not doing so raises fears that you're hiding something and gives the impression that the house is smaller than it really is. Its 2000 sq.ft.? You'd never know it from the pics. For the same reason, use a wider-angle lense. Seriously. Estate Agents are notorious for using ultra-wide angle shots to make hovels look like mansions but, at the same time, potential buyers browsing Daft or MyHome are tuned in to pictures looking like this and a wide angle also serves the purpose of showing you a large chunk of a room rather than one corner. Include a floor plan layout if you can - this nearly always looks good for large houses. Photographing a north-facing garden in winter is a bit tricky, you might be better doing it of an overcast day to de-emphasise the shadows. I'd also go down to the hedge and take a photo of the view alone - unlike one opinion above, I think the view is spectacular!

That all said, I think you may struggle to get 250k. Yes, other house in your estate are seeking slightly less or more. But I also note that these are still on the market. Theere are no sales in your estate registered since 2011 and they were for < 200k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Your photos and your blurb.

Your SELLING your house, so sell it.
    Make the sales pitch.
    Your post largely reflects my own thinking. I suppose there's another way of saying this particular bit:
    "Get a good EA !"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Great professional photos and minimalist decor will only take you so far - it could get buyers in to look at the house which they probably won't with the current images. The photos won't sell the house though and no-one will want to view it at this price. Leaving a price off altogether would be better than the off-putting 250k. (You could even try this for a week and see if anyone calls).

Today, you would be lucky to sell your house at all, let alone for the out of date price. It is difficult to sell a house you have invested money, time and effort in OP, especially if it for less than you want or expected. It is even harder when your home has devalued. You are living in cloud cuckoo land though if you feel someone will see your house as you do and thinks the house is worth the asking price. Even crazier if you are holding out for a mystery buyer in Europe or America.

I think you are right to wonder if an estate agent would help with the sale. They would - by pricing the house according to the market.
    Additionally, from what I see on Google Maps Knocklyne Close is a street outside of the estate - this kind of mature property will naturally sell better than an 'identikit' house on an estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

Noce house Doteen. I can't add to what the others have said but I think a few more pictures on a sunny day may be helpful. You have a great view so you can take a good picture of that too. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

look OP the fact is its overpriced. Your in denial, you will not sell your house at that price weather you have an EA or not.

If you want to sell price it realistically. EVERYBODY on this thread concurs your well overpriced except you, yet you still try and convince yourself your right and were all wrong. Having had ZERO viewings backs it up, but hey come on here ask for help then ignore it.

P.S You still have never posted where you came up with your valuation of the property.

D3PO wrote: »
    look OP the fact is its overpriced. Your in denial, you will not sell your house at that price weather you have an EA or not.

If you want to sell price it realistically. EVERYBODY on this thread concurs your well overpriced except you, yet you still try and convince yourself your right and were all wrong. Having had ZERO viewings backs it up, but hey come on here ask for help then ignore it.

P.S You still have never posted where you came up with your valuation of the property.

D3PO, I'm not ignoring any advice, I'm taking everyone's advice on board. Sure that's why I put up the post to get feedback. I'm valuing the house from what others have sold and on property register. I've already stated this.

D3PO, I'm not ignoring any advice, I'm taking everyone's advice on board. Sure that's why I put up the post to get feedback. I'm valuing the house from what others have sold and on property register. I've already stated this.

But how did you come up with the figure of 250 from the knowledge that a house down the road from you sold for 212 almost two years ago ? This does not make sense.

No house has sold for 250k on the property register in your estate or even close to it. So where the heck are you getting your logic from ? Explain to me how you think that your house is worth that ?

You still disagree with us all that you are overpriced, therefore yes you are ignoring advice to drop your asking price.

No house has sold for 250k on the property register in your estate or even close to it. So where the heck are you getting your logic from ? Explain to me how you think that your house is worth that ?

You still disagree with us all that you are overpriced, therefore yes you are ignoring advice to drop your asking price.
    I didn't say my estate I said around the area. Maybe on the asking price but I'm not ignoring all the other very good advice people have been so good to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I didn't say my estate I said around the area. Maybe on the asking price but I'm not ignoring all the other very good advice people have been so good to offer.

