Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shiny Face

• 30-01-2013 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭CavanGal

Can anyone suggest a powder and foundation for someone with combination skin? My skin is dry after a shower and drinks moisturiser. However, as the day goes on, I find it gets very oily and shiny in the office air con. :(

At the moment, I use clinique foundation and Maxfactor powder. I find the Maxfactor gives good coverage but doesn't seem to last the day. I need both the powder and foundation to give good coverage and prevent the shine!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Might be worth checking out oil-reducing/sebum regulating moisturisers. I've found moisturiser to be one of the biggest causes of my shiny face. If my skin is dry and I put a little more than usual on, I end up with a shinier face during the day.

I used a KIKO matt moisturiser over the summer and loved it, but it has to be bought online as the nearest store is Westfield in London or mainland Europe. I've been using La Roche Posay Effaclar Mat for the past few days and it seems good, but I use a tiny bit of No7 Beautiful Skin Day Cream for oily skin on top because it has SPF (wouldn't rave about the No 7 cream, it does it's job and has the 5 star sun protection, but I prefer moisturisers which help to reduce shine more, plus it was about 14-16 euro so it's almost the same price as the Vichy/La Roche Posay alternatives).

I've recently gotten a sample of Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation and so far it's amazing :) Lasts close to 12 hours (without primer) on me

I use MAC Mineralise Skin Finish Natural as a powder to set my foundation and find it pretty good. However, it is the only powder I've ever tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Might be worth investing in a primer. My skin sounds similar to yours and i find Smashbox Photofinish Primer great. Really keeps the oil at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

Urban Decay De-slick make-up setting spray is great for holding make-up in place on combination skin.

TBH topping up with powder throughout the day is the only way. But the spray helps to keep foundation looking fresh.

That's my experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

I'm the same. Dry skin unless I use a good moisturiser but I get an oily tzone at about noon. I blot after 3-4 hours and maybe powder if I need it. Primers help I find too but can make my skin tight.
    Personally I feel more comfortable controlling shine and having comfortable skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Always had the same problem, but I've found it's gotten better since I started using Revlon Colourstay. They've a formula for oily/combination skin. I use Rimmel Stay Matte powder over that and it works quite well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭CavanGal

Thanks for all the responses!

gingernut, I find primer tightens my skin too so I think foundation and powder is the way to go.

bscm thanks for all the suggestions, I read about Laura Mercier concealer for bags under the eyes (something else I suffer from) on another thread so I will definitely check out her range.

A lot of my friends use MAC and I know it can be good but their makeup is often quite heavy and I prefer light natural makeup. Maybe they wear it heavy though. I think I'll go to a few different counters and try to figure out what suits me best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

Good luck, I'd say get a few samples of foundation at makeup counters and see what suits.
    I forgot to say, I use healthy mix foundation and powder, it's not bad for shine, but not mattifying either. I powder during the day with mac mineralise skin finish natural, if that's any help.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Mac Mineralize Skin Finish powder isn't very heavy, but it makes a difference. It's the only powder I'll buy now and I used to be a loyal Rimmel girl! It's more expensive but it lasts ages.

RE Mac foundations, I find it depends on the tools and how much you're actually putting on! A little goes a long way, and a stippling brush gives a great finish. I wouldn't rule them out completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I am the same way. Drives me nuts, especially as my skin can be so dry and tight in the morning then so shiny by the afternoon!

I keep it at bay with the following:

1- After I moisturise, give it 5-10 minutes to sink in. Can be a pain in the arse if I'm in a morning rush but it makes a difference.
    2- Apply Smashbox Photo Finish primer.
    3- Apply foundation (MAC Studio Fix)- a small amount, blend with stippling brush, followed by concealer etc.
    4- Apply MAC Blotting Powder on my shiny areas (nose/cheeks/forehead) followed by MAC Mineralize Skin Finish all over.

This usually does me for the day! However... I did notice when I worked in a VERY air-conditioned office the shine was much harder to control. Since moving to a non-air conditioned office I notice I a difference! Not sure if there's anything scientific to that, but it might be a factor if your workplace is similar.

I also force myself to drink water constantly. I reckon if it'll help with the dryness, it'll help with the shine/overproduction of grease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

I use Paese's matte base and it's perfect cause it glides over my dry skin but stops any shine throughout the day which I'd normally get around my nose area. I'd also invest in a good powder, I use Lush's face powder and with these two once I put on my makeup in the morning I don't need to touch it up all day:)

• Advertisement

I use nivea oil-free moisturiser and maybelline powder
    My skin would be mad oily and shiny otherwise
    http://beaut.ie/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/dream.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

Skin sounds more dehydrated to be honest, use an oil free moisturiser and maybe that would help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

CavanGal wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses!

gingernut, I find primer tightens my skin too so I think foundation and powder is the way to go.

bscm thanks for all the suggestions, I read about Laura Mercier concealer for bags under the eyes (something else I suffer from) on another thread so I will definitely check out her range.

A lot of my friends use MAC and I know it can be good but their makeup is often quite heavy and I prefer light natural makeup. Maybe they wear it heavy though. I think I'll go to a few different counters and try to figure out what suits me best.

Maybe you could try out a different primer than you've used before? They really can work wonders.

I've really combination skin. It's a pain in the arse. I get really dry spots and really oily spots :( I use oil-free moisturiser, and then foundation for dry skin (the two probably cancel each other out lol! But they work for me). I use Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder. It's the best powder I've used. I put it on in the morning with a kabuki brush so it gives full coverage but doesn't look caked on. If I need a top up during the day to a specific area I'll use a powder pad.

I use primer for nights out and it works wonders. I don't bother with them during the week when I'm only at work though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I find oil-blotting sheets really useful for getting rid of shine - the Body Shop have good ones. Also, paper towels are a surprisingly good alternative to blotting sheets too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I have really oily skin and am using the Clinique acne solutions foundation which is good but I can't recommend Mac's blot powder enough. It's AMAZING plus it lasts ages :)

Advertisement