Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1998 Micra Emissions

Options
  • 30-01-2013 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hey

I have a 1998 March (Japanese import Micra). Up until this year it really never had any significant issues. 110k kms on the clock.

Also, I hadn't driven it much in 2012. I live and work in the same town so I walk to work, and my wife has a nice car, so we use that when we're going anywhere far.

I do need a car for the next 3 months or so to get to and from a hospital on a regular basis.

I noticed when I put it back on the road that the muffler was loud, and on inspection, rusted. When that was replaced, the mechanic said it needed some work on the sills.

Body guy had to weld the sills and said I'd be lucky to get the full year out of the car.

Then it failed the NCT on emissions. 0.47% instead of 0.3% I think?

I'm seriously uninterested in spending any more real money on the car. If a petrol additive will do the trick, that's fine, but otherwise, it seems dumb to replace engine parts in a car destined for the scrap heap in 12 months.

Do you guys thinking changing the oil myself and using a fuel additive (and maybe taking the car for a drive to Donegal and back with overdrive off) would do any good? Or should I just cheek it out for the last 3 months I need the car?

I'd appreciate any advice you can give.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Was it fully warmed up before the NCT? A cold engine will not do well in the NCT. You could try an injector cleaning additive, but giving it a good hard drive for 30 or 40 km before the NCT might get it back into shape well enough to get through.

Advertisement