Fact of the matter is that the asking price is the most important thing when it comes to getting potential buyers in the door. Then the house itself will determine if they put in a bid or not. No buyer is going to look at your house and pay an extra 60-100k for the view!

It has happened a few times over the last year where a house priced lower than the asking has achieved 25% over it as bidders get in a frenzy! An example of this can be seen in the allsops auctions. I doubt 75% of those properties would have sold had their reserves been set closer to or at their selling price. In one auction a sizeable amount of the potential purchasers walked out when a cheap house in Leitrim was withdrawn. It would easily have gone for twice it's reserve.

The only way if you sell your house at that price is if fexco announce in the morning that they're going to have 1000 new jobs in the next 3 years.

Facepalm. Seriously get an EA you dont have the logic or capabilities to sell this house on your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I'm looking to buy a home in the near future ( please don't pm me if you have something )
    I don't ring price on application ads ill tell you that
    The photos don't matter to me
    The private sale dosent matter
    Only the price and whether the seller understands what has happened ie that property has gone up and is now coming back to normal
    If they don't seem to understand then there is little I can do
    The home I'm most interested in at the minute is asking 20% of what it was asking originally.
    Btw there are no stupid millionaires that spend more on stuff than "normal" people in fact millionaires are millionaires because they understand value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I know exactly what U are saying and I think too people have to come and look at a house if they are interested some bit.

Nobody is going to come and look at it. Not one person.
    It's POA, and the photos are depressing.
    You can insist until you're blue in the face that people have to see it, but you're not even going to get viewings unless you wise up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Tigger wrote: »
    I don't ring price on application ads ill tell you that

to be fair, I am in the same boat as tigger and also know your pain because I sold my own house but I concur, I ring a POA which usually ends up being an expensive price and I really don't bother going to look at a house because no matter how much of a "feel" I get for the house, the pure maths would mean I would be a fool for throwing away my money.
    Only once was a POA actually a decent price, house was still crap though.

The problem here is that you think POA is going to reel them in but most people looking have already looked at your ad and discounted it so POA is not going to stimulate interest.
    There is only 1 fact that you must admit and cannot deny: You have NO viewings, ZERO. And the only honest opinion you are getting here is that none of us would even look at it at that price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

OP, don't listen to these people. Your house is fantastic. You can tell how much work and money you guys put into it, which will always add the same amount if not more value to your house. Also the view is spectacular and easily worth an extra 80,000. I'm not looking in that the area, but I would happily fork over a quarter of a million for your house as a holiday home.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Take some pictures when it's sunny out. And knock 70k off the price also. I'd take the ad down till you make those changes, think of the relaunch as a fresh start.

OP, don't listen to these people. Your house is fantastic. You can tell how much work and money you guys put into it, which will always add the same amount if not more value to your house. Also the view is spectacular and easily worth an extra 80,000. I'm not looking in that the area, but I would happily fork over a quarter of a million for your house as a holiday home.

ah bless the OP thanked your post he hasn't realized you were being sarcastic. :eek:

ah bless the OP thanked your post he hasn't realized you were being sarcastic. :eek:

Hmm bless you too, assuming that the OP is a HE

Suggestion that this thread be moved to personal issues as the OP appears to be suffering from P.V. D. S.
    (Property Value Denial Syndrome)

Rasmus wrote: »
    Suggestion that this thread be moved to personal issues as the OP appears to be suffering from P.V. D. S.
    (Property Value Denial Syndrome)

Suggestion that your posts be moved to the comedy section as you are just too funny. But as always appreciate your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

@Doteen: if your house is not overpriced then why do you think no one has even viewed it, never mind put an offer in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

@doteen

Why have you changed your Ad to 'Price on Application' .... this is something which will probably attract even less interest. You seem to be ignoring all the advice which you came on here seeking.

Realising your property is worth a fraction of what you think it is, isn't a nice experience but one which you have to accept and find a work around.

Advertisement