Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - House for Sale in Killorglin Kerry

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

OP, don't listen to these people. Your house is fantastic. You can tell how much work and money you guys put into it, which will always add the same amount if not more value to your house. Also the view is spectacular and easily worth an extra 80,000. I'm not looking in that the area, but I would happily fork over a quarter of a million for your house as a holiday home.

Now that's sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

POA is a terrible idea, real people don't have time to deal with that kind of bull. Anyone I know always sets a nominal minimum price in searches for houses and cars so they don't have to wade through all the POA ads.

There's an old saying in sales "Be proud of your price" you should be happy to shout the price at people.

If you hide the price, people will assume you're embarrassed by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Just to give you an idea of what POA really means. Check out http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=670475 and tell me what you think it should be priced at, more or less.

I know the answer, but I didn't get it from the EA, who didn't answer numerous e-mails, or return my calls from outside the house.:rolleyes: I'll tell you after a few guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Jesus OP, POA? Really?? Are you trying not to sell this property??? Is this some sort or Brusters Millions thing?

OP, POA is for houses that have swimming pools in D4. POA, is for houses that come with staff. You are mad setting it to POA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

Gosub wrote: »
    Just to give you an idea of what POA really means. Check out http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=670475 and tell me what you think it should be priced at, more or less.

I know the answer, but I didn't get it from the EA, who didn't answer numerous e-mails, or return my calls from outside the house.:rolleyes: I'll tell you after a few guesses.

€95k ?

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    €95k ?
    Higher. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Zulu wrote: »
    Jesus OP, POA? Really?? Are you trying not to sell this property??? Is this some sort or Brusters Millions thing?

OP, POA is for houses that have swimming pools in D4. POA, is for houses that come with staff. You are mad setting it to POA.

POA is for people who dont have to ask. People who dont have to ask are not buying overpriced houses in Kilorglin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

whippet wrote: »
    €95k ?
    Higher. :D

Are we guessing what it should be priced at or the asking price?

Rasmus wrote: »
    Are we guessing what it should be priced at or the asking price?
    Go for asking price. :)

Go for asking price. :)

Asking price 420, sell for 145 - 190.. hard to judge without sufficient interior shots and numerous beach shots! Good location though..

• Advertisement

Asking price 420, sell for 145..
    Not even close.

Not even close.

has it been sold already?

has it been sold already?
    No, and it won't sell at the asking price, a bit like the OP, but on steroids.

No, and it won't sell at the asking price, a bit like the OP, but on steroids.

Ok, well it is a nice house and someone's dream home back in the boom. With the solar panels, stream, size, proximity to sea etc I'd say they are looking for 1.2m.

Well, not 1.2M, but 850K. Look at the downsides. Right beside road, parking chaos causing access problems in Summer, near nothing, except the beach.

Having seen it in the flesh, I'd say it was worth 200K max. My feeling is that the bank has ordered it on to the market and the owner doesn't want to sell it.

Now back to the OP. This is what POA really means.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A steal at €990,000 :pac:

Downstairs open plan; expensive to heat?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

I'd agree with the majority that the price is way too high. Even with the world's best estate agent there is no way you are going to get that sort of money, especially when you look at the what else is available on the market.

The fact that you are not even getting viewings is proof of this. People will look online and see what houses would fall in their budget. In the vast majority of cases they are not going to consider a house that falls outside their budget.
    doteen wrote: »
    smccarrick wrote: »
    5 Knocklyne Close for 114k. This house wasn't finished, that's why so cheap.
    3 Knocklyne Close was sold for nearly 212,000 in 2011.

As regards 5 Knocklyne Close, anyone looking to buy a house in the area is going to check the Property Price Register. They are going to see 5 Knocklyne Close was sold for €114k and that's what they are going to remember. They arent going to know that the house wasnt finished, so they are going to compare your house which is being priced at more than twice that amount. People are going to see 2 Knocklyne Close sold for 212,000 in 2011 and they are going to say someone overpaid considerably. It might be slightly unfair but thats the way people will think and it will have an affect on the value of your house.

You seem to be putting a large emphasis on the view. The view is nice but there are lots of houses in Kerry with nice views. In the current environment I think the view falls into the category of a nice extra but its not something that adds much in the way of value. In the current circumstances, I find it hard to imagine a situation where someone looking to buy a five bedroom house would pay more than €5k for the view.

Without wanting to sound harsh, I think you still have somewhat of a Celtic Tiger valuation in your heart on your house and it can be emotionally hard to accept something that you invested a serious chunk of money, time and effort is worth a lot less than you spent on it.
    Thanks for the advice. I understand about overvaluing the house, but I've looked at all that and we actually are not overpricing it. Done all the research and its at the right price. Also I suppose so many houses for sale too now.

If it was at the right price you would have had viewings.

When you're selling a house the market value of a house is only what someone else will pay for it. What you paid for it, what you invested in it, what you value it at counts for nothing. What counts is what someone else is willing to pay. Even if you improve the ad enormously, the price is going to continue to be a major stumbling block.

Maybe putting the house POA might be good in the long-term as you might get some enquiries. When they only get in touch once when they hear what you are looking for you might start to see that what you are valuing the house at is too high.

Alternatively you can rely on the winning the lottery type strategy of waiting for a millionaire looking for a holiday home.
    Who knows some millionaire might buy it as a holiday home, which would be ideal as that. We'll just wait and see!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I like the house, and I can see that there is a lot of money gone into it, but that does not mean it added value. it is on top of the other houses, if someone is going to buy in the country, they'll buy in the country, not a suburb in the country, no benefits of the town and no privacy of the country, worst of all worlds. I could see it getting maybe 150k, on a good day, take a look around Killarney, which is generally 50-75% more than Killorglin in price, see what you get in Killarney for 250k.

My Mother added a bar to her house-10k, she thought it would add value, when she got it valued, the bar added no value, I mean in all fairness who is going to pay 10k more for a house that has a 5 ft bar, no matter how nice the bare is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I like the house, and I can see that there is a lot of money gone into it, but that does not mean it added value. it is on top of the other houses, if someone is going to buy in the country, they'll buy in the country, not a suburb in the country, no benefits of the town and no privacy of the country, worst of all worlds.

I couldn't agree with this sentiment more. For anyone who has grown up in a one-off house on half an acre in the country a house like this would not appeal simply because it lacks the primary reason you live in the country- privacy.

There are a lot of celtic tiger developments like this in scenic areas like Kerry and other counties on the west coast. Rather than houses getting half an acre to give them a decent sized garden and some privacy the developers pulled a three card trick and went with this more 'open plan' kind of development so they could fit more houses into the same space.

By and large the people who bought these were out of towners looking for a holiday home or a move to the country. Anyone who has lived and grown up in a one-off house (as I have) would not find the OP's house attractive due to privacy issues, thus limiting the market even further.

OP I haven't even looked but I have no doubt in my mind I could buy a half or three quarter acre site for less than €50k in Killorglin, complete with full planning permission. From there builders would be biting my arm off to get the contract to build and I reckon it could easily be done for €1k-1,200 per sqm. So for less that what you are asking for your house I could have my own house, brand new and built to my own exact specs on my own land with a hedge border, thus giving me the privacy I want. Why would anyone pay €250k for your house when they can have their own one for a lot less ?

Advertisement