Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three Weeks Today

• 30-01-2013 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭

Three weeks ago today I had a painful molar extraction and was told in no uncertain circumstances not to smoke for the rest of the day. Oddly enough I haven't smoked since and have no desire to do so either. I started smoking at around 10 and I am now 25, the longest I ever went without a cigarette in the past 15 years was one week. I do a lot of training (boxing) and have found my cardio ability has come on a lot, no more do I feel that painful, stinging burn in my lungs while sparring or doing pads. To be honest I'm a bit confused as this time last month I had zero intention to quit but now that I've come this far I've no desire to smoke again. Even the smell of them puts me off.

However, I do still have cravings that get set off by the weirdest things. I've been out to the pub a few times (not chopping my social life for the sake of fags) and have had minimal desire to smoke but if I see someone on the TV smoking I automatically want one. To be honest I'm having a fierce craving just typing this, reading or talking about fags sets me off but seeing my friends etc actually smoke doesn't.

Did anyone else find this and after how long do these cravings go away?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i was three weeks off them on tuesday and i know exactly what you are talking about...

would also like to know when the cravings are gone forever :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Treat this seriously. This could be a golden opportunity to get off the damn things and it probably wont come along again.

Dont test it by having one, and dont push it either. BE careful of booze too.

If you started that young your lungs have probably never had a chance to fully function and you're probably getting a good 10% more oxygen into your system, that can give you all kinds of benefits.

And best of luck. Take advantage of the gift. A few more weeks and you'll be over the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I remember reading somewhere that there's a major trigger point around twelve weeks in. And I failed a couple of times around that point.

So be aware.

It will get better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

davet82 wrote: »
    would also like to know when the cravings are gone forever :)

Im now 1 year and just over a month off them and I dont think the cravings are ever gone forever, but they become much rarer, much weaker, and totally manageable. My husband is off them 6 years and he claims he gets a very odd craving when he is out occasionally, but its fleeting.

For practicable purposes, its becomes substantially easier after 3 weeks. Probably after 2 or 3 months it becomes much more of a back of the mind things than a front of the mind thing. You also get the positive feedback of the longer investment you are off them, the less likely you will want to 'waste' that investment.

Hold steady, you are well through the worst, it just keeps getting easier, I was happy out from early on and feel better every day, I ran 6km yesterday, when I stopped smoking I couldnt run 6 metres and thats not a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Off them over a month now, including a trip to Las Vegas where I was surrounded by the rotten things but didn't smoke once. Even the smell of them makes me sick.

• Advertisement

Haven't smoked since. Positively delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

FTA69 wrote: »

Good on ya!! Welcome to freedom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

FTA69 wrote: »

Well done! :)

Off them 5 weeks today after reading easy way.I still kinda want one but just not smoking for some reason and have been around others who are smoking. Also I have not drank either so that could be a challenge :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭simonsays1

Hello,
    I'm off 3 weeks tomorrow-cannot believe it. I've been smoking for 10 years and became fed up with them.
    I use a patch for the socializing because that's the biggie as regards testing oneself.

ALL my friends smoke and I must admit not all of them are as joyful as I'd have expected-which makes me even more determined!!!
    I understand their angle as we spent soooooo mmuch time together smoking in pubs before the ban, smoking areas and fests etc ah well......
    My biggest craving is after dinner with my coffee-but I just say noooooooooo. I use this forum to keep me motivated! Thanks

SimonSays1

• Advertisement

Still haven't touched cigarettes and I no longer even get cravings. I'm back boxing and my fitness has come on leaps and bounds, I can run 5k in 25 minutes without being out of breath. I feel fantastic and I'm saving a fortune. Thanks for all your comments on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭animum

I am off the cigarettes now since the 17th of Jan.
    My 'favourite' smoke was the last one before I went to sleep. And I spent weeks trying to get to sleep at a decent hour.

But I am 3 months almost to the day and I am delighted to say I didn't crack once...my trick is to have a bottle of ice cold water and when I crave one, I sip on the water.....is better than grabbing the pack of biscuits. :)

In the last year, 4 members of my family have quit! I love that lots of people are quitting, it definitely helps to know other people have the cravings even after a few months. :) thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MazzR

Good on ye all!! I'm on day 5 an loving reading all this positivity...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭animum

MazzR wrote: »
    Good on ye all!! I'm on day 5 an loving reading all this positivity...

its not easy but definitely worth it. I found day 4-7 were the hardest for me...I signed up on Quit.ie and they used to email me daily, the amount i was saving and what improvement were being made...even on a daily basis. they also have little quizzes, cos apparently cravings last 3 mins and the quiz took that long to do...once I finished the quiz..the cravings were gone... it free and i thought it was a genuis idea.. better than any patches etc.. best of luck with it. :)

Advertisement